Question for KS Freeman [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question for KS Freeman

IronHorseman
03-22-2007, 20:25
Since youe our resident legalscribe here I have a question for you.I was recently elected GOP party chairman in my county. Does Indiana code forbid carrying a firearm at political caucusses and conventions?

KSFreeman
03-23-2007, 05:35
Mmmm, maybe. Where is said convention/meeting to be held?

No carrying at political meetings? Are you channeling Georgia law?:supergrin:

txgho1911
03-23-2007, 06:02
I hope I was not breaking the law at the Marion county slating convention. Carl Brizzi was there with his body guard.

R. Emmelman
03-23-2007, 08:16
Was it in a school or was a school group having a field trip there? Was it in an Indianapolis city park? How about a courthouse? :supergrin:

IronHorseman
03-23-2007, 16:52
Originally posted by KSFreeman
Mmmm, maybe. Where is said convention/meeting to be held?

No carrying at political meetings? Are you channeling Georgia law?:supergrin:

Our district meetings held at the Sulivan city park.Our county meetings are at the place of my choosing.
We will be holding a county caucus in May and a town convention in August. I just wondered if the state had any codes dealing with this. My biggest concern will be the state convention next year.It should be held at a hotel in Indy.
I just don`t to be surprised by a law that I might be unaware of.

dwh79
03-23-2007, 20:30
What is up with this school fieldtrip thing? It says school event or location of a school event. I believe this probably has a graet deal of lee way. If you are at a skating rink and there is obviousl a field trip and the place is full of scholl busses and kids fine but if I happen to be at a convention or staying in a hotel and there is no way to know a school might be taking a field trip there I do not believe they can say you are breaking the law. If they had signs up to that effect or a lot of school busses were in the parking lot fine but if it is not clearly obvious I don't believe you would be bothered, but a good reason to carry concealed. I have been out to eat and had a school bus pull in the parking lot to eat so am I breaking the law I don't believe so.

rhino465
03-24-2007, 00:08
That's the problem with really bad laws that are also poorly written. They can and will mean whatever the prosecutor chooses it to mean on a given day.

This piece of the law needs to go.

Originally posted by dwh79
What is up with this school fieldtrip thing? It says school event or location of a school event. I believe this probably has a graet deal of lee way. If you are at a skating rink and there is obviousl a field trip and the place is full of scholl busses and kids fine but if I happen to be at a convention or staying in a hotel and there is no way to know a school might be taking a field trip there I do not believe they can say you are breaking the law. If they had signs up to that effect or a lot of school busses were in the parking lot fine but if it is not clearly obvious I don't believe you would be bothered, but a good reason to carry concealed. I have been out to eat and had a school bus pull in the parking lot to eat so am I breaking the law I don't believe so.

R. Emmelman
03-24-2007, 06:17
Originally posted by IronHorseman
Our district meetings held at the Sulivan city park.Our county meetings are at the place of my choosing.
We will be holding a county caucus in May and a town convention in August. I just wondered if the state had any codes dealing with this. My biggest concern will be the state convention next year.It should be held at a hotel in Indy.
I just don`t to be surprised by a law that I might be unaware of.
Not a lawyer by any sort of close association but I have found no state law against carrying at a political function. (In fact I carried almost all of the last congressional campaign). City parks are at the option of the city involved. Indianapolis will not allow carry in Indy-Parks property. This includes parks, city owned golf courses, Monon trail, greenways, city owned little league parks, etc, etc, etc.

IronHorseman
03-24-2007, 08:11
Originally posted by R. Emmelman
Not a lawyer by any sort of close association but I have found no state law against carrying at a political function. (In fact I carried almost all of the last congressional campaign). City parks are at the option of the city involved. Indianapolis will not allow carry in Indy-Parks property. This includes parks, city owned golf courses, Monon trail, greenways, city owned little league parks, etc, etc, etc.

I carried openly at my congressman press confrences las year at is request.