Good Gun Stores in Brandon Florida area? (near Tampa) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Good Gun Stores in Brandon Florida area? (near Tampa)

pctechglock
04-03-2007, 09:21
Hi All,

I'm going to be visiting family in Brandon, Florida during easter weekend and would like to check out a few gun stores while I'm down there. Can anyone recommended a few good ones? I would also consider going to stores in Tampa as well.

Thanks,

James

MP1SG
04-03-2007, 21:17
Go to Shoot Straight. It is on US 301 & MLK near the Fair Grounds. It's new and has only been there for about a month. It has a big selection and range too.

brownmajik
04-06-2007, 19:17
-For excellent service / installation / Duracoat , go to Knights in Pinellas Park. Talk to Mark the Israeli.
-For cheap range prices, shoot at Shooting Sports on Dale Mabry.
-For cheap ammo, go to the new Dicks at Brandon Mall.
-For good selection of firearms, go to University Gun on Fletcher

pctechglock
04-06-2007, 21:18
Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen the "Shoot Straight" crew at several Florida gun shows and have not been impressed. I'll check out several of the other places mentioned.

Another one suggested to me was 2nd Amendment Armory... Anyone familiar with this store?

Thanks,

James

brownmajik
04-07-2007, 06:43
2nd Amendment Armory is nice, decent prices and good product knowledge. Sometimes their selection is thin, but they can get anything you need. Another good spot for accessories and sometimes a decent deal on a weapon is Patriot Arms.

MP1SG
04-07-2007, 20:41
To each his own, they always treat me pretty good at the Tampa store. I think the gun show guys travel the gun shows. The guys at the Tampa Store don't work the gun shows.

As far as prices, if you pay what any gun shop is asking for a gun you are a fool. Most shops list the MSRP, and people pay it. I sure don't. I went into Patriot Arms once and never went back. High prices and poor customer service, I too took my money elsewhere.

I've been to gun shops all over the bay area and have good and bad experiences. I think it comes down to the individuals working, just like every other walk of life.

legion3
04-08-2007, 05:11
Shoot Straight's store prices are way high but their gunshow deals often can't be beat + they will likely have it...

Knights has a good selection but often way overpriced

There is another store in Largo Kastle Keep? - good prices on some items and crazy prices on others

Patriot Arms is way overpriced ($700 Glocks) but the Glock Armorer there is a good guy

University is OK price wise...great selection of dreaded black rifles

there is another small store over by the RayJay Stadium and his prices are pretty good...can't think of the name

Freedom outfitters in Plant City

And of course several stors in Lakeland

poison7fl
04-08-2007, 06:31
I get many of my guns at galleryofguns.com and have them delivered to a dealer of your choice. They often can't be beat by anyone local. I was just quoted $675 out the door for a Glock 23 at a local dealer, I got it on GOG for $550 Shipped, including transfer fees.

:banana:

Shoot straight is a no no. HIGH prices.

MP1SG
04-08-2007, 07:37
Originally posted by poison7fl
I get many of my guns at galleryofguns.com and have them delivered to a dealer of your choice. They often can't be beat by anyone local. I was just quoted $675 out the door for a Glock 23 at a local dealer, I got it on GOG for $550 Shipped, including transfer fees.

:banana:

Shoot straight is a no no. HIGH prices.

$675? WOW, did it come with a life time supply of bullets? The MSRP is only $599 for the straight 23. Surely the $675 G23 must have come with a Crimson Trace.

Dude, you should have went to Shoot Straight's grand opening sale last weekend, I got a G23 for $490 + tax. There are deals to be found all over, it's just a matter of stubling on them.

poison7fl
04-08-2007, 07:42
Originally posted by MP1SG
$675? WOW, did it come with a life time supply of bullets? The MSRP is only $599 for the straight 23. Surely the $675 G23 must have come with a Crimson Trace.

Dude, you should have went to Shoot Straight's grand opening sale last weekend, I got a G23 for $490 + tax. There are deals to be found all over, it's just a matter of stubling on them.

It was straight stock, not even night sights...The kicker was that they told me that they would sell me the glock at 15% over cost... Apparently they are getting ripped, I understand cost to be around $375-400 for dealers.

