Lava Lamp and a Close Call [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lava Lamp and a Close Call

R. Emmelman
03-18-2007, 05:08
Well it was an exciting evening in the Emmelman household last night. The wife and daughter were in my bedroom watching something on Animal Planet while I sat here in the front room doing some programming. At about 9:40 pm I heard someone pull into our driveway (not unusual as we are the third house from the end of a dead end street). A couple of seconds later someone was knocking rather loudly at our storm door. Seeing that it was late and we never have guests drop by I went into the bedroom and retrieved my pistol. I then heard the car door shut and what sounded like the car pulling out of the drive. I reached over to turn off the overhead front room light so I could look out the front window. There was also a table lamp next to the window and vertical blinds. As I reached over to the table lamp I heard what sounded like a brick hitting the front window followed by a shower of glass. Still not fully understanding what just happened a second loud noise sounded and more glass and drywall flew into the air. I then realized that two shots had been taken at my house. MPD was called and did their normal stellar job in investigating the incident (including recovering the two bullets). One round went through the front window and hit a steel music stand. The other went through the wall and into the kitchen where it hit the back wall and bounced back into the front room. Looking back at where I was when the shots where fired one round went to the left of me and the other to the right. Only by the grace of God both missed me by inches.

Oh, the only fatality, a lava lamp on the table next to the window. BOY those things explode! Glass EVERYWHERE through the house!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/wi9ndy/100_4369.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/wi9ndy/100_4373.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/wi9ndy/100_4364.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/wi9ndy/100_4365.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/wi9ndy/100_4372.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/wi9ndy/100_4370.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/wi9ndy/100_4367.jpg

biggl35
03-18-2007, 06:30
Rich, I am glad your are OK.

Holy Cow, what part of Indy do you live in?

Have you had any "issues" with somebody?

Now is the time to step-up the home defense plan, go to DEFCON 5.

Again, I am glad you and your family or OK.

R. Emmelman
03-18-2007, 06:34
bigcraig

I am here at 30th and Mittheoffer. This use to be a nice neighborhood. We had no crime. Things have changed over the last 5 years or so. Only thing I can think is they had the wrong house. We have no dealings with our neighbors or any of that ilk.

Indy_Guy_77
03-18-2007, 09:02
holy crap...

Glad you grabbed your pistol instead of opening the door!

Also very glad that everyone else is OK.

Time to buy a Rem 870 Mariner to keep near the door.

-J-

FThorn
03-18-2007, 10:14
Sorry to hear about this. I guess it's a real-life lesson in penetration. Drywall is not a good protector.

Geeorge
03-18-2007, 11:35
Glad you are ok,I just looked at a house at 10th and german church just north of the school:shocked:

R. Emmelman
03-18-2007, 12:01
Originally posted by Cletus VanDamme
Glad you are ok,I just looked at a house at 10th and german church just north of the school:shocked:
I know of one at 30th and Mitthoeffer that will soon be up for sale :animlol:

KSFreeman
03-18-2007, 12:16
Glad you are O.K. Time to start that Crime Watch Program in your neighborhood.:shocked:

I grew up on High School Road (between 10th and Rockville). I am shocked to hear that this is going in Speedway/West side.

R. Emmelman
03-18-2007, 12:27
Originally posted by KSFreeman
Glad you are O.K. Time to start that Crime Watch Program in your neighborhood.:shocked:

I grew up on High School Road (between 10th and Rockville). I am shocked to hear that this is going in Speedway/West side.
Thanks Kirk, We tried to form a crimewatch about 15 years ago but nobody was interested. Back than we had no crime to talk of. Now I am afraid that no one would want to form one because most of them are the crime.

:sad:

biggl35
03-18-2007, 16:12
Originally posted by KSFreeman

Kirk, I might be living in your old house! :shocked:

Patrick Graham
03-18-2007, 17:19
Glad to hear no one was hurt... I hope they get the bastard..

About 6 years ago someone pumped 7 rounds of 9mm into the house across the street from us.. It was scary..

boilergonzo
03-18-2007, 18:27
I am shocked and saddened to learn this. We had a theft of items from our cars a few months back and it changed the way we think and behave (Greenfield has always been very safe, but we now have folks driving out from the east side of town... and my wife's purse was recovered there). I can't imagine your thoughts now.

I pray it is an isolated event, and you never have anything so terrible at your doorstep again.

epsylum
03-18-2007, 19:05
Wow man. I don't even know what to say. Getting shot at by some random person for no reason would a. freak me the hell out, and b. piss me off to no end. I would be walking around my house for the next month with my AR slung ready to return fire in case they decided to come back. I had some bad things happen to me when I lived in some not-so-great areas, but I have never been shot at and for no reason at that.

I hope the cops get some sort of leads (any neighbors see the car?) and catch the a-holes. It would be nice if they would let you take some blind shots at them too while they are at it. ;)

R. Emmelman
03-18-2007, 19:33
epsylum

I am afraid that I an the victum of too much crime and not enough crime fighters. IMPD did a stellar job in responding and taking the report. However I am sure they do not have the manpower to "canvass" the neighbors on such an incident. Unless they catch the shooters doing another crime and can link them to this one it will just go down as report.

sjstill
03-18-2007, 19:51
Dang, Rich, sorry to hear this. Glad you and the family are OK (or as OK as can be....).

