Virginia law on private handgun sales [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Virginia law on private handgun sales

bigtuna
03-29-2007, 03:03
I'm trying to find the Virginia law on private handgun sales between individuals within the state, between two Virginia residents.

I'm not talking about the law which addresses sales of handguns which are curios or relics between individuals, I'm looking for a law addressing the sale of modern-day handguns.

I know it's legal, because before buying a Glock from another Virginia citizen last year, I called the Virginia State Police and they said it's perfectly legal and there's no background checking or any kind of paperwork. Their words, "Just buy the gun as if you were buying any other item. We don't need to know about. Get a sales receipt, if you like, but it's not required. The seller must verify that the buyer is a Virginia resident."

But I can't find the law in writing that says all this. Can someone help me find it? Is the absence of a law regulating the private sale of modern-day handguns between individuals, implied permission to do so?

(Again, I'm not looking for the law which only addresses the sale of multiple handguns which are curios or relics. I already found that one.)

golai
03-29-2007, 06:08
The absense of a law regulating the private sale of firearms means there is no prohibition. One cannot be charged with a crime unless a specific statute or regulation prohibits the conduct.

Slinger646
03-29-2007, 06:20
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I buy and sell privately all the time.

alien-Glocker
03-29-2007, 12:22
The absense of a law regulating the private sale of firearms means there is no prohibition. One cannot be charged with a crime unless a specific statute or regulation prohibits the conduct.

Exactly the same as open carry in Virginia. There is no law against it so it is legal.

Also private sales are the non-existent gun show loop hole they try to close on an annual basis in Richmond.

RussP
03-30-2007, 20:47
Just make certain the seller is a resident of Virginia and record their DL information "just in case".

:cool:

Wiley
03-31-2007, 18:50
Originally posted by RussP
Just make certain the seller is a resident of Virginia and record their DL information "just in case".

:cool:

Excuse me, as buyer or seller you may look at my DL for verification of residence but no record will be made.

BJtheFlip
04-01-2007, 10:19
I bought a handgun from a friend. There is no law stating you need to do anything. But we found a blank bill of sales form online, wrote the serial number, date, personal info, and signed it just to make sure. No ffl needed.

Rabbit994
04-02-2007, 11:08
Originally posted by Wiley
Excuse me, as buyer or seller you may look at my DL for verification of residence but no record will be made.

Then obviously RussP and you may not do business together. I require CHP before I will do a private transaction.

G30Jack
04-03-2007, 06:36
Originally posted by Rabbit994
Then obviously RussP and you may not do business together. I require CHP before I will do a private transaction.

I'll buy from anyone I can verify character but only sell or trade with another permit holder.