Ok all of you Hoosier cookers... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ok all of you Hoosier cookers...

Indy_Guy_77
03-14-2007, 16:57
Do you put bacon in your green beans or not?

Cook your green beans for hours or not?

No one makes 'em like grandma...cooked for hours with 3-4 slices of bacon cut up in the mix.

MmmMmMmm

epsylum
03-14-2007, 17:04
I open the frozen bag, dump them in a pot of water, and heat. Then again I am lazy.

I do prefer them cooked with bacon if I am not the one cooking. ;)

biggl35
03-14-2007, 17:41
I dont cook. (There was a incident)

The GF does all the cooking, and you all should feel safer knowing that.

aux reduit
03-14-2007, 18:18
Just save your bacon grease, then you can make them taste that way on short notice and with a lot less work.

TLHelmer
03-14-2007, 19:09
Man In Southern Indiana a cooker means something entirely different. You had me worried this was going to be something about Meth!:animlol:

boilergonzo
03-14-2007, 19:57
Maybe Green beans and bacon are code words for psuedoephedrine and ammonia?

I do like bacon in my beans! However, I also confess to opening a can and throwing a bowl in the microwave out of sheer laziness (apparently I am supposed to make sure the kids get veggies...).

eprn
03-14-2007, 21:07
You must have bacon with beans. Duh

Harlequin
03-15-2007, 05:06
I prefer smoked sausage and potatoes. Cook in the crock pot all day. Good eatin'...

KSFreeman
03-15-2007, 06:10
I could not help thinking about meth as well.

Should you not change this title to "chefs"? "Cookers" seems less than optimal.:shocked:

mpholic
03-15-2007, 06:28
Originally posted by KSFreeman
"Cookers" seems less than optimal.:shocked:

How bad have things gotten that an innocent word like cooker has become deragatory?

:rant:

KSFreeman
03-15-2007, 06:50
Sorry, mp, hazards of the gig.:supergrin:

mpholic
03-15-2007, 07:07
Originally posted by KSFreeman
Sorry, mp, hazards of the gig.:supergrin:

I'm not blaming you, sorry if that was the way I came across, I was blaming the current state of our society. It's so sad when you wake up every morning and there is nothing positive on the news. Another shooting at a bar overnight (a everyday event it seems), another parent abusing or killing one of his own children :steamed:, another young woman attacked as she travels to work or home, etc...

Cooker being interpreted as anything other than someone cooking food is just another sign of our times. :rant:

Unlocked
03-15-2007, 07:34
Bacon grease AND jowl bacon, plus salt and pepper of course. Cook em forever sometimes with, sometimes without a few potatoes.

minuteman32
03-15-2007, 08:56
I prefer a few green beans w/ my bacon....

Actually, I just open the can, put them on the stove & add a bunch of pepper. I don't add bacon to my green beans, generally.

Indy_Guy_77
03-16-2007, 19:55
Ok... So MAYBE I could've phrased that a bit differently! :animlol:

I've never known anyone outside of Indiana to even THINK of putting bacon in with the beans...which is why I "ax'd". If you ever come across anyone OUTSIDE of Indiana who does this, I would suggest that there's a high probability that either they, or a close relative is from here!

Kind of like Euchre players... They're from the midwest, or their folks were. (or were taught by service buddies).

-J-

Pitmaster
03-19-2007, 17:15
I'm new here, but I've always put bacon in green beans. My grandmother and mother did too and I've been eating them that way for over 50 years. We're also Jayhawkers and know how to eat.

BTW, this is my first post, I've been lurking for a day and came across this thread. I've recently become interested in shooting and am surfing the net and local gun stores to figure out what I want. Right now I'm leaning towards a Glock, but won't make a final purchase until after I've completed a safety class and rented a few guns to see what I like. I live in South Bend.

biggl35
03-19-2007, 17:34
Welcome to the board bdcbbq.

9mm Luger
03-19-2007, 20:32
Originally posted by TLHelmer
Man In Southern Indiana a cooker means something entirely different. You had me worried this was going to be something about Meth!:animlol:
:rofl: :rofl:

That was the first thing that crossed my mind... meth and the war on drugs when I read the thread title.

And I am another non cooking person. :)

G7
03-20-2007, 00:04
My Grandma ALWAYS made them that way. (West Virginia)