Brady Campaign proves gun control doesn't work [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Brady Campaign proves gun control doesn't work

Debunk Brady
04-01-2007, 13:54
This is a little file I put together. I took the Brady Campaign's state report cards and compared them to each state's violent crime rate, and got some interesting results.

Gregoriev
04-02-2007, 11:23

Debunk Brady
04-17-2007, 21:53
I am going to post a couple other files in here for anyone interested in reading.

Debunk Brady
04-17-2007, 21:54

Debunk Brady
04-17-2007, 21:55

Marauder.45
04-17-2007, 22:09
Sticky!!

Good work.

dman86
04-27-2007, 01:28
:thumbsup:

dman86
04-27-2007, 01:42
On your blog, change the font color of the hyperlinks under facts and stats. It's the same color as the background. Good work and keep up the fight.

Ulstulst
05-06-2007, 18:37
Correlation does not equal causation. In order for this to work, you would have to control for other factors that influence crime, like poverty levels, unemployment rates, demographics, police presence, etc. This makes a study of this nature MUCH more difficult.

An independent study published in the American Journal of Economics and Sociology called "The Effectiveness of Legislation Controlling Gun Usage" made an attempt at controlling for other independent variables linked to crime. They holistically "graded" the gun control laws in each state and their grades were similar to those of the Brady Campaign. They then used a "multivariate linear regression analysis," meaning they controlled for the other independent variables mentioned above, to try to establish a causal link (rather than a simple correlation) between gun control and crime.

Even with a study as complex as this one, there are still flaws that make it arguably inaccurate. Your study is a good exercise, but it by no means proves anything.

I personally am against stricter gun control, but I just wanted to point out what your opposition would tell you if you showed them this study. Playing the "devil's advocate," if you will.

EDIT: I just saw your disclaimer at the bottom of the page where you say basically the same thing I just said. I agree that it is an interesting study, just not a definitive one. I also agree that, from the research I've done and from the common sense/logical argument, gun control just doesn't work.

Brass Nazi
05-06-2007, 18:50
good job :thumbsup:

STG
05-24-2007, 02:03
I love this map from the Brady Campaign:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/modules/images/gun-violence-map.gif

I live in Wyoming. You'd think that a state rated "F" would have had at least one high profile gun incident since 1997.

You want solutions? Do what I did. Move to a state rated "F".:wavey:

Egyas
05-24-2007, 07:55
Oh snap! The Brady group just got pwned!

waltherone
05-24-2007, 11:03
Originally posted by STG
I love this map from the Brady Campaign:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/modules/images/gun-violence-map.gif

I live in Wyoming. You'd think that a state rated "F" would have had at least one high profile gun incident since 1997.

You want solutions? Do what I did. Move to a state rated "F".:wavey:

While their poster child state, California, rated A-, has 3 high profile shootings? Sweet.

Jerry
05-24-2007, 13:19
Originally posted by waltherone
While their poster child state, California, rated A-, has 3 high profile shootings? Sweet.

If you check the high profile shooting in Louisiana Iíll be it's the one where the police were the shooters. Guess we need to take their firearms. :animlol:

Bearjing
05-24-2007, 13:31
I live in New Mexico -- An F with no high profiles also.
Gotta love it!

STG
05-25-2007, 18:40
Originally posted by Bearjing
I live in New Mexico -- An F with no high profiles also.
Gotta love it!

Yeah, but Wyoming's "F" is lower than yours!:wavey:

SJRTX
08-05-2007, 17:02
Are the files hosted anywhere else? They seem to have been removed.

WIG19
08-24-2007, 11:04
Originally posted by Ulstulst
Correlation does not equal causation. In order for this to work, you would have to control for other factors that influence crime, like poverty levels, unemployment rates, demographics, police presence, etc. This makes a study of this nature MUCH more difficult.If one believes that there are limitless causal factors that contribute to a person's decision to behave criminally, then the Brady folks have won. How about "willingness to commit criminal acts" as a cause? I don't find many grieving mothers of dead or incarcerated perpetrators suing people because they can't cloak little Johnny ("such a good child") in one of those wrappers.
:shakehead:

:patriot:

Mushin
08-25-2007, 18:12
Use a bench rest, tripod, or both hands!

3/325
10-27-2007, 03:13
What exactly IS a "high profile" shooting? Is that a certain attacker-to-body count ratio? Is it a shooting that's sensationalized and misrepresented by the media?