Beats the truck almost driving into our bedroom!:animlol: :rofl: :tongueout:

Seriously, glad no one was hurt.

rhino465
03-18-2007, 21:34
Originally posted by R. Emmelman

. . . I went into the bedroom and retrieved my pistol.

I'm really glad no one in your home was injured! That is really scary.

To all:

PLEASE at least CONSIDER carrying on your person all the time when you are home. You may not have the few seconds necessary to go to another room to arm yourself, or even the moments needed to cross a room to reach on a shelf or behind a sofa cushion. If you carry on your person, you will have more time to react effectively regardless of what happens.

mpholic
03-19-2007, 06:02
Originally posted by rhino465
PLEASE at least CONSIDER carrying on your person all the time when you are home. You may not have the few seconds necessary to go to another room to arm yourself, or even the moments needed to cross a room to reach on a shelf or behind a sofa cushion. If you carry on your person, you will have more time to react effectively regardless of what happens.

As much as it saddens me to do so I have to agree wholeheatedly with Rhino. It's terrible that we even have to consider these measures in our own homes but that's the world we live in these days.

Don't count on it getting any better either.

Man....:shakehead: I have become a real cynic. :shakehead:

R. Emmelman
03-19-2007, 06:37
Anyone want to buy a home on the east side? I will even patch the hole. :)

boilergonzo
03-19-2007, 08:07
My offer on the house was contingent upon inclusion of the lava lamp...

Sorry!

minuteman32
03-19-2007, 08:11
Anyone want to buy a home on the east side? I will even patch the hole. :)

Pehaps you could sell it to a ........ holey man:rofl:

Sorry, I can hardly stand it myself! I am glad that your okay. I hope they get whomever is involved.

R. Emmelman
03-19-2007, 08:19
Originally posted by boilergonzo
My offer on the house was contingent upon inclusion of the lava lamp...

Sorry!
Accepted, I still have the lamp. Most of it is in a garbage bag but there is still quite a bit scattered around the house.

9mm Luger
03-19-2007, 20:29
Man that is scary, glad to hear that you and your family are ok.

What do you have on the outside of the house vinyl siding or wood? Hope it won't to hard to repair.

R. Emmelman
03-20-2007, 04:59
9mm Luger

Thanks. The outside is a stucco type material so no problem fixing it. The glass is a large picture window type however.

Fenway
03-20-2007, 10:19
DAMN :shocked: Glad you are ok!

toots shor
03-20-2007, 11:18
that is insane. makes you think carrying, even when at home, is a good idea. if your daughter is old enough, perhaps not a bad idea to keep a shotgun close at hand too?

MakeMineaP99
03-20-2007, 15:01
Did MPD give you any details?

--about the bullets (handgun rounds I assume)?

--Possibly gang related?

--Robbery gone bad?

Glad everyone is ok. Look on the bright side, you get to spend some time in the hardware store. :supergrin:

B Coyote
03-20-2007, 16:41
Glad to hear you and your family are OK.

bc

R. Emmelman
03-21-2007, 05:47
Originally posted by MakeMineaP99
Did MPD give you any details?

--about the bullets (handgun rounds I assume)?

--Possibly gang related?

--Robbery gone bad?

Glad everyone is ok. Look on the bright side, you get to spend some time in the hardware store. :supergrin:

No, there were/are no more details available. The responding officers did recover the two rounds (one was pretty much destroyed and the other mushroomed but the back part intact). They pretty much indicated that unless they caught the shooters on another incident that they probably would not be able to find out who did it. I also heard from another MPD source that they probably had the wrong address and were trying to intimidate someone. I think if it had been a robbery attempt they would not have knocked on the storm door.

BTW had the window repaired yesterday, $280.00. Go talk to the RealtorŪ Friday :)

singlestacksig
03-23-2007, 16:20
MPD source that they probably had the wrong address and were trying to intimidate someone. I think if it had been a robbery attempt they would not have knocked on the storm door.

BTW had the window repaired yesterday, $280.00. Go talk to the RealtorŪ Friday :)

Sounds like they did intimidate someone, you.. if you are really thinking of moving..
unfortunatly the local gangs may want to take over your block and see you as a 'good guy'

R. Emmelman
03-24-2007, 06:08
Originally posted by singlestacksig
Sounds like they did intimidate someone, you.. if you are really thinking of moving..
unfortunatly the local gangs may want to take over your block and see you as a 'good guy'
I wouldn't say "intimidate", more like prod me into making a decision that I was thinking about for some time now.

FThorn
03-24-2007, 09:17
I call it a logical decision. There are infinite places to live in this world, why not move on? Keep safe.

R. Emmelman
03-25-2007, 21:06
Originally posted by FThorn
I call it a logical decision. There are infinite places to live in this world, why not move on? Keep safe.
Partly true as I do have to stay local to Indy until retirement :) Then....