Subaru feedback [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Subaru feedback

cessnastud
04-02-2007, 17:24
Hey guys,

I am in the market for a new car and epsylum's post about his Legacy LTD got my wheels turning. My family used to have an '88 GL wagon and it was a pretty decent car. I was wondering how the newer Subarus compared to other imports (i.e. Honda, Toyota...) in regards to reliability and gas mileage.

My truck is on her last legs and fuel economy has become a big selling point for me. I'm getting pretty tired of $50-$60 fill-ups, but I'll miss the utility. Guess you can't have your cake and eat it too. Thanks for any feedback.

epsylum
04-03-2007, 21:40
My dad liked my Subie so much he got an '07 Outback a few weeks ago. Gas milage is down from most FWD cars as there is more parasitic loss due to the AWD system. I still get mid 20s mpg around town (almost all city driving). My dad was also sold on them by some friends of his who have had over 200k miles on a few Subarus.

So far I am really pleased with mine and unless something horrible happens will be buying more of them in the future.

IslandHopper
04-03-2007, 22:17
I don't know about long-term reliability issues... but the WRX STi is a hot car at the track. And I'm SURE it'll get better mpg than a truck!

Bushflyr
04-05-2007, 09:23
Originally posted by IslandHopper
I don't know about long-term reliability issues... but the WRX STi is a hot car at the track. And I'm SURE it'll get better mpg than a truck!

Not on the track it won't! :animlol: I get 29mpg on the freeway cruising at 70-75. On the track I get 9mpg. :banana: I only have a tuned WRX though, since they don't make an STi wagon. Reliability is great, and even if something does go wrong it's usually cheap and easy to fix. The boxer engine is pretty bullet proof and Subies are like Lego's, just mix and match the parts you like. Another really good option is the Saab 92x, a WRX wagon in upper crust trim. They were being blown out a couple years back and can still be had cheap.

BanzaiWRX
04-05-2007, 10:17
if you stay stock or don't get too crazy with power mods, subies are very durable.

they are also among the safest cars on the road, especially the foresters and legacys.

Bushflyr
04-05-2007, 19:07
I'm only 60hp or so over stock, so I'm not too worried about longevity. All Subaru's (of a given year) share the same safety features (remember the Lego comment? ;) ) so they're all equally (more or less) safe.

Ron3
04-05-2007, 21:37
Originally posted by Bushflyr
I'm only 60hp or so over stock, so I'm not too worried about longevity. All Subaru's (of a given year) share the same safety features (remember the Lego comment? ;) ) so they're all equally (more or less) safe.

"Only" 60hp above stock?

Sounds like alot! Would you take that on a road course on a warm day?

Ron3

Bushflyr
04-06-2007, 11:11
Originally posted by Ron3
"Only" 60hp above stock?

Sounds like alot! Would you take that on a road course on a warm day?

Ron3

60 isn't that much on a Subie. Cobb claims 285hp on this tune, but I haven't dyno'd it. Most people say the EJ20T will reliably hold 300whp which is roughly 350 at the crank.

I've done 2 HPDE's at Pacific Raceway (formerly SIR) and had a blast both times. On the first day it started to drizzle in the afternoon and the AWD really showed it's stuff. There's nothing like feeling totally comfortable and in control in a 4 wheel drift at 100+ mph on a wet track to make you love your car. As soon as it got damp I completely owned all the RWD and FWD cars. Even in the dry in the AM the ol' Rex rarely got passed. On day 2 I was playing with the big boys and did fair. Pretty much only the dedicated track weapons on slicks were coming by. Street tires were my downfall. Not enough grip to take it to the next level. Also, because of the AWD's tire circumference requirements, directional tread sucks big time on the track. You shred the right front tire and can't rotate it to the left side to even out the wear. After the 2 days both right side tires were done, and I still had tread left on the others.

The only problem I had, along with both other Subies, was IC heat soak. After lunch I gassed up and went back out. Took 1 warm up lap gassed it and promptly threw a CEL. When I pulled back into the pits the 2 others, an 05 WRX and an 05 STi, had both done the same thing. We thought it was maybe bad gas since we had all filled up at the same place. The STi went home and the WRX and I ran into town to find a code puller. My CEL had cleared but the other guy showed a Cylinder 4 Misfire, Scooby speak for det. I figured out what had happened. We had all been running hard then left our hoods closed when we ate lunch. The IC had picked up so much heat that it wasn't cooling the charge properly and cyl 4 which is always the leanest, had pinged a bit. After that we just opened our hoods in the pits and the problem was solved. :banana:

Wow, that was really long. If you read this far, congrats. ;)

BanzaiWRX
04-06-2007, 11:25
if you're in the pacific northwest and want an excellant low cost tune on your subie, or evo for that matter, go check out www.getadomtune.com

Dom is a good friend of mine, former room mate and gun owner.

He tuned my 2.5L with a VF22 to 325hp/400ft-lbs on a mustang dyno back in Va. He knows his stuff.

If you're using an OTS Cobb map, he can find more power in it. I gaurentee it.

An open deck subie block can hold a fair amount of power, just don't say you haven't been warned about slapping a FP green or Red on and trying to make 500 awhp. it ain't going to work.

Talk to Dom, and discuss with him your goals and use of the car, he will not treat you wrong. i promise.

Bushflyr
04-06-2007, 12:16
I checked his site out, does he use OpenECU? Eventually the plan is a VF34, STi TMIC, and alky on an OpenECU tune.

My current specs are attached.

BanzaiWRX
04-06-2007, 12:28
i believe he does use OpenECU.

I can't get your .pdf to open or download. convert that critter to a .doc or .txt

also there is a faq somewhere on his site that tells what he uses to tune cars with.

Bushflyr
04-06-2007, 13:30
Try again, it D/L's fine for me.

Ron3
04-06-2007, 20:40
Thanks for the reply, I didn't know the WRX (non-STI) engine internals were strong enough to handle much more power.

Seems like heat is a much larger issue in anything that isn't NA. Turbos and supercharged engines need every bit of cooling they can get before doing something like open tracking. Plus a conservative, rich tune.

Thanks again!

Ron3

Bushflyr
04-07-2007, 00:29
It's not so much that forced induction engines need every bit of cooling as just avoiding intercooler heat soak. My cooling system is bone stock. The problem with Subaru's is that they put the IC on top of the engine. When you're driving it's no big deal and works great because the air is coming in the scoop and going down through the IC. The problem arises when you pull into the pits and shut down. Then the airflow reverses. The engind puts off a ton of heat and the path of least resistance is through the IC and out the scoop. Your intercooler then becomes an interwarmer, not a happy situation. Just opening the hood provides an easier path for the heat to escape and it becomes a moot point.

IslandHopper
04-09-2007, 20:52
that was informative reading...

I had never put 2 and 2 together... now I know why the STi ' s all pop their hoods as soon as the get to the pits... I generally just walk away from my Miata and get a burger :) ... It's ALWAYS ready to go again! 105 HP baby !!!

Bushflyr
04-09-2007, 21:30
Mmmm, Miata. After 2 days I realised that tracking my daily driver and only car on a regular basis was going to be expensive and risky. If I were to make a habit of track days I would definitely buy a Miata and turbo it. There were 5 daily drivers and 3 track cars that sustained major damage in those 2 days. If I bent my subie I'd be pretty screwed 'till I got it fixed.

ColoradoPacker
04-10-2007, 01:24
You guys make me wish I still had my 2004 STi, but I had to get a Subaru B9 tribeca to car pool 6 kids at 3 different schools starting last fall (only half the kids are mine).

I had logged 36,000 miles in 36 months with the STi, and the only damage was a tweaked rear diff bracket after a 70mph off road blast through the mountains once. I managed to get 35,000 miles out of the brembo brake pads, but only about 18,000 miles from the original tires
:banana:

Now, my 2000 Impreza RS was hotrodded to he!! after startng at 165hp (98 at the wheels at 6,000 feet) and after I'd gotten it to 240hp with an aftermarket turbo I took out the 5 speed tranny (170hp at the wheels on the dyno). Rebuilt it and got it to 300hp (233hp at the wheels) and took out two more transmissions, one a $3,000 high power gear set. I then blueprinted it with hotter cams, huger turbo, air water intercooler, 3" downpipe, added a second ECU with 8 fuel injectors total (4-cyl), blah blah. That 500hp 8,000 rpm motor took out my final high power transmission, blowing the only stock parts left - ring and pinon and 5th gear). Then while converting it over to an automatic transmission from a Japanese STi forester it ended up with only 3rd gear.

My wife made me downgrade to the STi and it was soooo perfect that I left it 100% stock (except for a Cobb reflashed ECU). When subaru has a turbo'd 7-passenger vehicle my wife is gonna kill me when I have to trade this 250hp non-turbo in for one.