She stopped the burgler and saved her stuff [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : She stopped the burgler and saved her stuff

ArmyCop
03-29-2007, 20:46
http://www.wkrg.com/servlet/Satellite?c=MGArticle&cid=1173350481732&pagename=WKRG/MGArticle/KRG_BasicArticle

Pinki
03-30-2007, 18:30
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

kimigirl
03-31-2007, 21:14
While it is great that it ended the way it did, if she didn't have good cops arrive, she could have gotten in trouble for instigating this. She blocked the guy in and pulled her pistol. While we would all be tempted to do this, me included to protect the things we have worked so hard for...her life was not in danger. If she had had to fire...a anti jury could have decided she started things in the first place.

BTW...why would her pistol have a clip? I believe she meant to say magazine...:tongueout:

Atlantya
04-01-2007, 09:01
Exactly what I was thinking when I read the article, kimigirl. The woman was at no time in any physical danger or feared for her life, it was only stuff, yet she still chose to draw her weapon.

In a town south of me, a jury recently found a man guilty of first degree intentional homicide after rejecting his argument of self-defense. A teen was attempting to break into his girlfriend's car when the man decided to shoot him, claiming he felt his life was in danger. JSOnline (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=530397)

When I talk to people about concealed carry and using firearms for personal protection, I often hear people say some version "Just say 'I was in fear for my life!' and you're golden.", including someone I know who is an EMT certified to carry concealed on the job. I say it's not that cut and dried. District Attornies and juries aren't exactly that stupid.

If something had gone wrong and that woman in the article above had ended up taking that man's life over her possessions, well..... It's just stuff. He wasn't threatening her or her children's life. Was it really worth risking her personal freedom?

FireGuy
04-02-2007, 10:15
My belief (and as you know YMMV) is that the situation depends on where you live. Some places deny you the right to keep the things you have worked for, preferring to let thieves walk off with your possessions. Other places believe that you have a right to protect your property from unlawful confiscation.

What you do in the situation will depend on you. So make your decision now, then be prepared to act on that decision. If you would just let the thief walk, or even help him load the truck, then please post signs. We wouldn't want those pesky thieves getting hurt by robbing the wrong house... :upeyes: And remember - they aren't going to be too happy if you block in their truck - maybe you can just give them the keys to your car while you're at it... :supergrin:

Atlantya
04-02-2007, 19:28
Sure, that's one way to look at it, and as you say, YMMV. And, as you say, you have to find out what the laws are where you live.

I just think I'd rather breathe air as a free woman, getting righteously hammered sharing a bottle of Hangar One with friends who are consoling me over the jackass I discovered stealing my stuff outta my house rather than sharing a cell with my new best friend, Queenie, sleeping with one eye open, all because the jury decided I unnecessarily escalated the situation and it resulted in me unnecessarily killing a man.

And all over lamps and stuffed animals and ....stuff- that can be replaced.

Lives can't be replaced. Stuff can. I wonder if the guy in the town south of me, sitting in his jail cell right now, thinks it's still worth sitting the rest of his life in jail just to save a car?

kimigirl
04-02-2007, 19:51
Originally posted by Atlantya
Sure, that's one way to look at it, and as you say, YMMV. And, as you say, you have to find out what the laws are where you live.

I just think I'd rather breathe air as a free woman, getting righteously hammered sharing a bottle of Hangar One with friends who are consoling me over the jackass I discovered stealing my stuff outta my house rather than sharing a cell with my new best friend, Queenie, sleeping with one eye open, all because the jury decided I unnecessarily escalated the situation and it resulted in me unnecessarily killing a man.

And all over lamps and stuffed animals and ....stuff- that can be replaced.

Lives can't be replaced. Stuff can. I wonder if the guy in the town south of me, sitting in his jail cell right now, thinks it's still worth sitting the rest of his life in jail just to save a car?
Agreed 100%!