PCs to be compatible with MS's Live [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : PCs to be compatible with MS's Live

RF7126
03-14-2007, 13:40
I know this is old news for most of you, but for those who haven't heard about it:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/fun.games/03/14/microsoft.games.live.reut/index.html

Microsoft to PC gamers: Prepare to go Live
POSTED: 11:00 a.m. EDT, March 14, 2007
Story Highlights
Microsoft opens Live online service to PC gamers using Vista
PC version of Live will debut May 8
Live members will need just one account

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Microsoft Corp. Wednesday said its Live online service, which has attracted 6 million Xbox 360 console gamers, will be open in May to PC gamers who use its new Windows Vista operating system.

The move comes nearly a year after Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates said the company's vision was for "anywhere" gaming that would link video game consoles, cell phones and computers, and is a key step toward reaching that goal.

The PC version of Live will debut on May 8 with the launch of the Windows Vista version of "Halo 2," Microsoft's popular alien shooter game.

In June, Microsoft Game Studios will release "Shadowrun," the first game where Live will support competition between players on the Xbox 360 and PCs.

Live members will need just one account, whether they play on the Xbox 360, the PC, or both machines.

Microsoft offers two Live subscription levels. Silver membership is free and the Gold level, which includes cross-platform play and other multiplayer features, costs about $50 per year.

Microsoft's online gaming service has been a key selling point for its Xbox 360 video game console, which was released in November 2005 and competes with Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Co. Ltd.'s Wii for top billing in the $30 billion global video game market.

Copyright 2007 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Tvov
03-16-2007, 09:17
So... you have to pay to play online against console gamers? Otherwise, what is the point? All my online gaming is basically free right now.

RF7126
03-21-2007, 14:45
I suppose it's designed for PC gamers who have friends that are console gamers. I think it's a decent idea, but paying for it is definitely an issue.

Tvov
03-21-2007, 18:07
lol, well maybe it will solve once and for all the question of which platform is better for first person shooters, console (game controller) or PC (keyboard and mouse). I don't know how many threads in gaming forums I've read where people argue back and forth about which is better.

All I know is that I am so used to keyboard and mouse, that I am terrible at using a controller.

Rereading the original post, it looks like Microsoft will not be releasing Halo2 for PC's with XP? just Vista? I am a little surprised, as MS would make more money releasing a game that can be played on both systems. I was a big HaloPC player for a year+.