Boy Scout Troop needs target thrower [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Boy Scout Troop needs target thrower

BB62
03-25-2007, 11:54
For those who might otherwise get their panties in a bunch - I live in Cincinnati, near the confluence of Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana - so I am posting this request for help in those three places.

On May 4, 5 & 6 our Boy Scout Troop is holding a "Camping & Shooting" weekend at Camp Bear Creek, near Brookville, Indiana.

Last year we did some .22 shooting and also used a donated $20 spring-loaded clay target thrower to give the boys a chance to do some trap shooting. The boys LOVED it, but by the end of the day the thrower was kaput. Also, during the day, the thrower's ability to toss the targets out at a suitable height and distance diminished considerably.

This year I am wondering if anyone knows of a place where we could either a) rent an electrically (12V) powered thrower, b) buy a cheap 12V thrower, or c) rent or cheaply buy a durable human operated thrower.

THANKS kindly for any and all offers of help and suggestions.

BB62

Fred Hansen
03-25-2007, 19:40
Try this link (http://www.nrafoundation.org/friends/states/?state=Ohio) and contact your NRA Field Representative for southern Ohio. He may be able to put you in touch with a local gun club/scout troop that has received NRA grant money to buy the kind of equipment you are looking for. They may or may not be willing to lend it to you.

In terms of future needs for equipment, you (and your Troop) may want to apply for a grant to buy your own equipment. You might also want to contact your local Great Trail Council (Simon Kenton I believe?) and ask them if they have any equipment. The NRA foundation also funds shooting sports related equipment and activities at the national level. Essentially the only things they don't fund are expendables like targets and ammo.

The NRA Foundation is the country's leading charitable organization in support of the shooting sports, awarding more than $70 million since its inception in 1990. The NRA Foundation supports those organizations and programs that ensure the continuation of our proud shooting and hunting heritage.

Foundation grants provide essential program funding, ensuring the availability of quality training and educational opportunities nationwide. Grants benefit programs such as youth education, law enforcement training, hunter education, conservation, firearms and marksmanship training and safety, and much more.

Through its grant support of eligible educational programs, The NRA Foundation carries out its important educational mission across the country. Foundation grants allow shooting sports-related programs to develop, expand, and enhance their educational curricula to deliver valuable services to millions of Americans.

Mission Statement

Established in 1990, The NRA Foundation, Inc. ("NRA Foundation") is a 501(c )(3) tax-exempt organization that raises tax-deductible contributions in support of a wide range of firearm-related public interest activities of the National Rifle Association of America and other organizations that defend and foster the Second Amendment rights of all law-abiding Americans. These activities are designed to promote firearms and hunting safety, to enhance marksmanship skills of those participating in the shooting sports, and to educate the general public about firearms in their historic, technological, and artistic context. Funds granted by The NRA Foundation benefit a variety of constituencies throughout the United States including children, youth, women, individuals with physical disabilities, gun collectors, law enforcement officers, hunters, and competitive shooters.

Contact The NRA Foundation:
The NRA Foundation, Inc., 11250 Waples Mill Road, Fairfax, VA 22030
(800) 423-6894 (Toll Free) / (703) 267-3985 (Fax) / nraf@nrahq.org

Here is a pic of what NRA Foundation grants have made possible at my local club. 90% of the guns and equipment in the pic were purchased with NRA grants.
http://www.vashonsportsmensclub.com/KC_Thumbs/All%20Shooters%2003.jpg

Good luck.

BB62
03-26-2007, 08:22
WOW.

Thank you kindly for the link and the other information.

BB62

Berretta9
03-26-2007, 16:29
Whittakers Guns in Owensboro has the best price on them. Sounds like time to have a fund raiser.

BB62
04-25-2007, 09:00
I would like to thank everyone for their advice, offers of help, descriptions of throwers, and encouragement. Everything posted here has been very, very helpful in figuring out how to make this year's camping/shooting weekend go **way beyond** our campout of 2 years ago.

I especially want to pass on my deep appreciation to Shingle Monkey.

Yesterday, myself, the Scoutmaster, and one of the assistant Scoutmasters drove to Indy to meet him and take him up on his offer to purchase a trap thrower for our Troop. His generous contribution of a shotgun and funds will allow us to purchase a Do-all sit-down 3/4 cock trap thrower, ammunition, and other supplies.

THANK YOU from the bottom of all of our hearts.

Shingle Monkey: be assured that further thanks and pictures from our campout next weekend (weather cooperating) will be coming your way!

P.S. - I did visit Whittaker's Guns and was VERY impressed. Although I initially wanted a powered thrower, I was afraid that transporting it, and buying a battery for it which would only get used once every two years would be a real hassle. I will be ordering the manual thrower today, either from them or Cabela's.

Best,
BB62