MP1SG
04-08-2007, 08:43
Originally posted by poison7fl
It was straight stock, not even night sights...The kicker was that they told me that they would sell me the glock at 15% over cost... Apparently they are getting ripped, I understand cost to be around $375-400 for dealers.

That is crazy! I don't know how they stay in business. I think dealer cost is about $430 - $450 now days. I bought a G17 a couple of years ago NIB for $459 w/high caps, don't know if it was a special deal or what. It seems as if gun prices over the past 1 1/2 years have really jumped.

40HST
04-08-2007, 17:34
Shoot Straight gunshow people are a bunch of punks. I asked to see if the guy could "unchain" a Kahr PM9 and a Glock 39 so I could feel them and compare them side by side. He started to do it and then stopped and said "No, I can't. My boss is being a jackass today and if he see's me carrying a gun from the front of the area to over here he'd have a fit". And then the guy walked off. I didn't have a chance to ask any questions or deal on the PM9. So I wait and get another guy - young punk on a Segway (darker skinned like mexican - didn't catch his name) and I asked what the best price he could offer on the PM9. He asked what I wanted for it. I said $525 (1st offer) - he said cost is $550 and he sped off! Rudest people ever!

Patriot Arms is a rip-off - waaay overpriced and they charge $60-$65 transfer fee!

The Brandon area could use a good gun shop as many people as they have out there now.

I have used University Gun and Pawn - they have a big selection and good prices. Their customer service is sketchy at times. Bad problems reported in 2002 when the owner, Charlie, lost a lawsuit about selling a stolen full auto upper to a guy wanting an AR15 upper. I guess if you have a CCW and can walk out with it - then go for it. A friend that has bought over 40 firearms with them got attitude when wanting to talk to Charlie. He will never do business with them again. He recommends OrdnanceOutsellers.com as he has great luck with them.

MP1SG
04-09-2007, 13:33
Speaking of rudeness and being a general gun shop A Hole. There is a gun shop in Pinellas County (I won't give the name, since others my not have had problems)that I have bought many guns from and sent many friends and co-worker to their shop. Anyway, one of my friends that was a repeat buyer from the shop goes in to pick up his gun and the guy behind the counter becomes a total ass and causes a scene. I asked this same guy (who was new at the time) about ordering me a custom gun and a production gun that was not so easy to find. Never heard from him. I haven't bought anything from that shop in over two years. I assume since I didn't hear back from him they no longer needed my business.

As far as Shoot Straight, I agree the gun show guys are not the best, but I was suprised with the Tampa guys that run that shop. They are pretty friendly and helpful.

brownmajik
04-10-2007, 17:45
Originally posted by legion3

there is another small store over by the RayJay Stadium and his prices are pretty good...can't think of the name

Central is the name of the place near RayJay. They share buildings with the Corvette specialty shop there. They have decent prices, but not much to choose from. I actually saw a new in box Kel Tec pf9 in there for $281.00, though. Thats a difficult gun to find sometimes and for that price, I shoulda bought it. Needed $281.00 at the time, though...lol.

brownmajik
04-10-2007, 18:00
If anyone needs service done on a glock (or other firearm for that matter), I had a GREAT experience with Mark at Knights in Pinellas Park. Very knowledgable.

turbodude26
04-13-2007, 17:38
I also vote for 2nd amendment armory really really nice folks there Terry and Mike will do you right. They are some of the coolest people around. Small shop, but definately customer friendly.

ZBoater
04-13-2007, 21:51
Originally posted by turbodude26
I also vote for 2nd amendment armory really really nice folks there Terry and Mike will do you right. They are some of the coolest people around. Small shop, but definately customer friendly.

Another big :thumbsup: for the folks at 2nd Amendment. That's where I get my stuff. If they don't have it, they'll find it, they do FFL transfers with no hassle and are very friendly.

:rock:

m1garande
04-14-2007, 21:22
Anybody been to The Gun Store in saint cloud?

