New guy, new glock [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New guy, new glock

phox_mulder
03-24-2007, 20:37
Hi there.

Thought I'd jump into the Glock crowd, picked up a G22 last weekend.
First Glock, first .40.

I've heard good things about the Tactical Tupperware :supergrin: so I figured I'd give it a try since my Uncle Sam paid back his yearlong loan.

I was going for something smaller, but just didn't like the feel of the subcompacts in my rather large hands.
G22 was a good compromise of small yet large.

Since getting it and signing up here, I've perused the forums and haven't seen any bad reports about the 22.
Being active in a number of other forums, I know the less you hear about something, the better, as most people come to forums to complain about something.

Now comes the chore of finding a way to conceal it.
I had previously been carrying a PPK .380 (flamesuit on), and it was quite concealable.
I wear shorts and tshirts 24/7/365 and am a large manly man.
PPK lived in either a cheap gunshow knockoff of the Galco Miami Classic, or a IWB/SOB.
Yes, Trolly Square got under my skin and I realized I needed much more than the .380, and more than the 7+1.
G22 came with 15+1 magazines, and .40S&W is slightly better than .380ACP/

The G22 is just a little big for SOB, and my love handles don't allow IWB anywhere else, and my choice of wardrobe doesn't allow OWB.

Got a real Miami Classic, but couldn't find the sweet spot between concealablity and being able to reach around my girth to grab it.
Took it back and ordered a Galco Jackass rig, I'm thinking the downward angle will make it more concealable and reachable, as my PPK shoulder rig has a downward angle that makes drawing easier.

For now, I have a cheap Uncle Mikes IWB/SOB for the G22, or get the PPK out of the safe.

I also have a Taurus .357 Magnum, not concealable in any way, shape or form, and a Ruger 9MM that really not concealable either, but both are fun to shoot.

Looking forward to putting many thousands of rounds through the G22, at the range of course.

Been carrying CCW for 10 years and never had to let anyone know I was carrying.

phox

UtahIrishman
03-24-2007, 20:50
Welcome to Glock Talk phox. I think you will find it interesting here. G22 is a good choice.

gsr
03-24-2007, 22:34
If you can make it work with your wardrobe, you may want to concider a vest form Coronado Leather.

RMTactical
03-26-2007, 15:08
I find the G22 to be too big for carry. I struggle with a G19... and now that it's getting warmer, I am not going to be carrying my G27 as much either...

Welcome though! Glocks are awesome pistols, none better IMO.

reerc
03-27-2007, 16:35
Welcome to GT, phox.

FWIW, I have a S&W snubbie and a G27. (so far ... my birtday present in May is a S&W M&P compact) Even though it is slightly larger, the G27 lays so much flatter, I end up carrying it a lot more often than the little revolver, even though I like the snubbie a lot. I think I'll be looking for long, bulky T-shirts and maybe some light, loose jackets to cover.

Glad you came aboard, and look forward to reading your posts.

:thumbsup:

wthomas
04-09-2007, 21:57
Welcome, I recognize your name from DTR.

phox_mulder
04-10-2007, 13:43
Originally posted by wthomas
Welcome, I recognize your name from DTR.

That'd be me.

phox