Moving to Victoria, and then Corpus [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Victoria, and then Corpus

10 Ring Tao
03-21-2007, 15:07
Ok, so my brother got a nice job after graduating, with haliburton, down in your great state. First he'll be in victoria for orientation and training, and about six months later he'll be in corpus.

Hes interested in having a gun, and has enjoyed shooting mine several times.

So I guess this is a two part post. The first is, some recommendations for living in the two above mentioned places (fun things to do, places to buy guns, places to hunt, places to avoid). The second, is a primer on buying guns in TX, and how he would be able to protect himself while out in the oil fields until he can get a CCW (both handgun and long gun).

I guess third would be, does anyone have a glock 19 they want to sell him for when he gets down there next week?

Thanks guys, I'll pass on whatever advice you can throw at me, and also encourage him to join up here and talk to you guys directly.

:cheers:

S.O.Interceptor
03-21-2007, 18:11
I am from Victoria and I almost moved back there a couple of years ago, but I haven't actually lived there in a long time. I like Victoria persnally, but once my brother moved I don't have a reason to go back. There use to be a nice gun shop down there (I think it was on Navarro St.) a couple of years ago, but I don't know if it's still there or what their prices were like.

As far as carrying, it is perfectly legal to carry a loaded rifle and/or shotgun in your vehicle in Texas, concealed or unconcealed without any type of license as long as he can legally own the gun. But he will have to take a CHL course, qualify, and pass a TX DPS background to get his CHL for a handgun. He won't be able to carry a weapon on him until he does that. And all though a recent change in the wording of the law says it is legal to carry a concealed handgun in your vehicle in TX, he might get arrested for it. It has not been challenged in court as of yet. Some officers will arrest for it and some DAs will prosecute for it. It's better to just get a CHL and not worry about it.

10 Ring Tao
03-21-2007, 18:29
Originally posted by S.O.Interceptor
And all though a recent change in the wording of the law says it is legal to carry a concealed handgun in your vehicle in TX, he might get arrested for it. It has not been challenged in court as of yet. Some officers will arrest for it and some DAs will prosecute for it. It's better to just get a CHL and not worry about it.

I read about that.

http://tsra.com/docs/abovethelaw.swf

What a damn crock, I'd never have expected such a run around and blatant disregard for the intent of a law, in texas.

Thanks for the other advice, I think I'm going to tell him to pick up a cheap pump shotty to stick behind the seat until he gets a CCW.

gmckinl
03-21-2007, 21:49
To address the hunting questions...

What kind of hunting? Deer, waterfowl, small game? Virtually all hunting in TX is on private property via a lease agreement. Very little public land for a state as big as TX. Actually, very little even for a state as small as Rhode Island :animlol: He needs to just plan on paying for a lease if he wants to hunt. Price varies widely by area/quality.

Deer hunting in TX is mostly a scoped bolt action affair. Lever action 30-30s, iron sights, or slugs are just too range limited to be widely useful across most of the state. There is no special muzzle loader season. You do get a lot of deer tags w/ your license. In north TX areas, deer season runs from ~ 1st Sat in Nov till 1st Sun in Jan. South TX is somewhat different IIRC.

You didn't ask, but somewhat related... best to forget about going out somewhere and just plinking / target shooting. Unless you own land, plan on shooting only at ranges from now on. Big generalization, but better than 90% odds of being the case. Again, lack of public land is the cause. My wife has shot some the whole 25 years we've been married and she said the other day that she could not remember ever shooting a gun outdoors (actually she has, but only twice).

Welcome to your brother. Hope he enjoys his new career. Be sure you also come down for a visit.

mike4045
03-22-2007, 20:12
I live in Victoria, and work for his competition in this area. There are a few gun stores in town. The guns stores in town are pretty good as far as pricing. If he goes to the local sporting goods store he will pay alot more.
I don't have a 19 for sale right now, but may have a px4 storm. They area easy to find and fairly cheap.
I think Victoria has more actual gun stores than Corpus. Corpus is twice as big.

Mike

10 Ring Tao
03-22-2007, 21:32
Originally posted by mike4045
I live in Victoria, and work for his competition in this area. There are a few gun stores in town. The guns stores in town are pretty good as far as pricing. If he goes to the local sporting goods store he will pay alot more.
I don't have a 19 for sale right now, but may have a px4 storm. They area easy to find and fairly cheap.
I think Victoria has more actual gun stores than Corpus. Corpus is twice as big.

Mike

Any chance you'd be willing to spend an hour or so to show him around town once he's down there? The bars, the places to avoid, the gunshops, fun things to do/see?

Hawkes
03-22-2007, 21:37
Originally posted by 10 Ring Tao
Ok, so my brother got a nice job after graduating, with haliburton, down in your great state. First he'll be in victoria for

One thing to keep in mind - Halliburton, at least their ex-subsidary KBR is fairly anti-gun. I've visited the old KBR campus in Houston a couple of times, and their guest pass states no guns allowed (specifically refers to CHL as well, but does not use "official" 30.06 wording) and all buildings have stern signs stating that you must allow any items to be searched when entering or leaving the facility (although I never saw this happen).

Hopefully that's just the KBR attitude, and not parent Halliburton, but he'll want to be watching the employee manual closely. I personally prefer the "don't ask, don't tell" attitude when it comes to legally carried handguns at work. :)

Glockdude1
03-24-2007, 14:39
You will enjoy Texas.

:thumbsup:

Chad Landry
04-02-2007, 21:38
I've already PM'd you with a lot of specifics about Corpus.

He'll love those red FRC coveralls.

Give me a holler if you need any more info.

Chad

Ol' Dirty
04-26-2007, 21:56
I also moved to Texas for work. After a year in San Antonio, it was a year in Victoria and then a year in Rockport/Corpus before moving to Houston.

In Victoria there is a skeet/trap range by the airport. There is a guy who ran a rifle/pistol/archery range in his back yard on the north side of town. I think his name is Garret McCrary.
The only other recreation in Victoria is the Brown Bag Saloon, Cactus Canyon, and a cab to Maxximus.

In Corpus I used to shoot at the Shooting Post on Staples.

And no, sorry, I can't let go of my G19.