Any 4N0X1 in here? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any 4N0X1 in here?

najaboy
03-21-2007, 15:17
Just curious how anyone in that AFSC feels about it. Likes/dislikes?

MarcD
03-23-2007, 16:34
Not a 4N but an old 4F working as a 4e.

najaboy
03-24-2007, 17:31
Thanks Marc. Your insight would be valuable to me as well.

Right now I'm looking to cross-train out of aircraft maintenance and into medical. Essentially, I'm looking into AFSCs that would provide me with clinical experience and direct interaction with patients. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

msg1
03-25-2007, 06:21
the 4N track might be good, especially if you can get into the Independant Duty Med Tech program. Our unit's IDMT directly interacts with patients in the field everyday, and provides a level of care not normally experienced as a med tech in the hospital.

tyesai
03-27-2007, 12:58
Tsk Tsk, looking to go from maintenance to the hospital, you know they don't swear alot, have pin on ceremonies for Amn and expect you to kick in for the cake and punch.

Razor
03-30-2007, 00:56
Originally posted by tyesai
Tsk Tsk, looking to go from maintenance to the hospital, you know they don't swear alot...

Haven't worked around many AF docs, huh? ;)

I was a 4N0x1 back in the early '90s (when we were still 902x0s), and I enjoyed it a lot. It can quite literally be a s***ty job, but it can also be immensely rewarding. It all depends on where you end up getting assigned. All my AF experience was in the hospital setting, first on a Med/Surg Unit (bleh), then as part of the Emergency Department. In the ED, we worked as EMTs, going out on emergency runs and such. Which was a blast and I got to do things that only a doctor would be able to do in the civilian world. I also lucked out in that I worked with RNs (Lts up to Maj) that treated the enlisted medics very well.

But as msg1 said, if you can get into the IDMT program, that's THE job to have as an AF medic. (I'm not counting PJs. They're on a totally different level.)

You might also want to check out specialized medical AFSCs such as Radiology Techs or CardioVascular Techs (don't know the AFSC designations). Those can make some crazy $$ on the outside world.

:usaf: <--I just can't get used to that logo. Looks like a Transformers insignia to me...:)

bluelineman
04-05-2007, 21:09
I had a friend that just cross trained out of 4N, couldn't stand the politics anymore. It's not for everybody. I was 4J0X2 for 8 yrs (Used to be 913X0). Small career field, LOTS of patient interaction. PM if you want more info.

Zephlin
04-06-2007, 17:31
I am a E6 and have always been in the medical side of the Air force, so its all I know. So I will not be able to compair it to any other AFSC's for ya but I will ans any questions you may have. It all depends on what you want out of the field as to if you will like it or not. So ask away.