So who's shooting what and where? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So who's shooting what and where?

Atlantya
03-22-2007, 21:20
Those of us digging out from the cold and snow are also contemplating the start of more outdoor shooting and the heating up of competition season once again. Of course, lucky shooters in warm climates get to shoot year round!

The first outdoor IDPA match is in just a few short weeks. The USPSA 2007 Wisconsin Sectionals are in Lacrosse again at the end of April. In May, for the first time in Wisconsin, Schultz Rod and Gun Club will hold a GSSF Outdoor Match - check it out at www.schultzgunclub.com

I've heard rumours that there's going to be two different Appleseed Rifle Classes here in Wisconsin this year. If any of you have any interest in shooting rifles, TAKE THIS CLASS! Truly probably the most shooting fun I had last summer (besides, good god, I was surrounded by 50 men with rifles in their hands. Seriously HAWT!) I'll definitely be repeating that class at least once this summer. I think you can find information on that at warrifles.com. If that's not it and you're interested, let me know and I'll find out from someone.

So, anyone? What and where are you shooting? Any plans for new guns? Doing any shooting soon?

SARDG
03-22-2007, 23:08
Been shooting lately, indoor only. The range is less than 2 miles from my house so that makes it pretty convenient. They let me fold down the rest and shoot some simple tactical stuff if the range isn't busy. (drawing and double/triple taps, drills using cover and concealment - nothing too fancy, but more than the average indoor range) Put 150 rounds through my new G30 tonight, and a few through my Kahr PM9.

I haven't shot competition since highschool - more than a couple of years ago - and that was indoor/smallbore 50' rifle. I think I'll read a little about GSSF and see if I want to do that. I've been concentrating lately, on concealed carry and self-defense. Trouble is, when summer comes, I'm out every weekend on patrol in the Coast Guard Aux. So much to do, so little time... :phew:

tlish
03-26-2007, 20:39
i've been shooting bullseye pistol league, 50ft., indoor, with glock 19. not great scores with that gun, but LOTS of fun. and i LOVE that gun even though it's not a target. i've improved my score every week, so i'm happy w/ that.

i also just got a dillon 550. hubby built a bench and set up the press for me, so i've been loading my own ammo. that's really awesome. this week i'll use it for league for the first time. i hope it's good and that i have a good shooting night!

soon, we'll be starting some idpa. it'll be our first time. we'll also shoot skeet a lot in the late spring/early summer.

fun, fun! i love life!

Atlantya
03-26-2007, 21:01
Ooooh, good! Someone else who actually did some shooting. Fantastic.

I managed to actually get outside on Saturday - it was a beautiful sunny 60 degree day. I shot two different AR15s, one scoped, one with iron sights, a Beretta 92 (wow, I really liked it!), a Keltech P3AT (cute cute little pocket gun!!), and my G34 and 17.

I've never been tempted to shoot Bullseye. I've gone to the range a couple of times when they've been shooting it, and I've been told it's great for shooting skills. I'm just more of an outdoors-type shooter.

A reloader! That sounds interesting. This is how I reload.... "Hello, Natchez Shooting Supplies?...." :supergrin:

tlish
03-26-2007, 21:14
i love the ar-15! hubby has one, and it's so much fun! i hate the kel-tec, though. my finger gets pinched between the trigger and trigger guard. it makes me grumpy.

this bullseye league started as just an excuse to go hang out at the range once a week. i'm not using a target gun. it's just been too cold and yucky to try idpa. this is my substitute. i love it, though. and i love the people there!

i'm a very new reloader - like two weeks new. and i've only loaded a couple hundred rounds. but it's very interesting, addicting, and i like it a lot!

Lynn D
03-27-2007, 13:01
'k, here goes.

Shot my first IDPA last weekend...G19. Prolly will go back and do that again. Just gotta get used to the rules....

Shoot every Tuesday night (concealed carry group)....have been alternating my Kahr P9 with my G19. Had forgotten how fun the Kahr is to shoot (and how accurate I am with it). Have also taken the shot my .45 there too...One of the first nights, with steel plate rack! That rocked!

Just purchased a Taurus 905 (5 shot, 9 mm revolver). Have taken that out just once for some target stuff. Not bad. Gonna have to learn how to tame the recoil on the little bugger, though.

