You push, I steer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : You push, I steer

breech
03-30-2007, 08:54
What's so hard about that concept? I worked with a relatively new EMT the other shift. Do they not teach this anymore in school? He just didn't grasp the concept of stretcher maneuvering. He thought it was my job to pull the stretcher along with the patient. At certain times I would 'let up' on my end (front) to see how much pushing he was doing. NONE. I politely corrected him. It's a team effort.

Rant off.

Lynn D
03-30-2007, 15:49
As a newly minted EMT-B, I'll say it. Nope, we really don't get a whole lot of gurney experience in class.

Now, my agency has some folks really interested in making sure we know what we're doing. I was in the middle of an impromptu "Gurney 101" last week with one of the ALS techs. Good stuff, but we got sent on a call, and I didn't have time to finish.

Will be planning on learning it frontwards/backwards and sideways! It's only two of you, so we have to work together!

RLDS45S
03-30-2007, 23:31
Keep the stretcher to one side of the hallway. Do not block the elvator door so no one can get off so you can get on! Oh yeah always take the foot end, it is lighter!:banana: Oh yeah remember that every one has one good last walk left in them!:thumbsup:

nsb22
03-31-2007, 00:07
I can tell you that some of the people who have been in the business for a while don't know the concept of pushing. I've "talked" to a few rookies myself though.

I used to have one partner that you did not want to get in our way. We didn't walk all that fast with a PT, but with the empty cot, you better be ready to move! We had a rookie with us one day who couldn't keep up with us! :animlol:

breech
03-31-2007, 09:31
Originally posted by nsb22
I can tell you that some of the people who have been in the business for a while don't know the concept of pushing. I've "talked" to a few rookies myself though.

I used to have one partner that you did not want to get in our way. We didn't walk all that fast with a PT, but with the empty cot, you better be ready to move! We had a rookie with us one day who couldn't keep up with us! :animlol:

LOL I know what you've been. I've worked with some power walkers before. :rofl: Make me laugh just thinking about it.

On another note to anyone new to EMS.. In any kind of off-camber situations PLEASE put two hands on the stretcher. I'd hate to see someone tip over. That's even more headaches. One hand is fine in flat situations (ie hospitals) but it doesn't work too well in other situations. Even on the street. I've seen near mishaps.

hirs80
04-17-2007, 08:59
Originally posted by breech
LOL I know what you've been. I've worked with some power walkers before. :rofl: Make me laugh just thinking about it.

On another note to anyone new to EMS.. In any kind of off-camber situations PLEASE put two hands on the stretcher. I'd hate to see someone tip over. That's even more headaches. One hand is fine in flat situations (ie hospitals) but it doesn't work too well in other situations. Even on the street. I've seen near mishaps.

This person knows the deal. :thumbsup: