Free outdoor shooting near provo? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Free outdoor shooting near provo?

mudmanfloyd
03-31-2007, 13:33
Rangemasters is a little pricey for me and I wondered if there is any land near Provo where you can go shoot around?

mudmanfloyd
03-31-2007, 14:38
looks like i should have read the other posts first. I'll have to go see if I can find those spots on Utah lake.

Sambolijah
03-31-2007, 22:05
It's not outdoors,

but the orem rec center has an indoor pistol range (pistol calibers only).

If you don't have a membership, it's only $3.50.
I think you need to call and schedule a lane now, though.

mudmanfloyd
04-01-2007, 00:53
Thanks Sambo.

Specks
04-02-2007, 15:04
Provo city has a gun range off of Squaw Peak Road.
Although I don't think it's free, it is cheaper than Range Masters. Online it says it's open to the public Saturday and Wednesday from 4pm to 7pm. Cost is $2 per individual. This info is probably out dated as the website says it will open April 29 2006

I've never been, but I will probably check it out soon.
http://www.provo.org/parks.parks_Gun_Range_main.html

See attached for google map to the range.

mudmanfloyd
04-02-2007, 19:34
Ya, the website also mentions renting a key for 10 bucks. I wonder if you can use that key to get in there any day of the week to shoot. The Wednesday and Saturday hours are pretty limited.

RyDC
04-02-2007, 21:28
Originally posted by Sambolijah
It's not outdoors,

but the orem rec center has an indoor pistol range (pistol calibers only).

If you don't have a membership, it's only $3.50.
I think you need to call and schedule a lane now, though.

Orem Rec has a pretty decent range. There's six lanes, if memory serves. If you work funky hours like I do and can get in right when they open (4, I think?) then there's no wait. Later in the evening, and things start to pick up.

Pistol calibers only, up to 44 Mag. Don't bring in your .454 Casull or .500 S&W or anything else weird. You can shoot carbines in pistol calibers (like 9mm, .45, .357 Mag) as well.

Only weird look I got was when I was running my 10mm with hot loads. That turns a few heads.

Cokeman
04-02-2007, 21:51
Originally posted by RyDC
Orem Rec has a pretty decent range. There's six lanes, if memory serves. If you work funky hours like I do and can get in right when they open (4, I think?) then there's no wait. Later in the evening, and things start to pick up.

Pistol calibers only, up to 44 Mag. Don't bring in your .454 Casull or .500 S&W or anything else weird. You can shoot carbines in pistol calibers (like 9mm, .45, .357 Mag) as well.

Only weird look I got was when I was running my 10mm with hot loads. That turns a few heads.

I went on a Saturday and there was one other person there.

reerc
04-03-2007, 16:48
Originally posted by Cokeman
I went on a Saturday and there was one other person there.

What's it like? Have you been to Range Masters? How does it compare? Can you buy targets, or do you have to bring your own?

I just scanned Orem rec's whole PDF. It makes mention of their concealed and hunter safety classes, but makes no mention of renting out pistol lanes.

I may call them. Their numbers are 229-7154; 7156

Cokeman
04-03-2007, 18:56
I think I bought a few targets for a $.25 or $.50 or something like that. This was last summer sometime. The range looked like others that I have been to. I'm not remembering anything out of the ordinary. It might have been shorter than other ranges? Maybe not. I haven't been to Range Masters.

I thought you work at Range Masters. Why would you go to the Orem Rec range?

reerc
04-03-2007, 23:04
I thought you work at Range Masters. Why would you go to the Orem Rec range?

I don't work at Range Masters, but often speak highly of them because I like how they treat me there.

However, being the capitalist that I am, I'm not above trying someplace else too, especially if it's cheaper, and the service is excellent.

gsr
04-06-2007, 06:43
The Provo City range will be open again starting April 28th. I believe it is $2 per shooter.

Cokeman
04-07-2007, 02:03
Originally posted by gsr
The Provo City range will be open again starting April 28th. I believe it is $2 per shooter.

Address?

Steve Koski
04-07-2007, 05:18
Address? Look up about 6 posts.

Cokeman
04-07-2007, 19:05
Originally posted by Steve Koski
Look up about 6 posts.

Oh, that one. I thought there might be another.

mudmanfloyd
04-09-2007, 19:47
Just got back from the pistol range at the Orem Rec. Center. I paid $3.50 for a lane and 50 cents for 5 little targets. They are open 6-9pm. I had the place to myself for about a half an hour.
Its well lit, I think its just as long as rangemasters and its cheap. Bring your own targets unless you wanna shoot 8x11's from a copy machine.

hartzpad
04-14-2007, 21:37
The Provo City range off of Squaw Peak Rd. has been open through most of the winter. You just need to go when the gate is open (usually when the trap guys are shooting on Saturdays and Wed. afternoons/nights). I've shot there for the last few weeks on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Many times I have the whole place to myself and when there is no Provo City range officer there it is free, when they are there, it is $2 per person. I haven't paid to use that range since last summer.

gsr
04-16-2007, 19:09
The Provo City range will be open Wednesdays and Saturdays from 4 to 7 p.m., starting April 28th. It is only two dollars per shooter. There are many improvements being made there, and that is what your two dollars helps to pay for.