Had a chat with the Bullseye guys at my range....they'd love to have me. I love my Ruger target pistol. Might be a good idea, but I don't think I'd have the patience (wait, wait, breathe, wait, shoot) for it.

Shot a bit outside last week when the weather was warm. It was wonderful. Had fun with the target pistol that day.

I'll shortly be making reservations for Small Arms Firing School at Camp Perry again this summer. Already have the vacation time approved.

Oh, yeah....shootin's good, any time of the year!

Mrs. Tink
03-27-2007, 13:36
I'll jump into the fray here.

My husband took me shooting for our 2nd wedding anniversary. :cool: We went to an outdoor range at a nearby state park, which was pretty nice that day. I think it was about 65 outside. The range officer gave me some great tips on how to improve my accuracy outdoors. I usually don't have a problem with precision. But preferably I'd like both...! I rented a G26 (I was going to buy one until I had to buy new tires instead...), and shot about 50 rounds through that. Kind of weird having my hand hang off the bottom; otherwise it's just like our G17. I kind of liked it, although it was bigger than I expected.

Also shot the P22 and the P99, which I love love love. The P99 is almost idiot-proof. I say that in the sense of, there are no mechanical safeties, unlike the P22. So, idiot-proof, meaning that you can't really forget that you left a safety on somewhere. But either way, the Walthers are awesome.

Hubby brought his AR-15, which I don't get to shoot much. I did pretty good with that one too, although holding it gets awkward for me after a while.

We didn't bring it last week, but we also have a Springfield Armory 1911 .45, which kind of hurts my hand a little but I love to shoot it. I've got a Desert Eagle .50AE on my wish list, so I had better get used to the bigger boom.

Haven't been to the indoor range in a while, but some girl friends and I are looking at going maybe Friday. :banana:

Atlantya
03-28-2007, 13:02
Yeah, I've fallen pretty madly deeply in love with shooting ARs. I borrowed a friend's M4 for most of December and got pretty good at shooting it at 50 yards. Now I wanna get one of my own and start at 100 yards and see what I can do.

The little Kel-tec I shot had a lot done to the grip to make it more comfortable to shoot. It had A-grip over hogue grips and some sort of foam cell padding underneath all of that with an extended magazine thingy on the bottom for better grasping. I actually found it not bad at all. I really liked the little pocket holster too. It was this little holster that just sat in your pocket and it had a little lip on it that caught on your pocket as you pulled it and the holster stayed in your pocket and the gun came out. Slick.

Mrs. Tink - Nice second anniversary celebration! :)

Pru
03-30-2007, 21:36
I get to the indoor range with my G19 about every 3 - 4 weeks, not often enough. I'm still quite a novice, having owned my G19 for less than a year.

We bought a piece of property last fall. It's getting to where we can get out there now. DH cut some 'shelves' into a berm with a shovel, and we set up some tin cans. That was my first experience moving from one target to the next. I did okay. I wasn't disappointed with my shooting, but I do want to do better.

When we're out at the property, I also shoot a Mossberg 500 12g shotgun, and a sweet old .22 rifle.

tlish
03-31-2007, 08:58
Originally posted by Atlantya
Yeah, I've fallen pretty madly deeply in love with shooting ARs. I borrowed a friend's M4 for most of December and got pretty good at shooting it at 50 yards. Now I wanna get one of my own and start at 100 yards and see what I can do.

The little Kel-tec I shot had a lot done to the grip to make it more comfortable to shoot. It had A-grip over hogue grips and some sort of foam cell padding underneath all of that with an extended magazine thingy on the bottom for better grasping. I actually found it not bad at all. I really liked the little pocket holster too. It was this little holster that just sat in your pocket and it had a little lip on it that caught on your pocket as you pulled it and the holster stayed in your pocket and the gun came out. Slick.

i, too, love shooting the ar. we have an ar-15 and fil has an ar-10. both are lots of fun. my support arm gets very tired by the end of a 30-round magazine, though! we're taking that out to the range on monday - spring break! yay!

that kel-tec sounds interesting. my colt mustang is only a little heavier (12 oz.) and slightly wider, so i stick with that. it shoots like a little 1911 - it's great! my hubby keeps the kel-tec w/ pocket holster as a bug. he was carrying it in an ankle holster until i confiscated that for my mustang.

my reloads need some tweaking, so i'll be working on that this week. we're also going to go shoot skeet once this week as well! i hope the weather cooperates!