State Owned Land [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : State Owned Land

Korey5640
03-24-2007, 12:27
Hello, new Glocker here from a suburb of Detroit. Come tomorrow I will be the proud owner of a brand new G22. Currently I plan to mainly shoot at my local range not more than 1/2 mile from the house. However, I have also looked into outdoor shooting around me. Now, I looked into gun clubs, the pit, etc. per other posts on this very board but I heard a weird rumor from someone at Dick's sporting goods that you may shoot target/plink on state owned land as long as it was not a hunting season. In one respect, that makes sense to me, in another, it doesn't. Does this sound right to anyone and if so, what state land?

Some say that you can go to state owned land normally used for hunting and pop off rounds all day long with no problems as long as you do so safely, others say that it is restricted to gun ranges. Can someone clarify this for me? Thanks!

mikedb
03-25-2007, 14:53
State Forest and State Game Areas are under teh same set of rules. You can shoot as long as you are safe, clean up and the area is not posted against shooting. State Parks and State Rec Areas are a no no unless at a range. You can get the same info if you go to the DNR website and go under the section ask the DNR. Some answers are dated in regards to the CPL and state land/hunting. You should check the hunting rule book to make sure you dont need a small game license. Last I recall you dont if you have a CPL and/or are shooting at a recognizable target.

mikedb
03-25-2007, 14:55
send me an email and I may be able to tell you some good areas. I believe the PIT is on a State Game area that is why it is OK.

jsbrown14
03-25-2007, 18:23
What are the rules for State Rec Areas that are open to hunting? I'm thinking specifically of Pinkney/Waterloo. The rules for Rec Areas seem to imply no, but the rules for "lands open to hunting" seem to imply yes.

I haven't found any conclusive answers on State websites.

gsbell
03-25-2007, 21:02
Originally posted by jsbrown14
I haven't found any conclusive answers on State websites.
It's in the FAQ's on the DNR site. Here is the latest entry in the ask the DNR sitehttp://************/3de5dk

Rec areas typically a no go, but hunting areas yes. As a matter of fact I spent 2 hours today on state land shooting. No cops or DNR officers came to cart me away :thumbsup:

gsbell
03-25-2007, 21:04

coverdog
03-26-2007, 06:47
Another link. http://midnr.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/MiDNR.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=kfyr1wxi&p_lva=1923&p_faqid=711&p_created=1040237090&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTI3NCZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXNob290aW5nIG9uIHN0YXRlIGxhbmQ mcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9fmFueX4mcF9wcm9kX2x2bDI9fmFueX4mcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=

jsbrown14
03-26-2007, 19:31
Thanks guys, those links are really helpful.