New fishing gear [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New fishing gear

Usingmyrights
03-25-2007, 19:39
Well there's a new Dicks sporting goods near me that had their grand opening today. There was a $10 off a $25+ purchase so I was going to stock up on ammo. Fine print said no firearms/ammo, so I decided to get some much needed new rods/reels. Was wanting an Uglystick combo setup. Inexpensive and decent quality. I'm no Bill Dance after all. Get there and they weren't on sale, and were cheaper at Walmart. Anyway with the sale they had, and the coupon I got 2 combos for $8 each. They're Daiwa Cygnus with Cygnus 2500 reels. I should have bought more of them at that price. But still plan on getting a better setup. For $8 I can't complain.

Sharker
03-26-2007, 08:27
I see your in Jacksonville.....
You should have went to Strike Zone last weekend...
They had their yearly tent sale. Nothing around beats the prices they have, and its on quality stuff. They also had a rep from Momoi Line their to respool reels. It was WAY under normal costs.

Dicks is a waste of space to me.

Usingmyrights
03-26-2007, 18:20
Originally posted by Sharker
I see your in Jacksonville.....
You should have went to Strike Zone last weekend...
They had their yearly tent sale. Nothing around beats the prices they have, and its on quality stuff. They also had a rep from Momoi Line their to respool reels. It was WAY under normal costs.

Dicks is a waste of space to me.

Didn't know about the tent sale. Also not real big into fishing as I don't have the time. Was going to buy some better stuff but at $8 a piece you really can't go wrong. I do need both of these reels lined. Never had to do it before. Figured it was something you could do yourself. Care to enlighten me a little more? Again, I'm no Bill Dance or anything (there's a funny reason I keep using him as a reference). Just want to fish for a little bass in the lake in my backyard. Probably won't get anything bigger then about 8lbs at most.

Sharker
03-28-2007, 14:28
First off, strike zone has some hunting stuff... usually awesome deals on ammo during the tent sale.

For spooling the spinning reels... you MUST spool the line on the reel so that it wraps the spool the same way it wrapped the spool the line came off of. Its easy.

Good luck and have fun. I used to live on Hodges blvd. Sandlewood canal has some HUGE bass... you would never think it to look at it, but I caught many many over 8 pounds in there. And I used predominately 4 pound test and live lizards. (It has been about 10 years since I lived there though)
Have a blast.