ISP dragging their feert issuing handgun licenses [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ISP dragging their feert issuing handgun licenses

IronHorseman
03-21-2007, 19:52
E-mail message

From: jmtomes@(jmtomes) Date: Wed, Mar 21, 2007, 6:29pm To: "Undisclosed-Recipient:;"@webtv.net Subject: Arrogance with a capital A
__Defiant arrogance_or perhaps jackasses would be a good description to paint the attitude the Indiana_State Police has in_dragging their feet in issuing handgun licenses to applicants.
_
___ They've been taking 5 months or more to process the license._ It's my understanding that the policy states 60 days to issue or deny a license._ In an age of lightning quick ability to issue a warrant or run a drivers license or make a dynamic entry into a residence, it's mystifying why it would take 5 months to_issue a carry license to a proper citizen .
_
___ I'll tell you why it's taking that long._ The ISP is not getting any money from the revenues from the handgun license because when the lifetime license was passed last year it provided that all the money going to the state was to go the general fund.
_
___ Three years ago when we first started to change the handgun license the original language allowed for the ISP to get not only the money they had been receiving from the license, but to also get the $10.00 that had been paid to the local agencies.
_
___ Being the obstinate agency they were they fought us every step of the way._ That's when we decided to go for the lifetime carry and send the money to the general fund._ If the ISP could have suppressed their "nose in the air" attitude things might have been different.
_
___ I had a conversation just awhile ago with Sen. Nugent's assistant about this and the status on SB. 18 and HB. 1739.
_
___ He told me that Sen. Nugent and Sen. Paul wrote a letter to Governor Daniels about the ISP delaying the process and this assistant hand delivered the letter last week._ We should expect the Governor to step on the toes of the ISP and hard!
_
___ I'm told the ISP's position is that since there is no penalty for them to issue the license in a timely fashion there is no reason for them to do so.
_
___ Let me run down the chain of command for those who are a little fuzzy on it._ The ISP answers to the Governor._ The Governor answers to the people and the people are YOU!
_
___ You, being the employer needs to make some calls._ The superintendent of the ISP is Paul Whitesell and his number is 317-232-8241._ The Governor's office is 317-232-4567.
_
___ I've got a call into the Gov's office and I also talked to our good friend Chris in Lt. Gov. Becky Skillman's office._ He said he was taking this issue across the hall to the Gov.'s office as soon as we got off the phone._ He is on this e-mail list and I am confident Chris will get me some answers.
_
___ This is not a request to call, it's a directive._ The time has come for the sleepy citizens to make demands of the people who receive their wages from the taxes that come from our wages.
_
___ The belligerence never stops unless WE MAKE IT STOP. That "we" includes all of us and the people we know.
_
___ We've got to quit justifying NOT MAKING A CALL OR WRITING A WARNING LETTER to these "public servants" because we have eased our conscience by make believing that nothing we do will have an effect.
_
___ That's horse crap and everyone knows it._ I've made some calls today and plan to make more tomorrow._ If we all have to we might make plans to drop in on our employees up at Indy and ask them face to face what the hold up is.
_
___ On the two bills I referred to, which eliminates_FFL dealers from sending the Form 4473's to the ISP,_SB.18 is still alive and HB 1739 has passed out of the Senate committee, but because it has language allowing for the ISP to receive money from the lifetime license it has been referred to a budget committee._ I don't think they should get a dime until they can improve their numbers.
_
___ Isn't that how it works?_ No work, no pay!_ HB 1739 by the way has been loaded up by the House_with a lot of non gun language._ It has wording addressing everything from_switchblade knives to ephedrine's.
___
___ Make your calls and explain this is not acceptable._ Get two people you know real well, set them down and when you get off the phone hand it to them and make them call._ That's right, make them, because believe it or not some folks need supervision and just asking might not quite be enough.
_
___
Jim and Margie
2nd Amendment Patriots
STAY UNITED
www.2ndamendmentpatriots.org

Patrick Graham
03-21-2007, 20:12
Oh Oh.. This doesn't sound good..

:shocked:

What can we do to change the situation?

One of the guys in this thread said he got his on Mar 18.. 63 days after he mailed it in..

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=664510&perpage=25&pagenumber=2

KSFreeman
03-22-2007, 05:51
Fine, want to cop an attitude? Take their money.

Let's zero out their budget and see how long this rubbish stands. No more for training, vests, guns, ammo, uniforms, gasoline, salaries, not a dime to ISP.:thumbsup:

I also think this an an excellent rationale for abolishing the carry statute and making Indiana a "Vermont carry" state. If the cops wish to deny us our rights, we go around them.

sjstill
03-22-2007, 06:19
So you'd punish the front-lne officers because of clerical sluggishness??

txgho1911
03-22-2007, 06:57
There are other solutions. FL Dept of Agriculture manages the FL CHL program. Seems to be a perfect chance to give the new State Inspector General a fulltime gig outside of corruption investigations. That or move the whole firearms div to another branch of the exec management.

KSFreeman
03-22-2007, 07:20
Steve, yes, without hesitation. Until the cultural attitude at ISP on Washington Street gets a blanket party, the whole platoon is going to do push ups.

They are messing with our civil rights. Rights that men far better than any of us died for. I will not have some lunch-taking pogue screwing with my rights.

Patrick Graham
03-22-2007, 12:55
Originally posted by KSFreeman
Steve, yes, without hesitation. Until the cultural attitude at ISP on Washington Street gets a blanket party, the whole platoon is going to do push ups.

They are messing with our civil rights. Rights that men far better than any of us died for. I will not have some lunch-taking pogue screwing with my rights.

I like your attitude... :thumbsup:

Remind me to hire you the next time the Lafayette popo nab my 18 year old niece... She got drunk 2 weeks ago.. after her hubby shipped out to the Army, on his way to Iraq.. her lawyer got her community service... I'll bet you could have gotten her off..

TLHelmer
03-22-2007, 14:35
Hey hey now, The group at the handgun license office consists of a few civilians and a sworn officer over them.

Lets not paint all of us fine ISP officer's with the same broad brush!;) Besides our increased pay bill is dead. Maybe it is a slow down.

KSFreeman
03-23-2007, 05:45
Patrick, this is political. If someone pushes you in politics, you hit them between the eyes with a 20 lb. sledgehammer. If you rip a head off or two, they won't try anything again.

TLHelmer, doesn't matter if it is one person, the entire agency needs a blanket party. As Weber observed, one a bureaucracy loses sight of its goal, it redoubles its efforts. Once we smack ISP in the mouth, the supercivilians in blue will get the "civilians" back in line on Washington Street and this crap will stop at once.

Cutting off all of ISP's money, abolishing their power over our rights, and inserting liquidated damages (as I have posted before) to hold ISP and individuals at ISP responsible is the appropriate remedy.:) Let's get started!!!

mpholic
03-23-2007, 06:39
Originally posted by Patrick Graham
my 18 year old niece... She got drunk 2 weeks ago..

Wow, she's off to a great start to responsible adulthood. What to do when the rough parts of life come along? What else, get drunk! :upeyes:

Now before anyone jumps my case, yes, I have experienced situations similiar to hers.

As a Marine I left my wife behind three times as I headed overseas. I was in the Persian Gulf during the bombing of the Marine barracks and the Lebonese hostage situation. Guess what neither my wife or I got drunk, and we were of legal age.

Last year during a mammogram they discovered my wife had early signs of breast cancer. You guessed it we didn't get drunk here either. Didn't break up any furniture, didn't curse God, etc. We just dealt with it.

My middle son is currently in Germany (Army) packing up to go to Iraq. He is leaving his wife behind in Germany. Once again no childish behaviour.

It's all about personal responsibility. She broke the law plain and simple. She has a right to be sad, depressed, moody etc. but that's as far as it goes. I really appreciate the sacrifices military men, women and their families make to ensure our freedoms. This doesn't however give them the right to do whatever they want.

I realize this will be a very unpopular post and I apologize for that.

KSFreeman
03-23-2007, 08:17
Fie, they merely accused her of breaking the law!:supergrin:

Anyone can sign a piece of paper and make mere accusations.:banana:

mpholic
03-23-2007, 08:24
Originally posted by KSFreeman
Fie, they merely accused her of breaking the law!:supergrin:

Anyone can sign a piece of paper and make mere accusations.:banana:

I'm sorry, I shouldn't make assumptions. Mr. Grahams post said she was drunk and I assumed he had first hand knowledge.