set this guy straight [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : set this guy straight

danceswithglock
03-15-2007, 17:34
Here's a link to a discussion were having aon archerytalk.com, I'm danceswithbow on that sight, I need some help setting these guys straight on glocks. here's the link

http://archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?p=4300524&posted=1#post4300524

Glockapotamus
03-15-2007, 17:54
What are they so out of line about? They said glocks are good weapons. They are right about a 9mm not being effective against bears. Am I missing something?

B Coyote
03-15-2007, 17:55
There is no hope for some people. Those are such people.

Link them here to read around awhile. :)

bc

ecmills
03-15-2007, 18:06
They don't have a problem with Glocks. They have a problem with 9mm. While I carry a 9 primarily due to the reasons that 1) Newer bullet designs have largely eliminated the advantage larger calibers have, and 2)I shoot too much to afford anything more expensive... There are people out there that aren't fond of 9mm.

Personally, I think they're right in this instance. But I wouldn't be carrying a .357 revolver for Bear protection, either. I'd pick a 10mm fullsize Glock with the hottest load available.

Power AND capacity, in one package.

Glockapotamus
03-15-2007, 18:11
Seriously. What am I missing. All I saw was a typical opinionated caliber discussion. No glock bashing. They are nuts for trying to stop a bear with either gun. Me, I'm running. I don't have to outrun the bear. Just the person I'm with!

danceswithglock
03-15-2007, 18:19
The part that glocks have no safety bothered me.

Glockapotamus
03-15-2007, 18:25
Oh. OK. well... hes sorta right. I know the term external manual safety is the technical term, but in most mentalities thats sort of implied. People don't really think of the glocks internal safeties. If I carried a purse or a man bag I don't think I'd carry a fully loaded glock in it either. Too much stuff to get caught up in the trigger.

danceswithglock
03-15-2007, 18:36
Well, I stand corrected, I'm selling my Glock for a 357 revolver.:thumbsup:

LabTech
03-15-2007, 18:45
Also, the guy who was extolling the greatness of the XD used the term "clip" instead of "magazine." Not a soul crucified him for it...by God we would have here, though.:animlol:

Many9's
03-15-2007, 19:51
Originally posted by danceswithglock
Well, I stand corrected, I'm selling my Glock for a 357 revolver.:thumbsup:

If you really expect to have a bear problem, make it a .44 Mag.

Black Ice
03-15-2007, 20:07
Originally posted by danceswithglock
Here's a link to a discussion were having aon archerytalk.com, I'm danceswithbow on that sight, I need some help setting these guys straight on glocks. here's the link

http://archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?p=4300524&posted=1#post4300524

:smoking: ....
Yo dances. I use to be a very avid Archer..Thank's for the link..

danceswithglock
03-15-2007, 20:13
No problem, I spend a ton of time there.

Cobra64
03-15-2007, 22:38
Originally posted by ecmills

Personally, I think they're right in this instance. But I wouldn't be carrying a .357 revolver for Bear protection, either. I'd pick a 10mm fullsize Glock with the hottest load available.

Power AND capacity, in one package. Most of the articles I've read about big game protection is to use a revolver due to its reliability factor. Personally, I don't care since I don't mess with bears.

686Owner
03-15-2007, 23:18
Originally posted by Many9's
If you really expect to have a bear problem, make it a rifle

Fixed.

3rdpig
03-15-2007, 23:55
I wouldn't go into any bear country with only a 9mm for protection. I'd have at least a .357 revolver and probably my Glock 20 or Ruger 44 mag. And that's for black bear. If I was going into brown bear territory I doubt I'd go without a rifle, but if I could only have a handgun it would be a .500 S&W revolver with DT rounds. Some of them produce 3000 ft pounds of energy!

TAG G30
03-15-2007, 23:57
Originally posted by LabTech
Also, the guy who was extolling the greatness of the XD used the term "clip" instead of "magazine." Not a soul crucified him for it...by God we would have here, though.:animlol:

Such sins never go unpunished on GT!! :animlol:

Huntinfool
03-16-2007, 09:36
I'm not going to join the forum just to argue with these guys.

But the guy who said buy an XD and you'll throw that Glock in the trash. Well someone needs to tell him imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

And another thing I carry a 9mm G19 loaded with 15 Black Talons that's 147 grains of broadhead type HPs I doubt anything shot with it is going to like it!

Chuck

romperstomper
03-16-2007, 14:29
Here are my thoughts, based on a long investigation of the "bear" issue. I live in Black bear country. There is an estimated population fo 300+ in my state, which is relatively low. They are a problem and have broken into homes. It's just a matter of time until they kill someone at which point I hope the legislature lets us hunt them in a limitted season like deer.

Anyway, Glock 9mm may be high capacity but a charging bear is not going to wait while you hit him with 15 rounds. A .357 is a better choice. It was specifically manufactured for hunting, it hits harder, it is more reliable (although this point is debatable because I have seen revolvers jam/lock up and it is not pretty). Nevertheless, I would not expect to get off more than 2-3 rounds on a charging bear in the woods. Perhaps in an open field it would be different and you could shoot more, but black bears live in the woods. And all bears are very fast, faster than a horse in a full sprint, so I really would doubt that you could get more than 5 or 6 good shots at best, especially with a ferocious charging bear. You would want the most powerful weapon you could get because your best bet is one well placed lethal shot rather than spray and pray. Bears are heavy, with thick skulls and bones. The 9mm with 147 grain FMJ might be a "doable." But a 158 grain FMJ .357 Magnum traveling 200 fps faster is a better choice IMO.

For me, a 230 gr ball +P .45 Auto would be ideal because a revolver's long and heavy trigger would make it more likely to be jerked off target under the stress of a bear attack.

I don't own a .45 or a .357. For $40 I just purchased a very high quality bear spray and feel safer than I would have otherwise.