1970's Ford F150 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1970's Ford F150

Rinehartdv
03-27-2007, 10:12
I'd like to find a 70's era Ford F150 with a straight, non-rusted body.
Do you folks know when they started adding the computerized junk to these trucks? I'd like to put something together with "Points and Plugs" technology.
I would install a new engine and use this vehicle until I croak.
Am I out in left field here?

Fenway
03-27-2007, 16:07
No you aren't in left field by any means. What do you mean by put it together. Do you want to find something thats not running and fix it. A project car? Or are you looking for a 70s Ford Truck you can just hop in and drive.

Originally posted by Rinehartdv
I'd like to find a 70's era Ford F150 with a straight, non-rusted body.
Do you folks know when they started adding the computerized junk to these trucks? I'd like to put something together with "Points and Plugs" technology.
I would install a new engine and use this vehicle until I croak.
Am I out in left field here?

walkin' trails
04-01-2007, 19:35
I'm not 100 percent, but I believe that Ford didn't go to an electronic ignition doing away with points in the late 70s. They didn't actually go to complete electronic engine management until 1985 or 86 when they fuel injected the 302s. The 300 got injected in 87. Not sure when the 351 and 460 finally got it.

Incidently, I was driving a high mileage, well used company E350 van of 85 vinage once back in the early 90s, I stomped on the gas and the thing took off like a bat out of he__. I figured it had a 460. I finally got curious and popped off the bonnet and found a 351W HO complete with Holley 4V. Certainly had electronic ignition, but it was still a carb and a whole lot less tangle of mess than later versions.

Used to be quite common to find an old F series with a straight 6 and a three speed. Search the net and perhaps one will pop up.

96f350
04-03-2007, 21:20
I've had a bunch of 70's ford trucks the oldest ones were 1977's. They had an ignition module or brain box. For the most part I didn't have many problems, but I learned to just keep an extra brain box in the truck, but a buddy said if he ever had problems with his he just took it off and tossed on the ground a couple of times reinstalled it and it was good to go.

spober
04-08-2007, 15:29
theres a red/white ford f 150 right on the by pass threw Wendell,N.C. can miss it comming in thre 64E threw town on you left after the MCdONALDS.

Clydeglide
04-08-2007, 17:16
I think you're going to have to go real early '70's to find points in an ignition.

You do know there is a reason why they did away with those things and never brought them back.:upeyes:

:cool: