New to the Triangle [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New to the Triangle

lesterm
03-28-2007, 21:37
Hi all,

I recently moved to the Triangle area (Durham, I'm a grad student at Duke), and was looking at firearms laws, and was shocked to see that Durham requires a pistol purchase permit and two character references. As a former resident of Pennsylvania, I was a little shocked to hear of this rule. Is this only for Durham county, or does this hold for all of NC? What about the surrounding counties, like Orange?

SBM
03-28-2007, 21:41
All 100 counties require you to have either a pistol permit to buy, or a CCP. NC is a shall issue state, so unless you have sometthing in your past that would keep you from owning one, its not a big deal. Before I got my CCP, I just bought 5 at a time. Each counties permit department will vary in the time that it takes to get them, if you are just buying a permit...around here, if they know you, its about a day, otherwise, 5 to 30 from what I hear in other counties.

Dinky
03-28-2007, 21:59
2 permits from Durham and they will take all of the required time.

I believe they still requier you to register your handgun.

And they take the full 90 days for a carry permit.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Welcome to Durham:wavey:

bogey3737
03-31-2007, 14:11
Originally posted by lesterm
Hi all,

I recently moved to the Triangle area (Durham, I'm a grad student at Duke), and was looking at firearms laws, and was shocked to see that Durham requires a pistol purchase permit and two character references. As a former resident of Pennsylvania, I was a little shocked to hear of this rule. Is this only for Durham county, or does this hold for all of NC? What about the surrounding counties, like Orange?

Welcome to NC...I'm also in grad school at Duke and, having moved from TX, was disappointed in the local laws. Handgun registration is the law here, and you need a permit to purchase if you don't have a NC CHL. My TX license is recognized, but I've been toying with just getting the NC permit when I can find the time.

lilbuddy
03-31-2007, 20:51
Welcome to nc and to Durham. I live in Durham as well. I believe all counties are the same. I did hear that you have to register your hand guns in durham. I need to find out more about this. If you are going to be here for a little while you may want to look into CCW. Duke is awesome and I love the school but Durham can be a jungle some times.....

check this out http://www.durhamdvd.com/

bogey3737
04-01-2007, 07:37
Registering involves going to the Durham County courthouse downtown and giving them the make, model, serial #, and purchase info (price, purchase date, vendor). There is no charge :shocked: and the process is relatively painless...except for that sick feeling you get in the pit of your stomach because you just told a liberal government exactly what you have on hand.

You know...I probably need to get a good fireproof safe for my guns...I'm really worried that they'll get destroyed in a fire or stolen someday. Of course...I may just end up selling them all because I felt unsafe with weapons in the house. :supergrin:

lilbuddy
04-01-2007, 08:12
Originally posted by bogey3737
Registering involves going to the Durham County courthouse downtown and giving them the make, model, serial #, and purchase info (price, purchase date, vendor). There is no charge

so you have to do this if you purchase any hand gun? Even if its from a dealer?

bogey3737
04-02-2007, 15:44
Originally posted by lilbuddy
so you have to do this if you purchase any hand gun? Even if its from a dealer?

Yup...not just for new purchases either. I had to register all of my handguns when I moved from out of state.

lilbuddy
04-02-2007, 19:35
I talked to a couple LE and yes you are supposed to do this...and no one does it....not to say thats right but I guess they dont crack down too much on it.

Nelybarg
04-02-2007, 20:00
i live in durham. yes its true that you are required to register handguns at the sheriffs office. this is the only county in this state that requires it.
i just looked over the letter they gave me after i picked up a pistol purchase permit. it states something to the effect of that it is a misdemeanor if you do not register your handguns. however, it does not list a general statute by number as reference. i've been looking over the general assembly's site to try to find it and i cant. packing.org may have something there.
i cant wait to move out of this county.

bogey3737
04-03-2007, 09:23
I talked to a couple LE and yes you are supposed to do this...and no one does it....not to say thats right but I guess they dont crack down too much on it.

My main concern was that it'd become an issue if (God forbid) I ever had to use a handgun in self defense. Given the past behavior of the DA's office in Durham, I don't want to give them anything they could turn against me.

lilbuddy
04-03-2007, 10:56
My main concern was that it'd become an issue if (God forbid) I ever had to use a handgun in self defense. Given the past behavior of the DA's office in Durham, I don't want to give them anything they could turn against me.

I actually saw Mike at a restaurant a couple of weeks ago and I was near Duke Campus.....I could not believe he has the balls to show is face around here....

Can you down load the form and fax it to them? I guess I need to call them...being in Durham I feel that my chances are higher in durham of having to use it then most other nc cities....but like you said god forbid .....the thought actually makes my stomach turn.

lesterm
04-03-2007, 14:29
I actually saw Mike at a restaurant a couple of weeks ago and I was near Duke Campus.....I could not believe he has the balls to show is face around here....

Can you down load the form and fax it to them? I guess I need to call them...being in Durham I feel that my chances are higher in durham of having to use it then most other nc cities....but like you said god forbid .....the thought actually makes my stomach turn.

Mike Nifong... grrrr, what a tool.

bogey3737
04-04-2007, 17:21
Doubt you can fax it....I recall having to take an oath on the spot that the info was indeed correct. I may be hallucinating, though.

A phone call will answer that question...but good luck getting connected to the right dept :upeyes:

I think they transferred me four times before I talked to someone who knew what they were doing.

lilbuddy
04-04-2007, 18:21
Doubt you can fax it....I recall having to take an oath on the spot that the info was indeed correct. I may be hallucinating, though.

A phone call will answer that question...but good luck getting connected to the right dept :upeyes:

I think they transferred me four times before I talked to someone who knew what they were doing.

sorry for the hijack....dont you just talk to the folks that you get your ccl from?...the gals in the basement :supergrin:

Dinky
04-04-2007, 19:45
sorry for the hijack....dont you just talk to the folks that you get your ccl from?...the gals in the basement :supergrin:

Nope, upstairs to the County clerk, I think

lilbuddy
04-04-2007, 20:05
my neighbors girlfriend works up there...LOL and hes LE. I may stop by on Friday. I assume they are open even though its good friday.

WolfiePacker
04-04-2007, 21:41
This is why I'm in Raleigh :P

bogey3737
04-05-2007, 10:50
Originally posted by Dinky
Nope, upstairs to the County clerk, I think

Yup...that's the place...and they're actually really friendly in person.