MP1SG
04-15-2007, 14:18
Nope, too far away from here.

stang1
04-17-2007, 00:18
I have been doing most of my business at Freedom Outfitters in Plant City. They have most Glocks @ $540 + tax. As for transfer fees, they only charge $25 per item + the $5 background check fee.:laughabove:

South Fla
04-20-2007, 01:56
.././..

Bucky69
04-21-2007, 12:42
Holy cow! With all the problems with gun shops in the Tampa area, if I was you I would drive to Buck's Gun Rack in Daytona.

Leathercrafter
04-21-2007, 16:51
I do a lot of business with Deer Hunter Guns in Clearwater. Some of the ones mentioned here leave a lot to be desired with respect to customer service, and I've been to/done business (both personal and professional) with nearly all of them.

MP1SG
04-21-2007, 17:29
Originally posted by Bucky69
Holy cow! With all the problems with gun shops in the Tampa area, if I was you I would drive to Buck's Gun Rack in Daytona.
I wouldn't base an opinion on the few opinions listed here. I bet someone is pissed of at Buck's for some reason. Sometimes the customer is an unreasonable a-hole.

pctechglock
04-21-2007, 17:51
Wow, seeing how much attention this thread has drawn I figured I should follow up on my original post. I visited three different stores during Easter weekend while I was in the Brandon Area.

I started out with 2nd Amendment Armory which was a nice, albeit small store with friendly staff but a very limited selection. They did say that they could order anything I was interested in. Very good ammo selection. This was my favorite store of the three.

University Gun & Pawn was the second place I visited. Overall, I wasn't impressed with this one. Mostly well used pistols and revolvers in their display case at expensive prices. The staff didn't come across as very friendly or helpful in my opinion.

The last place I visited was Patriot Arms. Smaller selection and friendly staff, but prices were _VERY_ high. They had several Glock pistols marked at $100 over retail. Decent selection of accessories and some reloading items. Don't care for their policy of "no loaded firearms, including concealed carry" in the store.

Overall, I can't say that I was overly impressed with any of the three and wouldn't drive any distance to go back unless I was already in the area.

James

tampagolckluver
04-26-2007, 04:32
tom is good people i have bought seviral guns from them and recive exelant service i would rather pay a little more and get good service

G31
05-03-2007, 20:14
Kastle Keep has decent stuff and prices, but they lost my business about 3 years ago. I went in with a friend and he picked out a Glock 19 that he liked. He filled out the paperwork and was ready to buy, but forgot his credit card. We dashed home to get it and returned only to find that the guy behind the counter "changed his mind" about selling it and decided to keep it for himself. IMO, that is a bunch of BS.

We ran up the road to Deer Hunter and got the same gun for less money.

South Fla
05-03-2007, 20:38
.././..

40HST
05-14-2007, 16:14
Originally posted by so_fla
I drove all the way to Patriot Arms in Brandon from Maderia Beach (80 miles round trip) after hearing how great it was on the radio. I had about $1,000 in my pocket to buy a new Glock, ammo and a holster. I was basically ignored the whole time I was in there. But when some HCSO guys came in, they perked up and were falling over themselves to help them. I walked out and didn't spend a dime and I will never go back.

I hope their BSing with those HCSO guys who didn't buy a thing was worth loosing a $1,000 sale and all the bad-mouthing I can give them.

I went to Kastle Keep on Ulmerton Rd. and bought my G21 and it was there the next afternoon for pickup.

Patriot Arms is waaay overpriced - you did yourself a favor by not buying from them anyway.

40HST
05-14-2007, 16:20
Originally posted by pctechglock
Wow, seeing how much attention this thread has drawn I figured I should follow up on my original post. I visited three different stores during Easter weekend while I was in the Brandon Area.

I started out with 2nd Amendment Armory which was a nice, albeit small store with friendly staff but a very limited selection. They did say that they could order anything I was interested in. Very good ammo selection. This was my favorite store of the three.

University Gun & Pawn was the second place I visited. Overall, I wasn't impressed with this one. Mostly well used pistols and revolvers in their display case at expensive prices. The staff didn't come across as very friendly or helpful in my opinion.

The last place I visited was Patriot Arms. Smaller selection and friendly staff, but prices were _VERY_ high. They had several Glock pistols marked at $100 over retail. Decent selection of accessories and some reloading items. Don't care for their policy of "no loaded firearms, including concealed carry" in the store.

