PDA

View Full Version : water in oil

manonmars
03-17-2007, 19:18
88 Town Car
302 engine
Ran well last fall.
Runs fine now

BUT, water in the oil. I pulled dip stick to check level, & there it was.

I have only put 300 miles on it since last fall.

Started it a few times during freezing winter time, but I don't think it reached full op temp.

Has anti-freeze protection to -35.

Someone told me that it is condensation.

I'm going to change oil tomorrow, but any thoughts?

I've never experienced this.

Has anyone out there seen this from condensation?

Hopefully YES....

glock_19_9mm
03-17-2007, 20:29
The only time I have heard of water in the oil is from a blown head gasket.... Hope I am wrong though...

ScarFace88
03-17-2007, 20:54
^+1. The only other time I have heard of water in the oil is if the block is cracked. I would do a compression test just to be sure that the HG isn't toast.

Geeorge
03-18-2007, 01:07
Did the dipstick come out like it was dipped in white grease or did in just have some white in the oil?

If it's just some white in the oil I'd drive it around for a couple of days and see if it burns the water out.As it's probably just condensation not being burnt off because the engine was never allowed to fully warm up:thumbsup:

Lone Wolff
03-18-2007, 13:08
Originally posted by Cletus VanDamme
Did the dipstick come out like it was dipped in white grease or did in just have some white in the oil?

If it's just some white in the oil I'd drive it around for a couple of days and see if it burns the water out.As it's probably just condensation not being burnt off because the engine was never allowed to fully warm up:thumbsup:

+1

Change the oil & filter. Fairly common to occur when making short trips if engine never gets good and hot. If your thermostat sticks open, that also will keep your engine from getting as hot as it should which can also prevent the moisture from evaporating like it should.

manonmars
03-18-2007, 17:47
It's been warm for the last week....65-70

Car's been sitting.

I took this for a 20 mile drive.

No more water!

Oil cleaned up fine.

I learned sompun'!

It was condensation.

Thanks for all your replies.

Whew!