Clipdraw legal in Ohio? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Clipdraw legal in Ohio?

smittyG27
03-18-2007, 15:15
Would a clipdraw be legal to use in ohio? Or do we have to use a holster.

The way I read everything, the gun would have to be in a holster.

Thanks.

shadow_dog
03-18-2007, 17:57
I have wondered the same thing. I am considering getting a clip for my KelTec P40.

firedog978
03-18-2007, 19:23
I do have a belt clip on a KelTec P-32 (it fits pocket holster with it on).

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s135/firedog978/IMG_0127-1.jpg

But Ohio law states IT MUST BE IN A HOLSTER.
So, when carrying the gun in Ohio you must use a holster.

Ol' 12-toes
03-19-2007, 09:00
Originally posted by smittyG27
Would a clipdraw be legal to use in ohio? Or do we have to use a holster.

The way I read everything, the gun would have to be in a holster.

Thanks. TTBOMK -

the clipdraw would be legal if you were not in or an a motor vehicle.

glockman513
03-26-2007, 09:58
Originally posted by firedog978

But Ohio law states IT MUST BE IN A HOLSTER.
So, when carrying the gun in Ohio you must use a holster.
But the law doesn't specifically define what a holster is, nor the requirement for a retention strap. With this lack of a specific definition, why couldn't you use your waistband as a holster.

firedog978
03-26-2007, 11:24
Originally posted by jsh008
But the law doesn't specifically define what a holster is, nor the requirement for a retention strap. With this lack of a specific definition, why couldn't you use your waistband as a holster.

As stated above; if you are not in a vehicle you can use a clip. You're only required to have it in a holster (per the Ohio AG laws on concealed carry), if you are in a vehicle and carrying concealed. And, there is no mention of a retention strap being necessary for said holster.

I didn't mean to cause confusion. The only time a holster is mentioned as necessary while carrying concealed is if in a vehicle and it's on your person. According to the Ohio AG website on concealed carry, there is no other time stated as having to have a weapon holstered.

Go here: http://www.ag.state.oh.us/spotlight/ccw.asp

Ol' 12-toes
03-26-2007, 20:20
---------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------

Please, Lord, deliver us from Philadelphia lawyers -

If a manufacturer calls something that he makes a 'holster,' a case can be made that it is legal for motor vehicle carry -

Granted that some articles of apparel are provided with features intended to hold a gun, how many trouser manufacturers call their waistbands 'holsters?'

Roadking522
03-28-2007, 06:35
(Definition: Holster - a holder for carrying a handgun or other firearm) I use a Clipdraw exclusively on my PM9 and my G26, in both 12:00 and 4:30 positions. Very comfortable and very secure. It is my understanding that they quilify as holsters but like everything else on here, opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one . . .

Dave Williams
03-28-2007, 07:32
In the CCW class I co-instruct I tell the students re the clip draw: "don't be the test case". The law is just too unspecific.

Roadking522, doesn't having the 26 make you nervous IWB with no covering on the trigger guard?

Dave Williams

Roadking522
03-28-2007, 11:20
Originally posted by Dave Williams
In the CCW class I co-instruct I tell the students re the clip draw: "don't be the test case". The law is just too unspecific.

Roadking522, doesn't having the 26 make you nervous IWB with no covering on the trigger guard?

Dave Williams

Hi Dave. No - not a bit. I've read all the possible "cons" about so doing, but simply can't imagine my clothing binding enough to pull that trigger. I just don't know how it could happen and frankly, think it's paranoia to believe it possible. (but of course - that's just me) To "accidently" fire a Glock or Kahr is, well, really really hard. Obviously, we all have our own "comfort" zone but I am quite comfortable with the set up and have carried daily in this fashion for years.

Dave Williams
03-28-2007, 11:33
Roadking522,

Thanks for the reply. I know several guys who carry IWB with Glocks with no holster, and a relative of mine uses the clipdraw with his G33 and he really likes it. You are right, it is a comfort zone issue.

Dave Williams

anyplainjoe
03-29-2007, 07:52
Originally posted by Dave Williams

Dave Williams

That's what my CCW instructor said too!

thorn137
03-30-2007, 14:51
It's not a holster, it's a clip. Just as a lanyard isn't a holster.

thorn

anyplainjoe
03-30-2007, 15:07
Originally posted by anyplainjoe
That's what my CCW instructor said too!

That CCW class was the wisest $150 I've spent. Well, it was the wife's Christmas gift to me, but I'm sure you guys get the point!