Overall, I can't say that I was overly impressed with any of the three and wouldn't drive any distance to go back unless I was already in the area.

James

If you go to University Gun and Pawn when their display case is full, (i.e. they aren't heading out to a Gun Show), they have a decent selection. They have HKs, Sigs, Glocks, Bedetta, Kel-Tec, and Walther to name a few. They also have AR15's and Barret 50 cals. Customer Service isn't so hot, and you can bargain on their prices a little. I just like stopping by to see the wide variety. Although Shoot Straight has the largest selection without a doubt that I have come across in the Bay area. Just way overpriced.

MP1SG
05-14-2007, 20:34
Originally posted by 40HST
Although Shoot Straight has the largest selection without a doubt that I have come across in the Bay area. Just way overpriced.

Ya gotta haggle.

ekoenig
06-07-2007, 12:37
I'm looking to pick up a new G26. Any thoughts about what price range is acceptable or where I should go? I was thinking of checking out the gun show this weekend. Your thoughts?

Thank you in advance

Eric

ZBoater
06-07-2007, 14:50
You can catch Shoot Straight at the gun show and get decent deals without haggling too much. I paid $500 OTD for my G26.

GotGlock19
06-09-2007, 13:38
Kastle Keep has the best prices on Gold Dot 50 round boxes i have seen, 26 bucks for 50 when Knights charges almost 21 bucks for 20. There prices on guns are reasonable as well.

ekoenig
06-11-2007, 05:06
Shoot Straight gave me a pretty good deal and was extremely helpful.

Eric

Passafist
06-14-2007, 21:32
The guys at Shoot Straight are top notch. (The guys in the store ARE NOT the guys at the shows. Segways, give me a friggin break) I found that I get excellent deals from them at the gun shows but not in the store. Same for ammo, I buy it at the gun show.

I'm looking at purchasing an FNH .308 PBR and the store has it for $1,100.00 but they offered it to me at the gun show for $875.00.

I shoot at the store. It cost me 93 cents to shoot at their range (With a membership).

I'm going to hit us some of the others mentioned here, especially Dick's Sporting Goods. I haven't been to Knight's since before the customer shot the soda machine.

Passafist
06-15-2007, 21:58
Went to Dick's Sporting goods looking for .357 Sig rounds...NONE! Asked about .40S&W rounds...NONE!

At least they did have the Gambler Ugly Otter bass fishing lures I've been looking for.

Final say...they're not worth my time.

Mighty HD
06-17-2007, 19:20
Patriot arms? They can lick the sweat out of the camel toe of my salty ball bag.
HIGH prices, ignored with a wad of cash in my pocket, and when I did inquire about a weapon they were pricks. Screw them.

2nd Amendment? A+ folks. Small selection but will do ANYTHING to help you. Wonderful people.

Shoot Straight? Killer range! I will only deal with one person there. I am usually taken care of pretty well.

University is pretty good

There's a few others but the ones mentioned above I feel are worth saying..

ekoenig
06-18-2007, 05:19
Now that I've got the weapon, can anyone point me to a place where I can pick up some Speer Gold Dots for 9mm without getting ripped off? I tried Dick's and Walmart here in Tampa to no avail.

ZBoater
06-18-2007, 06:30
Originally posted by ekoenig
Now that I've got the weapon, can anyone point me to a place where I can pick up some Speer Gold Dots for 9mm without getting ripped off? I tried Dick's and Walmart here in Tampa to no avail.

The best deal for ammo I've found is online. Mostly Sportsmansguide.com, and sometimes ammoman.com. Even with shipping its been cheaper for name brand ammo. You can always check out Walmart for Winchester deals.

richhermes
06-18-2007, 08:04
Originally posted by ZBoater
The best deal for ammo I've found is online. Mostly Sportsmansguide.com, and sometimes ammoman.com. Even with shipping its been cheaper for name brand ammo. You can always check out Walmart for Winchester deals.

Lately, AIM Surplus has come in a few dollars cheaper than ammoman on 9mm, once you figure in shipping.