Question about use of gun..... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question about use of gun.....

Asturcon
03-11-2007, 17:23
Here's something that happened to me today that I would like to get feedback on...

I live in Polk County and was walking my dog this morning, on a leash, when a pitbull that was loose began approaching us down the street. My wife retreated with our dog but the pitbull continued toward us, increasing his pace. I was carrying my gun and was ready to use it when the pitbull would reach a closer range and if he did not stop. When he was about 25 feet from us, his owner arrived in a pickup and was able to get him before he got to us.

Question: Would it have been reasonable and legal (as I believe it would have been) to have shot at the dog when he was at a closer distance (remember, he was charging at us)?

We were retreating and the dog was increasing his pace. My wife and I both felt an increasing and imminent danger to ourselves and our dog.

Any feedback that we can get on this would be greatly appreciated!

:wavey:

Usingmyrights
03-11-2007, 20:37
Alot of it is going to depend on the responding officer. I'm no lawyer, but I would say yes. You said that you felt that you were in danger. I think alot of it would depend on any witnesses, and if the dog was just coming in your direction, or was aggressivly coming in your direction.

noway
03-12-2007, 08:56
Must I remind you of the guy you nearly got killed by a pack of pitts here in SE/FLA

http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_061113807.html

If th dog is not on an leash, not in somebody control or in a fenced area and is advancing on you, do whatever is needed to survie.

You DON'T HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE TEETH TO BITE YOU.

;)

sidewinder6
03-12-2007, 15:09
At least two people in fear of their life. Your justified. I think you should make a report about the incident that occurred. No need to mention your question here and having the weapon, just that you were almost attacked by a lose Pit Bull and were in fear. You might get a chance to re-visit this problem in your neighborhood and when you do, you have a case number to give the investigators from before. Nobody normally cherishes the idea about using deadly force, but you should take every advantage to stack the deck legally in your favor because once you shoot, nobody you speak to will be your friend at the initial response except your wife and that is only depending on your domestic situation. :supergrin: