Boy Scout Troop needs target thrower [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Boy Scout Troop needs target thrower

BB62
03-25-2007, 11:55
For those who might otherwise get their panties in a bunch - I live in Cincinnati, near the confluence of Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana - so I am posting this request for help in those three places.

On May 4, 5 & 6 our Boy Scout Troop is holding a "Camping & Shooting" weekend at Camp Bear Creek, near Brookville, Indiana.

Last year we did some .22 shooting and also used a donated $20 spring-loaded clay target thrower to give the boys a chance to do some trap shooting. The boys LOVED it, but by the end of the day the thrower was kaput. Also, during the day, the thrower's ability to toss the targets out at a suitable height and distance diminished considerably.

This year I am wondering if anyone knows of a place where we could either a) rent an electrically (12V) powered thrower, b) buy a cheap 12V thrower, or c) rent or cheaply buy a durable human operated thrower.

THANKS kindly for any and all offers of help and suggestions.

BB62

Indy_Guy_77
03-25-2007, 13:23
Dang, I certainly wish I knew how to help you out!

I do, though, want to thank you for helping to expose these young men to shooting and shooting sports!

I had 3-4 opportunities to do similar things while I was in Scouts and absolutely LOVED it! Of course, it really helped that one of our assistant Scout Masters / volunteers is an absolute gun nut.

-J-

MikeL74
03-27-2007, 08:06
I know my old school's Gun Club has some spring-powered throwers that have thrown a LOT of clays. I can ask what brand they are.

Have you asked around at any gun shops near you? Maybe one would donate a thrower to your cause. Could put a "thrower courtesy of ___" sign next to it for publicity.

epsylum
03-27-2007, 15:31
I live in Indy. I have a spring powered thrower that I bought from a friend for $20 and never used. It is pretty much brand new. I will let it go for the $20 I paid. PM if you are interested. I forget who makes it, but my dad said it was a good company and it looks well made.

I can also just loan you it if you just want to use it just for that event.

Skpotamus
04-02-2007, 22:54
You might try writing a grant request to the NRA. I'm in the process of doing that now for the boy scout camp I work at during the summers. Also, try contacting local sporting/conservation clubs. Many would be willing to help out a local boy scout unit.

There's also the tag day or popcorn fund raisers that the boy scouts normally do. An extra one here or there can bring in a lot of extra cash for a troop. A hotdog/hamburger roast outside of a sporting goods/gun shop will raise quite a bit, especially if you tell the gun shop customers exactly why you're trying to raise money.

Just an FYI, anything but an electric thrower will die during the course of one summer camp. I went through three of the post mounted Do-All throwers this last summer (averaged about a week and a half each). (My boys shoot a LOT and do a LOT of dry firing). Do-All and the Gander Mtn we bought them at was helpful and kept replacing them when one broke, so the boys never did without (although I did miss a few lunches to go get the things).

Talk to local sporting goods stores in the area as well, a little well placed advertising might just get you the equipment donated to your troop, just ask the "captain crunch" council. Some troop that had an uncle as a higher up for Captain Crunch, got quite a bit of $$ donated to the troop and council. As a result, they actually made the capt crunch emblem part of thier council patch.

Good luck.

BB62
04-04-2007, 18:12
WOW!!

Thanks to EVERYONE for their suggestions and offers. You have given me some great ideas.

Originally posted by Skpotamus
...Just an FYI, anything but an electric thrower will die during the course of one summer camp. I went through three of the post mounted Do-All throwers this last summer (averaged about a week and a half each). (My boys shoot a LOT and do a LOT of dry firing). Do-All and the Gander Mtn we bought them at was helpful and kept replacing them when one broke, so the boys never did without (although I did miss a few lunches to go get the things)...

Specifically to Skpotamus, which Do-All throwers did you use? I have been doing a little research on Do-All products and see that they seem to have a "backyard" line and a "professional" (?) line.

I originally had my heart set on the Aerial Assault, but reading many retailer sites, it seems that there are competing "it's junk" and "it's great" comments - leaving me totally confused.

I then became interested in their sit-down throwers, which I believe have the same arm as the post throwers - then I read your comments.

I would very much appreciate anything you want to add, or in fact anyone's comments about Do-all.

Thanks again to everyone.

BB62

Skpotamus
04-04-2007, 21:10
http://www.do-alltraps.com/sportingclays.php the PM100 is the one (two actually) we wore out at first. The bolts holding the throwing arm would snap after a week or so of use. We went to the PM134, which is supposed to be the next step up, and it did last longer, but it still wore out during the course of the summer camp. The same bolts snapped on all of the traps, and all of those bolts were/are fixed by the company before shipping, it's not even something you can try to screw up.

Now, when I'm running my shotgun courses, I have the kids follow about 30 or so clays without shooting, just to get them used to follow through, and pointing, then another 20 or so with a shotgun mounted to let them get some dry fire practice in. The kids each have to fire 50 rounds to qualify for their merit badge. I limited my class size to 8 kids. 2 classes per week. 800 shots per week minimum for kids to qualify, (most of my kids wanted to shoot quite a bit more than just the 50 minimum, two of which went for an NRA expert award 250 rounds each). So we were throwing well over 1000 clays per week. Most weeks, we were closer to 2000 clays a week.

One of the local skeet/trap/clays clubs uses one of the aerial assault machines and like it. You might dig around the competition area to find out what type they all recommend.

Hope this helps.

BB62
04-05-2007, 09:35
Skpotamus,

THANKS much for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

So, just to clarify - the arm attachment points were OK? That's what broke (actually they rounded themselves out) on the cheapo ground/old wheel rim mounted model we use last time.

BB62

Skpotamus
04-05-2007, 20:06
From last summers memory: There is one main bolt that connects the arm to the frame. It has a rotating bushing around it to keep it from stripping while the arm is in motion. There is a second bolt with a similar bushing that connects the thrower arm to the frame via the spring.

The bolt holding the thrower arm to the frame was what kept snapping. It appeared to be pretty cheap/soft. I could actually gouge into it with a leatherman blade pretty easily. During use, the bolt would start to back itself out, and the bolts would start to bend, then eventually snap. The first time it happened, it sent the thrower arm a few yards downrange (scared the hell out of my assistant). I tried lubing the bushing, but that didn't help. The bolt itself didn't have any type of head to really tighten it down with, it was held in place with a cotterpin.

Hmm, kind of a bad description.... If you go to the link I listed, and click on the photo of the PM100, you'll see there are two bolts on the aluminum thrower arm. The bolt farthest from the thrower's handle is what kept snapping.

The 134 uses a little bit different setup, but the same bolt broke on both thrower types.

SHINGLE MONKEY
04-05-2007, 20:54
If you or someone else wants to come to Indy and pick it up I will meet you at Gander Mountian and buy one for your troop.

something like this http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_55857_400004007_400000000_400004000_400-4-7

BB62
04-11-2007, 16:10
Shingle Monkey,

WOW! That is a very generous offer. Thank you.

I see you posted your offer a few days ago, and I'm sorry I haven't read it until just now. Gee, now what do I say?...

Not knowing of your offer, over Easter break I was directed to a similar thrower, the ST234 by Do-All (http://do-alltraps.com/sportingclays.php) and cleared it with the Scout leader last night.

I have not purchased it yet, but I/we would be more than grateful if we could work something out to make a mutual purchase. What do you think?

THANKS AGAIN, and please PM me if you like.

BB62

SHINGLE MONKEY
04-11-2007, 19:02
pm me a shipping address and how soon you need it.

I have to go to OK for a few days, I will be back the first of the week.

sidewayz6.6
04-20-2007, 18:50
I remeber the last scouting shoot I was out on. By the end of the trip, I was designated troop gunsmith!:banana:

BB62
04-25-2007, 08:58
I would like to thank everyone for their advice, offers of help, descriptions of throwers, and encouragement. Everything posted here has been very, very helpful in figuring out how to make this year's camping/shooting weekend go **way beyond** our campout of 2 years ago.

I especially want to pass on my deep appreciation to Shingle Monkey.

Yesterday, myself, the Scoutmaster, and one of the assistant Scoutmasters drove to Indy to meet him and take him up on his offer to purchase a trap thrower for our Troop. His generous contribution of a shotgun and funds will allow us to purchase a Do-all sit-down 3/4 cock trap thrower, ammunition, and other supplies.

THANK YOU from the bottom of all of our hearts.

Shingle Monkey: be assured that further thanks and pictures from our campout next weekend (weather cooperating) will be coming your way!

Best,
BB62

Buckaroo
04-25-2007, 10:53
Way to go Shingle Monkey!

I thank you as well as a former Scout and Scouter!

R. Emmelman
04-25-2007, 11:00
As it should be done this way. I would much rather donate money or equipment to such an orginization then buy "fund raiser" junk. I don't need the junk and they get to keep more of the funds. +1 on the "Way to go Shingle Monkey!" :patriot: