Hunting with the 45acp or 45gap? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with the 45acp or 45gap?

GLOC45GAP
03-22-2007, 12:05
Has anyone here in the forum tagged Deer, cougar, or Hogs with there 45gap or acp version? Feedback on loads and anything else will be appreciated.:)

freakshow10mm
03-22-2007, 12:19
Yes I have. Here is a quote from my post in a different thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by 686Owner
You shot a deer with ball ammo from a handgun?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes. It was 17y away and I shot it high in the shoulder. Broke the close shoulder and severed the spine. Bullet lodged in the muscle on the opposite side of the spine. Deer took a half step after the shot and collapsed. Used Winchester White Box 230gr FMJ from my G30. I was taking a leak at the time and left my Guide Gun in my stand but had my pistol on me.

Ball ammo from a handgun works on 200# men, why not 170# deer? You give the deer too much credit. They are not hard to kill.

Ahmid
03-22-2007, 12:35
freakshow 10mm.

What you said makes a lot of sense. I never thought of it in those terms.
Good thinking.

Ahmid

noway
03-22-2007, 13:50
I personaly haven't but have seen other do it and they all had opposite results as ferakshow.

200lb hog, shoot w/1911 5" bbl military GI model, 230Gr JHP ( Golden saber )

Hog was shot 5 times from distances of 10 to 20yards. All bullets where extracted from the hog at the gutting/skinning station and all bullet barely if that expanded and the skinner actually stated " you could reload and reuse these " ;)

FWIW:Also never seen any handgun caliber from a 45acp server a spine on an animal bigger than a javelina. And also have to disagree that what's good for a human ( 200lb or whatever ) is adequate for a deer.

second case, 9mm handgun 147gr JHP ( winchester blk talon )

Florida deer shot in a standard broadside shot , bullet penetrated into the meat opposite the entrance hold, never expanded, didn't kill the deer immediately. Deer was ran with 3 dogs, 3 humans and pinned down in a dried Pine Island and need a real caliber ( 44mag to put it down )

deer are and or can be very hard to kill. With the above logic/comparison, how many humans can get shot at from a treestand 12ft up , and have 1.5 of their lungs blown up from a 30cal rifle, and still manage to run about 90 yards away and still need a "coup de grace" to finish him off?

Also I wouldn't advise use a FMJ caliber in a deer. In some state that specific restricted in most all caliber and gun types ( handgun or rifle )

A proper bullet must be select for the game animal you are going to hunt.

GLOC45GAP
03-22-2007, 22:13
;) Thanks. I'll stick with my .357mag for now. Thank you for all the feedback.