Brand new [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Brand new

THEPOPE
03-30-2007, 21:56
Brand-spanking new fishing season has started here in northeastern Indiana, and, as usual, I always get anxious after a week of mild and temperate weather.

So, a week ago, on Sunday, I head out, expecting to find ice still on my lakes, which are a chain of waters in deep woods, and kind of sheltered by high ridges, so ice is usually on for quite a bit, even though the air can be very warm.

LUCK, as the ice is gone, however, the water is very screwed up, dirty and muddy looking lifeless appearing H2O.

I figure, " I'm here, the waters here, so in I go...".

I find a few short takers, on spinnerbaits, hey, life....OK...

I go through a canal, into a lake that is big enough and deep enough I figure on the water being a tad clearer, and I'm correct, at the inlet I just came through, it's washing muddy water in to the big lake.

While floating out, I "jig-n-pig " the bottom areas, catch a few 2 and a half pound bass...not bad, not bad....

One hour into the fishing, I hook a monster, I can tell it's a big bass, played it perfectly ( if I do say so myself, I'm getting real good at this ), and land a fish that goes 6 and a half pounds, according to my digital scale....Coolio..I can dig THAT !

Totals = 8 bass, ranging from 2 pounds, to the big one, at 6 1/2 pounds , not a bad day by a long shot, considering the water quality isn't good at all.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN !!

aYE mOUT ;)

mossy500camo
04-03-2007, 10:23
Originally posted by THEPOPE
Brand-spanking new fishing season has started here in northeastern Indiana, and, as usual, I always get anxious after a week of mild and temperate weather.

So, a week ago, on Sunday, I head out, expecting to find ice still on my lakes, which are a chain of waters in deep woods, and kind of sheltered by high ridges, so ice is usually on for quite a bit, even though the air can be very warm.

LUCK, as the ice is gone, however, the water is very screwed up, dirty and muddy looking lifeless appearing H2O.

I figure, " I'm here, the waters here, so in I go...".

I find a few short takers, on spinnerbaits, hey, life....OK...

I go through a canal, into a lake that is big enough and deep enough I figure on the water being a tad clearer, and I'm correct, at the inlet I just came through, it's washing muddy water in to the big lake.

While floating out, I "jig-n-pig " the bottom areas, catch a few 2 and a half pound bass...not bad, not bad....

One hour into the fishing, I hook a monster, I can tell it's a big bass, played it perfectly ( if I do say so myself, I'm getting real good at this ), and land a fish that goes 6 and a half pounds, according to my digital scale....Coolio..I can dig THAT !

Totals = 8 bass, ranging from 2 pounds, to the big one, at 6 1/2 pounds , not a bad day by a long shot, considering the water quality isn't good at all.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN !!

aYE mOUT ;)

Good Job! Keep up the good work!:thumbsup:

THEPOPE
04-06-2007, 21:32
Thanks, Mossy500camo, I will, in time...the area has had a real bad cold snap lasting 2 weeks now....probably won't be able to get on the water for another week at least...damn !!

I'm "jonesin' " for some bass action RIGHT NOW.....

Ahhh well, this can't last forever.

This story will continue when I get back to my search for the biggest bass in my favorite waters....

I am Out ;) and casting off.....

mossy500camo
04-08-2007, 19:49
Originally posted by THEPOPE
Thanks, Mossy500camo, I will, in time...the area has had a real bad cold snap lasting 2 weeks now....probably won't be able to get on the water for another week at least...damn !!

I'm "jonesin' " for some bass action RIGHT NOW.....

Ahhh well, this can't last forever.

This story will continue when I get back to my search for the biggest bass in my favorite waters....

I am Out ;) and casting off.....

HEY! I hear ya! Post pic's when possible.:thumbsup:

Razoreye
04-23-2007, 10:57
:wavey: POPE!! :hearts:

We so need to go fishing together.

I went Saturday night for some dusk fishing. I saw a few straddlers on the top but nothing spectacular. I fished using jigs, pigs, spinners, cranks, and tails. Nothing, nada, zilch. I had a small something strike my little jig just before I hit shore but it was nothing. I even cracked out the old bobber and worm and had zero hits.

The water temperature was a bit cold. If it wasn't for that recent two week cold snap, I'm betting it would have been warmer and better.

I did have 5 million male mosquitos humping my propane lantern. Talk about a bad smell... :yuck:

THEPOPE
04-26-2007, 22:10
Razoreye, if ever I get near your neck of the woods again, we will do some fishing, dude, no kidding...I used to get into Kentucky every couple years, and then into Tennessee, the North Eastern section, my wife was born in Jellico, Tn., near Pine Mountain, and we have been there a few times, and we spend time in the area of Eastern Ky. mostly, have fished Dale Hollow, Cumberland ,Cumberland River, near Cumberland Gap, and the Cumberland Falls, and Kentucky Lake....also Wood Creek, Ky. ( the state record largemouth was caught there, a smallish resevoir.

We have relatives in Corbin, Ky., and Laurel county....

We haven't been able to make the trip in a few years, but will, someday....

I have spent time in the Blue Ridge Mnt. area, Red River Gorge area, and some of the Indian areas south of the Smokies, also in the Great Smoky Mnt. National Park areas....

As I said, been in Tenn, too, love both states, great scenery and fishing.

( I have hair as long as my ass, so I never go without the wife...she knows people there, I don't, hell, I'ld probably get killed there, damn hippy...)

Any way, if I get another chance to go, I will try my damndest to hook up with you, even if we simply fish a river-bank, and shoot the *****, it would be cool to meet up.

Been way too cold up here for any real fishing lately, this coming week it should improve, may take a couple more weeks to get the fish active, as we have had cold rains, too.

I will keep you posted on my luck, or lack there-of...lol.

Later, I am Owwt

;)

Razoreye
04-27-2007, 22:21
Agreed! :thumbsup:

I was getting worried about you not posting to this thread! Gotta hate kidney stones!

<-- prays he never gets 'em!!

mossy500camo
04-28-2007, 21:28
Have any of you ladies and gents tried fishing /w soft plastics "Flukes"?

Razoreye
04-29-2007, 20:21
Originally posted by mossy500camo
Have any of you ladies and gents tried fishing /w soft plastics "Flukes"? Don't think so. Any tips on them? Success?

mossy500camo
04-29-2007, 20:50
Originally posted by Razoreye
Don't think so. Any tips on them? Success?

Razoreye, A nephew and I gave the "fluke" a try after these guys in the sporting goods store recommened them. They look like an injured shad. The guys told us to cast them and give the usual two jerks at a time technique. They said that the Bass were tearing them up on Lake Harding (Alabama side). They also recommended the "watermelon seed" color. But.. I had no luck with them. My nephew had a few strikes with them. That's about it. I had better luck yesterday with the good ole bucktail and bat wing frog.:thumbsup: Holla if you have success /w the "fluke". Mossy!