Care package question... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Care package question...

Greycat
03-20-2007, 00:18
Hello all,

We've got a young Marine in the family, my Wife's cousin, who's heading out to the sandbox. Not sure about exactly where he's going, or when he'll get there, as you know those things are sensitive, but he's going, so we're looking at getting care packages/supplies to him while he's deployed.

I seem to remember someone mentioning to me a while back, that there was a way to get packages expedited that are going to our servicemen overseas. Something about an organization that would verify that we do have family serving, and that we would be following approved guidelines, which would then somehow expedite the process of getting things sent to our Marine. Is anyone familiar with something like that? Sorry for the lack of details, but it was something mentioned in passing a couple of years ago, before our young cousin had even decided to join the Marine Corps. I'd appreciate it if anyone knows anything about it.

Also, does anyone have any good suggestions for care packages? I know we have to be careful not to send certain things, but I was thinking of a few current outdoors and hunting magazines, the ever asked for beef jerky, maybe some PowerBar stuff, or Girl Scout Cookies, and even though he doesn't smoke, I was thinking a few packs of cigs that he could use to barter for anything else he might need amongst his fellows. Anything obvious that I'm missing?

Thanks for the help,

G

Tangodown0311
03-21-2007, 06:01
Here's a pretty complete list of things that would be helpful to include in a care package: http://americansnipers.org/items.html
Needless to say, don't buy everything on that list and box it up and send it over there.

But definately protein bars, magazines, good sunblock, waterless hand sanitizer (purell), stamps, envelopes and other stationary is a good start.

When I was out there, my brother sent me a few boxes of Breakfree CLP towelettes and a .22 cal rifle Boresnake for quick in the field cleaning of my rifle. Helped tremendously out there. A Specter Gear "dump pouch" is another useful item you can send him.

Good luck to him, and Semper Fi!

RM
03-26-2007, 05:13
A big things is to really wrap up, preferable vacuum pack, anything with a scent if you are sending food. We use to get care packages, that the food was not eatable because everything tasted like soap.

lethrnk
03-27-2007, 12:30
socks, skivvies (underwear).

Ignition
04-03-2007, 07:05
well in the time I have been out here.... i have enjoyed some of the random stuff.

but more importantly letters from home do just fine. pictures too

and if possible ask him what he wants ;-p

Mail call always brightens my day out here