How about a map of successful crime stopping because of an armed citizen? (No, I'm not really interested in the reasons why that would be unfeasible)

skip a stone
01-07-2008, 18:00
Great site keep up the good work! That first video clip reminds me of a part in the book "Animal Farm" were the pigs add or omit text in their own laws to support what ever agenda they have at the time to control the other animals!
Populations should not fear their governments. Governments should fear their populations!

firefighterlee
01-12-2008, 00:33
******* brady

B_RAD
01-13-2008, 00:10
What do these people think is going to happen if they get rid of all the guns? Let's entertain the idea that it's possible. People who want to commit crimes with weapons will just find other weapons. Maybe a knife, bat, car or anything else they can use. Look at the murders that take place in prisons. They find some creative ways to still kill people. In some cases they even make gun type weapons. The simple truth is that getting rid of guns will not stop violent crimes any more than getting rid of hamburgers will stop people from getting fat.

Glock20-10
01-14-2008, 08:40
What do these people think is going to happen if they get rid of all the guns? Let's entertain the idea that it's possible. People who want to commit crimes with weapons will just find other weapons. Maybe a knife, bat, car or anything else they can use. Look at the murders that take place in prisons. They find some creative ways to still kill people. In some cases they even make gun type weapons. .

Thou shalt not kill! With a knife, bat, car, fork, spoon, hammer, pen, pencil, rock, bottle, cell phone, stapler, tape dispenser, fishing rod, rope, water, and / or anything else.

The simple truth is that getting rid of guns will not stop violent crimes any more than getting rid of hamburgers will stop people from getting fat.

Tell that to rosie odonell

Click_sk8ter
01-17-2008, 18:01
pwned!!:whistling:

Herd Sniper
02-26-2008, 23:49
You guys do know that a couple of years ago Sarah Brady bought a high-powered (sniper) hunting rifle for her son? Google it. Sarah Brady and strawman purchases. She bought the rifle in her name and gave it to her son. This is something that she has been against for years and years. Now she turns around and does it herself.

W420Hunter
02-27-2008, 17:49
all i have to say

Codename46
03-12-2008, 19:49
no more updates to the web site? :crying:

Debunk Brady
05-14-2008, 19:36
I'm thinking of working on a new one.

Lady Glock
06-01-2008, 09:46
self delete

Local150
08-30-2008, 08:20
Don t know who is more brain dead Sarah or Jim....

vafish
09-16-2008, 07:56
You guys do know that a couple of years ago Sarah Brady bought a high-powered (sniper) hunting rifle for her son? Google it. Sarah Brady and strawman purchases. She bought the rifle in her name and gave it to her son. This is something that she has been against for years and years. Now she turns around and does it herself.

If you read the back of the 4473 a bonafide gift is not considered a straw purchase.

Texas357
09-16-2008, 11:45
If you read the back of the 4473 a bonafide gift is not considered a straw purchase.

The Brady Bunch hasn't tried to change that?

oni.dori
10-01-2008, 13:08

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but under certain circumstances, couldn't that be illegal?

Lady Glock
10-01-2008, 13:11
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but under certain circumstances, couldn't that be illegal?I've been told it isn't a strawman purchase if it is a parent buying for their child or a spouse buying for the other spouse. Also, what makes it a strawman purchase is if you use money that belongs to another to purchase a gun in your name to give to them.

3/325
10-01-2008, 17:07
I went to the blog in your sig line and clicked on the large image with "debunk" over a rippling American flag. I was redirected to something called "MyWackoSpace" that started tripping alarms from my anti-virus software.

Just thought you should know.

Chase7
11-06-2008, 15:30
Nice work!
Here's another Good vid on how Gun Control doesn't work(might want to add it to the collection) :) ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR9RN_iSKtg

MoCop
12-19-2008, 16:11
Good job!!

John R
03-13-2009, 16:17
******* brady

:yourock:

Thrillhouse700
02-15-2010, 09:49
I wanna start the grady campaign..................

We need more control on triple layered chocolate cake so Rosie won't be fat.
Who's with me!!!! We need an uneducated politician to back us!!!!
Im gunna start making the signs and poster boards.

Really good 20/20 video btw. I like the part with the brothas in jail, it pretty much tells the entire story.

DerekMK23
06-03-2011, 08:25
I recently went on the brady website to see what their arguments are they have a tribute to fallen police offices who have be killed "due to firearms". Heres the stupid part, they include Mexico. They inflate numbers whith suicides, police related shootings, and accidental shootings. Liars is what they are.

eracer
06-03-2011, 08:41
The Brady Bunch: There are more gun crimes in this place, so we need more gun control laws.

Rational People: There are more gun crimes in this place, so we need more criminal control.