Shall Issue/May Issue? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shall Issue/May Issue?


Atlantya
03-26-2007, 21:07
Based on a conversation I was having with someone yesterday, I started to wonder how many people actually live in states that have Shall Issue licenses vs. May Issue licenses?

And, as I understand it, those of you in May Issue states, someone has to decide that you have a good reason to carry a concealed weapon, correct? How tightly is that decision controlled, and who makes that decision?

Is there anyone on this board that lives in Vermont or Alaska?

Lynn D
03-27-2007, 13:12
Here in NY, it is a toss up. I was advised to put "personal safety" or "self-defense" (I can't remember which) along with "hunting", "target", etc. on my application. Judges here have the right to decide what type of permit they grant. It may be "restricted" to only one or two of the above, and the permit will have that listed.

I was granted an unrestricted permit. Sometimes, depending on which county you live in, will determine whether you get a permit or not. Some counties are very hard to get one, others not.

And you have to have a permit just to handle a pistol at a shop. And then each time I buy a gun, I have to pay for it at the shop, get a receipt, take it to the county clerk, pay a fee for it to be added to my permit, get another receipt, and go back to the shop to pick up my gun.

Can be a royal pain in the butt, but at least I have the right to carry!

RENEA
03-27-2007, 14:00
Sounds like the system they have in the UK!

Originally posted by Lynn D
Here in NY, it is a toss up. I was advised to put "personal safety" or "self-defense" (I can't remember which) along with "hunting", "target", etc. on my application. Judges here have the right to decide what type of permit they grant. It may be "restricted" to only one or two of the above, and the permit will have that listed.

I was granted an unrestricted permit. Sometimes, depending on which county you live in, will determine whether you get a permit or not. Some counties are very hard to get one, others not.

And you have to have a permit just to handle a pistol at a shop. And then each time I buy a gun, I have to pay for it at the shop, get a receipt, take it to the county clerk, pay a fee for it to be added to my permit, get another receipt, and go back to the shop to pick up my gun.

Can be a royal pain in the butt, but at least I have the right to carry!

tous
03-27-2007, 15:00
Originally posted by Lynn D
Here in NY, it is a toss up. I was advised to put "personal safety" or "self-defense" (I can't remember which) along with "hunting", "target", etc. on my application. Judges here have the right to decide what type of permit they grant. It may be "restricted" to only one or two of the above, and the permit will have that listed.

I was granted an unrestricted permit. Sometimes, depending on which county you live in, will determine whether you get a permit or not. Some counties are very hard to get one, others not.

And you have to have a permit just to handle a pistol at a shop. And then each time I buy a gun, I have to pay for it at the shop, get a receipt, take it to the county clerk, pay a fee for it to be added to my permit, get another receipt, and go back to the shop to pick up my gun.

Can be a royal pain in the butt, but at least I have the right to carry!

Gee, that's a bit more complicated than:

walk into shop
pick out new toy
show my good-guy card
fill out big yellow form
pay
leave

:wavey:

Lynn D
03-27-2007, 17:03
Originally posted by tous
Gee, that's a bit more complicated than:

walk into shop
pick out new toy
show my good-guy card
fill out big yellow form
pay
leave

:wavey:

Ayup. And how guns are added to permits is at the discretion of the county in which you live. My county types each new purchase on the back of the permit, and they add new sheets as you fill them up. One of my shooting buddies who lives in a neighboring county gets a new sheet for each gun. Since he has quite a large collection at home, his "permit" is about 1/4 inch thick. Ugh!

Perhaps I should move to Texas!

Atlantya
03-28-2007, 12:50
Yikes!

Do you mean to tell me that every gun you own has to be typed on the back of a card that you carry with you? What about a pistol you buy from a friend or something? Do you have to run right down and have that put on the back of your card too? What happens when you then sell one of those guns? Do you have to report that so they can take it off your card? How does that differ at all from gun registration?

That would all majorly suck.

And you can't even walk into your local gun shop and fondle the merchandise without a permit in the first place? How does anyone even get started shooting in the first place then? You have to apply for a permit, get the permit, and then get the gun? How would you even know you like that particular gun?

Weird.

Brigrat
03-28-2007, 13:05
if it s anything like California, you can't buy a pistol from a friend unless you do it through an FFL.

SARDG
03-28-2007, 17:02
Originally posted by Atlantya
Yikes!

You have to apply for a permit, get the permit, and then get the gun? How would you even know you like that particular gun?

Weird.
My home state of Missouri is the same way. Go to Sheriff and get permit for 10 bucks, THEN go to gun shop and buy gun. You have 30 days to use that $10 permit or it expires and you can't buy a gun without getting another permit. Having a CCW makes no difference. You can however, go fondle guns at any time...

The legislature is trying to get rid of that permit business, right now.

Florida is MUCH better...
No permit EVER needed but a 3-day wait to purchase if you don't have a CWL (Concealed Weapons License).

With CWL; go to shop, sign the fed firearm form, get over-the phone NICS check, walk out w/gun (uh - after paying).

Received my CWL within 2 weeks from FL by submitting electronic fingerprints (fm local Sheriff's office), and DD-214 (Navy Honorable Discharge). No class required for vets.

Lynn D
03-28-2007, 20:43
Originally posted by Atlantya
Yikes!

Do you mean to tell me that every gun you own has to be typed on the back of a card that you carry with you? Yup!

What about a pistol you buy from a friend or something?Have to have a notarized affadavit (I think), and may need to go through FFL
Do you have to run right down and have that put on the back of your card too?Tecnically, you can't have possession before it's added to your permit
What happens when you then sell one of those guns? Do you have to report that so they can take it off your card?Yes. You file a separate set of paperwork (for about fee, I think) and it is "removed". There is also a way to have "shared custody" of a gun (a friend can lend it, but it still needs to be on your permit), also for a fee.

That would all majorly suck.

And you can't even walk into your local gun shop and fondle the merchandise without a permit in the first place? How does anyone even get started shooting in the first place then? You have to apply for a permit, get the permit, and then get the gun? How would you even know you like that particular gun? Amen. Nope. Shops are required to ask, even when they know you. Some folks get started with airsoft guns, rifles, etc. Some start on family land, plinking away. Permits take for 3-12 months (depending on county and time of year) and cost about $120. And you don't know how you like the gun until you try. So what you do, generally, is make friends with folks at the range, and they let you shoot theirs. There are "rental ranges", but they are few and far between. None locally.

These rules do make it difficult to introduce new folks to shooting. I just completed NRA instructors course. For the most part, I'll be able to teach anyone, but if they don't have a permit, I'll have to be able to "teach" them on an airsoft or pellet pistol. Some folks find the cost of the permit prohibitive, not to mention the wait for one. Lots of rules and regulations to follow. Yeah, it can be hard, but folks who want to shoot, will go through all the paperwork and stuff.