What a crock.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What a crock....

sjstill
03-27-2007, 06:16
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070327/LOCAL1803/703270425

A 7-year-old boy faces gun charges on accusations he brought a loaded handgun to school last week to scare students who had picked on him, making him one of the youngest Marion County residents to be charged with a crime.

The second-grade student already was facing expulsion from IPS School 88 on the Eastside. On Monday, the Marion County prosecutor charged him in juvenile court with the equivalent of possession of a handgun without a license, a misdemeanor.
"That's crazy," said Bill Glick, echoing other child advocates' concern about the actions of both Indianapolis Public Schools and the prosecutor's office. Glick is executive director of Indiana Juvenile Task Force Inc.
"Seven-year-olds are incapable of understanding the consequences of actions like that," Glick said, adding that the child needed help, not a criminal case.

minuteman32
03-27-2007, 06:43
On the bright side, he's being charged w/ carrying w/o a permit (misdemenor), not gun on school grounds (felony). I can't help but wonder what would happen to a high schooler (18+ y.o.), w/ a permit, who gets caught w/ a gun in their car?!

KSFreeman
03-27-2007, 07:11
FERRET FACE IS PROSECUTING A SEVEN YEAR OLD?:shocked:

Wow, Carl, you're really cracking down on those gun-totin' thugs aren't you?:rofl:

IPDBrad
03-27-2007, 07:22
Not trying to say I agree with the prosecutor, however, a news release I heard quoted Brizzi as saying he filed charges so that the child would get some sort of counseling or gun safety course to prevent this from happeneing again.

My guess is that this was done through the juvenile court system because the responsibility for attending the counseling is on the parent. As we all know, many people won't do things unless forced to do so.

Based on what the child said and the restrictions carried at schools, if Carl was really trying to ding this kid, he could have filed a couple felonies on him.

KSFreeman
03-27-2007, 09:19
1. If FF wanted the child to have "counseling" then why not allow this to transpire civilly or administratively via CPS or the school? Why is the criminal system suddenly instant therapy or the substitute for a father? Forgive me if I do not feel all warm and fuzzy over the Prosecuting Attorney "helping" people.

2. The distinction between misdemeanors and felonies is a distinction without difference. You can send a child to IDoC on a misdemeanor as well as a felony, a delinquent is a delinquent.

We want to "help" by prosecuting children? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over?:sad:

Pitmaster
03-27-2007, 09:21
The kid doesn't need any counseling or charges brought against him. I don't think he's done anything wrong. OTOH, maybe his mother needs to be taking a more active role in his life and keep the key to the gun safe secure.

An even better idea would be to send the kid to some marital arts classes to learn how to defend himself. That would help solve the problem much better than counseling will.

Cannibal Roses
03-27-2007, 09:39
Whichever parent/adult figure in the home who allowed a weapon to be left where a child could get it is the one who needs to have charges brought up against them. The child could have easily killed himself or someone else, which would likely have ruined that boy's life permanently. That kind of irresponsibility is what gives responsible gun owners a bad name and cause our rights to own/carry to become threatened. It makes me mad that people are such careless idiots!

I can't believe anyone would prosecute a little boy. Mandatory counseling, yes, but criminal charges??? He's SEVEN, for God's sake.

(edited - spelling error)

KSFreeman
03-27-2007, 10:13
I can't believe I'm still posting but FF's excuse about wanting to "help", really has my blood boiling.

Under juvenile law, there is a procedure know as "informal adjustment" wherein the Probation Department does not forward the police report to the Prosecuting Attorney but deals with it administratively/contractually in the probation department. This is often done for first referrals (drinking, dope, breaking into stores for the thrill of it, etc.). Kids are told to stay out of trouble for say 6 months, may be required to be pee tested, and have their grades reviewed.

Ferret Face does not have to get ink and media time by prosecuting this child. He could have let Probation handle it but noooo we have to make a political point on the back of a seven year old.

Hold your head up high, Mr. Brizzi.:wavey:

usaf207cwf
03-27-2007, 10:51
Not the kid...but the parents should have charges levied against them.

Waste of time and money to prosecute the kid.

KSFreeman
03-27-2007, 12:52
usa, did not the mother lock the gun up and the child got a hold of the keys somehow?

Pitmaster
03-27-2007, 13:15
Originally posted by KSFreeman
usa, did not the mother lock the gun up and the child got a hold of the keys somehow?

The gun was in the mother's "lockbox" and the kid got the key somewhere.

usaf207cwf
03-27-2007, 20:00
Originally posted by KSFreeman

How did the kid get the keys? Parents too often underestimate the responsibility of raising a kid. The buck has to stop somewhere.

IPDBrad
03-27-2007, 20:26
Originally posted by usaf207cwf
How did the kid get the keys? Parents too often underestimate the responsibility of raising a kid. The buck has to stop somewhere.

BINGO.

Gun secure, good. Now secure the key.

As far as using the criminal justice system for therapy or subtitute daddy, I agree. I wish people would quit calling me when they can't handle the 14 y/o they have neglected for, oh, 14 years.

rhino465
03-27-2007, 20:45
My dad had a .38spl snubbie when I was growing up. I knew where it was. It was not locked in any way.

I did not dare even consider going to look at it, much less touch it, much less remove it from its place of rest.

I wasn't trained formally in gun safety by my parents, but I was trained to behave and to stay away from things that might hurt me or someone else.

The parents bear the RESPONSIBILITY for this since it's their child and he's just a little guy. He bears some fault because he is near or past the age of reason (more or less) and should have known better. But the responsibility is not the same as fault, and the parents bear 100% of the former.

txgho1911
03-27-2007, 21:01
Kurt, My Significant Other has a problem with the association you have made between Carly Brizzy and a Ferret.
That is an insult to the ferret!

txgho1911
03-27-2007, 21:06
Just reported that FF had biggl35 tie chain and cable from the biggest rig; around his neck and pulled with a loud sucking noise to extricate his skull from rectum.
Changed his mind and will not file charges. Just lose his next election.

biggl35
03-28-2007, 00:18
Originally posted by txgho1911
Just reported that FF had biggl35 tie chain and cable from the biggest rig; around his neck and pulled with a loud sucking noise to extricate his skull from rectum.
Changed his mind and will not file charges. Just lose his next election.

FF's head had apprently been in "there" for quite a while, as I damn near snapped a 3/4" cable on a 60ton winch. Also, the loud "pop" when the suction was broke, can only be described as "earth shattering".

I need to get back to bed, it is friggin 2:15 am.
(Have I ever mentioned, how much I LOVE being on-call.)

KSFreeman
03-28-2007, 06:04
While I am relieved that the charges are dismissed, I cannot express my shock at the temerity of Carl Brizzi.

rhino, but you had a father. The boys IPDBrad deals with (probably nightly) and this poor kid, rarely, if ever, see their fathers.

Rikki
03-28-2007, 06:31
I guess some of you here don't like the Marion Co. Prosecutor?
Melinda Kennedy fans?
WTF? Marion Co. got what it voted for.

fire1035
03-28-2007, 07:19
Originally posted by Rikki
I guess some of you here don't like the Marion Co. Prosecutor?
Melinda Kennedy fans?
WTF? Marion Co. got what it voted for.

For real would you rather have Carl or Meliar?

I'm going to start voting Libertarian.......

KSFreeman
03-28-2007, 07:26
It's possible to LIKE prosecutors?:supergrin: