Sealed Ford Transmission [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sealed Ford Transmission

RaiderCop
03-24-2007, 07:53
At work I was issued (read: not my idea) a new unmarked Ford Explorer in 2004. It only has 12K on it. The transmission is sealed and you cannot even check the tranny fluid level. There is a noticeable delay when I put her into gear (drive/reverse). Usually about three seconds, sometimes up to 5 seconds. Sometimes I get a pretty good jerk when the tranny finally slips into gear.

I understand these sealed Ford trannys have a well deserved reputation of being a POS. Anyone have any experience with these? If so; was the dealer/shop actually able to fix it? I know I have to turn her in; I just donít look forward to driving the POS 03 Status in the meantime.
:frown:

Ron3
03-24-2007, 11:09
You can check the fluid from underneath.

There is a big nut with a torx head bolt in it on the transmission pan. You remove this (the torx bolt) when the vehicle is running and if the fluid just barely flows out you've got the level right. Yes it is stupid. If it is low it could certainly cause your problem.

However:

There is a TSB for your exact symptoms too. I don't remember what it is, do a search online. First there was a recall to put in an additive into the transmission before the problem started. After there are symptoms though a TSB says to drop the pan, replace the valve body, reinstall the pan, then add fluid with the additive. I don't reccomend the additive because it solidify's after it sits awhile. That can't be good?

Have a shop replace the valve body per the TSB, put in new fluid (Mercon V) and a bottle of Ford rear end friction modifier. Thats just my advice, you should have it diagnosed by a Ford mechanic. Hopefully you still have some form of warranty left. That valve body is a couple hundred dollars if I'm not mistaken.

Good luck!

Ron3

RaiderCop
03-24-2007, 22:24
Thanks Ron3. I'll past that onto our vehicle coordinator and see about bringing up the TSB to the dealer/shop.

walkin' trails
04-01-2007, 20:06
I've got a company furnished 04 Explorer with sealed transmission and the V-8 and control track. Its got about 60K on it now. When I shift into reverse from park when its cold, I get a hesitation and it seems like it takes a good dose of throttle just to back down the drive way. Kind of like its slipping. I get some curious pops once in a while when it shifts gears when I'm getting on the gas. This vehicle has been driven hard. The Ford AODs weren't the best transmissions out there, but if taken care of, they were capable of some pretty high mileage. I don't know how these new five speeds are holding up.

ecmills
04-20-2007, 10:35
What engine size? 2wd or 4wd?

This is the closest thing I can dredge up:

Engagement

A/T - 5R55S, Delayed/Harsh Reverse Engagement
Notes

TSB 05-21-8

10/31/05

DELAYED OR HARSH REVERSE ENGAGEMENTS -
5R555 TRANSMISSION - VEHICLES BUILT PRIOR TO
09/23/2004

FORD:
2004-2005 Thunderbird, Explorer

LINCOLN:
2004-2005 LS, Aviator

MERCURY:
2004-2005 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 05-15-4 to correct the Service Procedure.

ISSUE
Some 2004-2005 vehicles built prior to 09/23/2004 and equipped with the 5R555 transmission, may exhibit a delayed or harsh reverse engagement. This condition may be due to improper pressure control.

ACTION
It may be necessary to replace the solenoid body assembly. Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE INSTALLING TRANSMISSION ADDITIVE WILL PREVENT THE SYMPTOM ON SOLENOIDS THAT DO NOT YET EXHIBIT THE CONDITION BUT WILL NOT RESOLVE THE CONDITION IF IT ALREADY EXISTS.

NOTE CONTAMINATION IS NOT THE CAUSE OF THE CONDITION ADDRESSED BY THIS TSB. IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO FLUSH THE TRANSMISSION COOLER/COOLER LINES OR REPLACE THE FLUID PAN FILTER (7A098).
ALSO, DO NOT REPROGRAM THE PCM, REPLACE THE MAIN CONTROL ASSEMBLY (7A100) OR INSTALL AN INLINE SERVICE FILTER (7B155).

NOTE DURING SOLENOID BODY REPLACEMENT THE VEHICLE'S BATTERY MUST BE DISCONNECTED TO PROPERLY CLEAR THE PRESSURE ADAPTIVE TABLES.