Warning! Kershaw knife considered switchblade? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Warning! Kershaw knife considered switchblade?

Tito
03-27-2007, 11:54
Kershaw "Ken Onion" series knives utilize the "Speed Safe" system which incorporates a "tortion bar" that acts as a spring to assist opening. Kershaw is advertising that these are not switch blades and they are widely available in retail stores (so I'm told).

At least one Michigan District Court Judge from Oakland County has ruled they are not switch blades.

At least one Michigan District Court Judge from Ottawa County has ruled that the are switch blades. (BTW dude used it to slice up a bunch of car tires).

I'm not here to give legal advice, or participate in an argument about whether they should be legal or not (you guys can do that if you want), just to say be careful!

Edit: Here is what the statute says, it is a 1 year misdemeanor:

750.226a. Pocket knife opened by mechanical device; unlawful sale or possession; persons exempted.

Sec. 226a. Any person who shall sell or offer to sell, or any person who shall have in his possession any knife having the appearance of a pocket knife, the blade or blades of which can be opened by the flick of a button, pressure on a handle or other mechanical contrivance shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment in the county jail for not to exceed 1 year or by a fine of not to exceed $300.00, or both.The provisions of this section shall not apply to any one-armed person carrying a knife on his person in connection with his living requirements.

ZIPGRAVER
03-27-2007, 13:21
I believe that law outlaws a knife that has the blade COMPLETELY opened by spring pressure. The onion knives aren't supposed to open all the way. You still must flick your wrist to finish the opening. However something is amiss because I just engraved one of those for a police cheif in FL and that sucker definitely snapped all the way open when I pushed the button.:shocked:

PDogSniper
03-30-2007, 07:02
Do you have a link for these so-called decisions...?

Tito
03-30-2007, 12:32
Originally posted by PDogSniper
Do you have a link for these so-called decisions...?

No one publishes district court opinions.

10 Ring Tao
03-30-2007, 22:23
Is this one of those things that you really only need to worry about if you're out on the town with unlawful intent?

RS2
03-31-2007, 09:55
Originally posted by 10 Ring Tao
Is this one of those things that you really only need to worry about if you're out on the town with unlawful intent?

No, not really. If the Kershaw were considered a switchblade, mere possession would be illegal, even in your own home, irrespective of intent.

The statutory definition, though, might be argued to refer to a mechanical opening other than pressure on the blade itself, which is how the Kershaws work.

frostee
04-03-2007, 11:46
If in doubt about a specific knife, ask a bona fide knife expert.
http://www.knife-expert.com/

Alpha Male
04-06-2007, 11:41
"At least one Michigan District Court Judge from Oakland County has ruled they are not switch blades."

The case in question happened in Waterford Township. Kershaw supplied expert statements. The judge ruled accordingly. You may contact Kershaw or do your own legwork at the courthouse for additional details.