Colorado Passes anti-CCW bill [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Passes anti-CCW bill

g5reality
03-29-2007, 00:19
Colorado Passes anti-CCW bill

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
House Democrats pass anti-gun bill to guv

http://http://www.coloradosenatenew...nt/view/324/26/

Quote:
Wednesday, 28 March 2007

House legislators approved a Senate Democrat measure today barring Colorado residents on using out-of-state concealed carry permits for their self-defense needs.

The bill is now en route to Gov. Bill Ritter for consideration.
Senate Bill 34, by freshman Sen. John Morse, D-Colorado Springs, and House Majority Leader Alice Madden, D-Boulder, restricts Colorado’s recognition of valid out-of-state concealed-carry firearms permits. It passed in the House by a mostly party-line vote of 36-29.

Sen. Greg Brophy, R-Wray, expressed his displeasure of the bill’s outcome in the House.

“The Legislature has taken its first shot at the Second Amendment,” said Brophy after learning of the House vote on the proposal. “I’m anxious to see if the governor will stand up for the Second Amendment or not.”

During its Senate debate, SB 34 became an immediate, top-priority target of opposition from gun-rights groups led by the National Rifle Association.

Critics of the bill point out there is no point in creating another bureaucratic hurdle to concealed-carry permit holders arriving in Colorado from other states because, like permit holders in Colorado, they are overwhelmingly law-abiding citizens.

Democrat Senators Lois Tochtrop, of Thornton, and Bob Hagedorn, of Aurora, and Jim Isgar, of Hesperus, voted with a majority of GOP senators against SB 34 last month.

“What concerned me was that out-of-state valid permit holders who come to Colorado are breaking the law (under the bill),” said Isgar.

Republicans argued in the Senate that SB 34 should be re-written to expand current law so that Colorado would recognize every valid concealed-carry firearms permit issued to legal citizens of the United States.

“This bill is an unnecessary restriction on concealed-carry permit holders,” Brophy said. “I’m disappointed that it’s moving on.”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please contact:
Governor Bill Ritter
136 State Capitol
Denver, CO 80203-1792

Phone
(303) 866-2471

Fax
(303) 866-2003

Governor.ritter@state.co.us

http://www.colorado.gov/governor/contact.html

Let him know how you feel and that you don't want him to sign this into law.

thetoastmaster
03-29-2007, 18:12
So, let me understand this. The Colorado State Senate wants to stop Colorado residents from carrying on out-of-state permits. Is that right? What can I, as a Utah resident, do to stop it?

Don't take this the wrong way. If it were up to me, no one (again, no one) would need any permit to carry anything he wants; but, until federal, state, and local governments universally recognize the Second Amendment, Colorado can do what it will.

Now, the question: will this bill, if passed, affect Colorado/Utah reciprocity?

Cokeman
03-29-2007, 23:51
There are a few threads about this in the Carry Issues section.

g5reality
03-30-2007, 00:18
If you are a utah resident and carry a valid Utah drivers license then you will be able to carry in Colorado. If you have a NON-RESIDENT Utah license then NO. Same with Florida. So basically they will only offer reciprocity to Resident CCW's no more non-resident. I would hope all states that have reciprocity withe Colorado would yank it in support of their permits not being completely accepted. After all we all have the same requirements residents or not.

Cokeman
03-30-2007, 00:28
All you need is a driver's license?

thetoastmaster
03-30-2007, 06:19
Again, what does this have to do with Utah?

phox_mulder
03-30-2007, 10:24
So basically.
If you live in Colorado, get a Colorado CCW.

No more slipping over to Utah and getting a cheap easy Utah CCW and using that to carry in CO.

phox

thetoastmaster
03-30-2007, 11:47
Precisely.

Sambolijah
03-30-2007, 15:13
Arizona did the exact same thing a couple years ago.