Miami U. Conservative Week [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Miami U. Conservative Week

nehpets99
04-05-2007, 15:41
I'm a student at Miami University (the one in Ohio, otherwise why would I post this on the Ohio forum??) and next week College Republicans are holding their annual Conservative Week. Next Wed. is their 2nd Amendment/Gun Rights Day, and what sort of pro-gun, educational, "look at me I'm a responsible gun owner" activities do they have planned?

Giving away small water guns and raffling off bigger ones.

Needless to say I sent them an email chastising them for their choice of activities, and I promise it had nothing to do with me being a liberal (who supports guns 100%).

firedog978
04-06-2007, 04:59
Please enlighten me. What part of their activities are you against?
Is the raffle legal? I suspect it is or it would have been stopped when it was announced. Any winner would still have to meet the legalities and steps to take ownership. Many clubs and/or groups raffle off firearms.
Are you offended that they have dedicated a week to Republican awareness?
What has you upset?

nehpets99
04-06-2007, 06:11
everything's legal (they're raffling off/giving away squirt guns, not the real things...hell if it was the real things i wouldn't be complaining but signing up!) and college democrats usually get a liberal week (i think). my letter to them stated that i failed to see what squirt guns and toys had to do with responsible owning of the real things and that a day dedicated to gun rights could've been better spent trying to register people for the NRA, having an open carry event (off campus, of course), or making people aware of HR1022. the college republican president emailed me back saying that the toys are just fun mementos and that they also hand out brochures about safe firearm ownership. the only info students are having about wed. is that they're giving out squirt guns, it's not "Wed. - 2A/Gun Rights Day - Learn about responsible gun ownership" or something.

Brian Dover
04-10-2007, 07:09
Just might have to stop up in Oxford tomorrow and look at the young eye cand....I mean, sign up for one of the squirt guns. :banana:

Nephets, can ya tell me where in town the Repub group is doing its thing? (Here in the thread or PM, whatever works) In all seriousness, friend of mine has property near by that we shoot on sometimes. Might be a good day for me to bust a rifle out of the safe and go shootin'. Then traipse into Oxford for lunch and a looksee at what the youngsters are doing with their 'Second Amendment Day' activities.

anyplainjoe
04-10-2007, 10:24
I think there are better ways of expressing the need for the 2A than this raffle.

nehpets99
04-10-2007, 10:37
reply from the chairman of miami's college republicans:

Stephen,

I was forwarded the e-mail you sent...regarding your disgust for our choice of events. First off, I would like to thank you for the e-mail and concern. America needs more informed citizens such as yourself with respect to gun ownership.

That being said, our Right to Bear Arms Day, as it has been in the past, consists of several activities. We hand our squirt guns to give students a memorable souvenir from what we consider to be an informative day. We consider it to be an informative day because along with these squirt guns, we hand out information about responsible gun ownership. Included in these handouts are also facts that dispel many myths regarding gun ownership. In previous years, we have also had information on how to register with the NRA and Buckeye Firearm Association. We plan on doing just that this year also.

Our entire goal of Conservative Week is to inform students of conservative values and current events. Often times we do so by passing out information, along with a fun souvenir. We have experienced great success doing so in the past.

Hope to see you next week!

Kindest regards,

[the chairman]

anyplainjoe
04-10-2007, 12:02
So pass out toy guns to uses on eachother then register for PACs? How about some info on why the 2A is important?

nehpets99
04-10-2007, 12:25
haha we could get a contingent of SW ohioans to bring our info and 1-up the college republicans.

if only i didn't have 4 hours worth of class tomorrow...