Food Dehydrating [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Food Dehydrating

UtahBen
03-25-2007, 20:35
Do any of you do this? I just bought one from Cabela's this week. I plan to use it mainly for jerky and drying food for backpacking.

I am just curious with what you have had the best luck with drying and what tasted the best.

tavo
03-26-2007, 03:52

major
03-26-2007, 14:04
But some steak and slice real thin (or just buy "minute" steaks from your grocer). Marinate in teriyaki or worcestershire sauce. Dry with paper towel until not dripping. Place on racks, flat, so they are not touching one another. Rotate racks every 6 hours or so (just eyeball it...you can tell).

Quick and easy jerky.

UtahBen
03-27-2007, 17:11
Thanks for the tips guys. tavo that turkey jerky looks awesome.

I am drying some strawberries today for the 1st go around. I will post a report when finished.

noway
03-27-2007, 17:54
Just remember with most meat the 1/4 lb rule. Most meats will reduce by 75% in gross weight when dried.

So 4lb of beef would net you 1lb, if your lucky ;)

jawjaboy
04-01-2007, 06:15
We've had an Excalibur 9 tray for 10/12 years. Still rockin'. For beef, I use one bottle of Moore's Marinade mixed WELL with 1/4 cup of ketchup and a tablespoon of ground red pepper. Slice the beef 1/8-3/16" thick, and soak in the mixture for one hour. Longer than one hour equals a higher sodium saturation. If you want it sweeter, add more ketchup. Want +/- heat? Adjust red pepper. I've tried a pile of marinade recipe's...I like this one the best, and it's so simple to make.

This book from Excalibur is well worth the money!

http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/Preserve-It-Naturally-II-24-41-regular-prod.htm

Lowrider 49
04-01-2007, 23:35
Year before last, my boys and I made 200 lbs of jerky from 12 deer. We cut the back straps out and ate them alone and most of the reat went into jerky. A big plastic pretzel barrel full of jerky lasted for about 30 minutes at a Larosse game. Hot smoked was the favorite!! I can't think of anything better except maybe fresh smoked salmon.

Wulfenite
04-19-2007, 21:30
I have a little cast off dehydrator from a friend. I do a little jerky once in a while, and one batch of bay leaves from the bay tree each year....which reminds me its time to pick.

Actually, a really great way to do jerky is something I learned on good eats. Alton took 2x2 filters for a forced AC/Heat system, put the meat on the pleets, stacked them up an bungeed them to a box fan. You dehydrate without heat. Makes very nice jerky.

Lowrider 49
04-19-2007, 22:05
Alton rocks!!!!