Help out "new" bass fisher. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help out "new" bass fisher.

Usingmyrights
04-05-2007, 18:21
I've fished for a long time now, but nothing serious. Usuallt go for cats, or brim. If I wanted to get a bass I'd go catch some crickets or minnows. Well tonight I decided to actually try an artifial, and really try. I got alot of hits, but only landed one. I got two good sized ones, but when they jumped I lost them. So whats the secret to keeping them on the hook when they start jumping? They're not grabbing the bait hard enough to tell the difference between them just testing it or actually taking it, so judging on when to set is kinda hard. I'm fishing on a small lake for large mouth. So far I've only fished a spinner late this morning with nothing at all, and a simple worm this evening. I saw these little "rattlers" to put slip into the worms. Do these work or are they a waste of money.

THEPOPE
04-05-2007, 21:43
You seem to be on the right track, bud.

Use a bait until you get proficient at the presentation, or have enough hits on it to give you confidence in the use of that bait.

I did that with spinner-baits, some years ago, didn't do very good at first, but one day, when the conditions were just right, I caught and released over 25 bass, learned a lot, then moved on to the next bait I wanted to learn. In the meantime, when the bass are not cooperating, I was learning how to cast and retrieve this bait. No time was waisted.

Did same when I turned my attention to rubber worms, rigged " Texas" style.

A couple years ago, I decided, out of the blue, it was time to learn " jig-n-pig".....now I use these all the time, and am quite proficient at all of them...I will out-fish the pro's on my favorite lakes...no brag, just fact.

It takes a commitment to the time and effort to learn proper technique, and the subtle presentations of a particular lure, you won't regret the time spent, when everything finally comes together.

I never, ever use live bait, the fish swallow it too deeply for release, most times, so I only use artificials, and I don't like keeping live bait, well, ALIVE....

Yes, rattles work, especially in muddy or dingy water, and I always use jigs with rattles, I trust them.

I use Stanley Wedge spinner-baits, in the small size, willow leaf blades, strictly, as said, I have confidence in those, so I use them a lot.

The jigs I prefer are also made by Stanley, Rattlin' Jigs, in the 5/16 ounce size, perfect jigs, in my opinion.

When using jigs, I trailer them with Zoom plastic " Big Salty Chunk".

Lesson one is over, enjoy, now go forth and multiply your catch....

ime out ;)

Usingmyrights
04-05-2007, 21:51
The one I actually landed was a tiny largemouth, probably just over a pound. The other two, based on fish sizes/weights that I've seen were probably about 5 or 6 for the first and about 3 or 4 for the second. Not big by any means. But a good size for the lake I was fishing, and alot better then the first one. Just wish I had landed them.

mossy500camo
04-06-2007, 08:53
I went Crappie fishing this past Sat. But....I was catching 1-2 pound Bass with Crappie jigs.;) They really liked the 'Crappie Assassin' soft plastic shad, and the white Bucktail jig. I was just bouncing them off the the bottom, reeling them in slow/fast, in shallow water. My setup was as follows. Not my Bass rig at all. But it worked. Zebco 11 Micro reel and rod combo, Stren 4lb test, and crappie jigs. As you can tell, I really wasnt after the Bass. But they were taking my bait every cast.:shocked: :thumbsup: VERY FUN!

Brass Nazi
04-08-2007, 13:16
I love to Bass fish and I spend the majority of that time using a plastic worm. I like Culprit red shad and blue shad. When worm fishing there are two pieces of equipment that are crictical IMO, good hooks and good line. I think that you can catch bass everywhere if you learn to fish a plastic worm correctly.

T-Dubb
04-23-2007, 21:33
" So whats the secret to keeping them on the hook when they start jumping?"

the best way for me atleast to not lose a fish when they jump is put the tip of your rod down when they first start to break the water

"They're not grabbing the bait hard enough to tell the difference between them just testing it or actually taking it, so judging on when to set is kinda hard. "

another thing with bass.......dont be scared to really hammer them on the hook set. they arnt like brim or crappie where you will rip thier lips. with bass you wanna really get after them on the hook set

a trailer hook will help on that spinner bait if they are just short striking it also.

Usingmyrights
04-23-2007, 21:42
Originally posted by T-Dubb

the best way for me atleast to not lose a fish when they jump is put the tip of your rod down when they first start to break the water

"They're not grabbing the bait hard enough to tell the difference between them just testing it or actually taking it, so judging on when to set is kinda hard. "

another thing with bass.......dont be scared to really hammer them on the hook set. they arnt like brim or crappie where you will rip thier lips. with bass you wanna really get after them on the hook set

a trailer hook will help on that spinner bait if they are just short striking it also.

I have hammered a hookset a few times and could tell right away I pulled it out of their mouth. There's also been probably about a 1/2 dozen times a fingerling hit it and those like 1 lb bass go airborn halfway to the boat when I set the hook.

I lost one real nice on a few days ago by letting my friend talk me into setting the drag real low to have more of a fight, since I've actually been doing pretty well since my first post about catching them. I was reeling as fast as I could and he kept taking the line back out. Saw how nice he was when he jumped, fought him another few seconds and he got off. As mentioned I have been doing better though. Got 6 or 7 last night. Usually they're just a few lbs, but I am on a small lake. I'm hoping to fish one of the local creeks her in the next few weeks.

noway
04-23-2007, 21:58
{" So whats the secret to keeping them on the hook when they start jumping?"

a trailer hook will help on that spinner bait if they are just short striking it also.}

Best advice given so far.

A lot of crappie fisherman thinking the setting of the hook is a soft action with the bass, papermouths ( crappie ) and bluegill species need this caution, but the largemouth or smal mouth doesn't have this concern.

Other things, with a worm a bass normally doesn't attack it like any of fish like bait or jig or item simulating a fish. Since a a bass knows a worm can't swim away with any speed, it doesn't devour the worm immediately.

So if your artificials are worm, you need patience and need experience to know when lg mouth actually has the worm in it's big mouth ;)

as far the rattles, they don't hurt and can help. Is the cost a big importance to you? I also reccommend the rattle carolina/tx rig jig sticks that ha sa weight stick that rattle some what and you can use a suspending a bait and slooooooooooowly retrieve this worm, and the natural bouncing of the rattle stick along the bottom does the same the worm inserts. Beadvise , if you use my later , us a lower lb line between the bait and rattle stick and if you fish trashy bottoms , avoid it all together.

The rattle sticks cost about $4.00-$6.00 and are available at most wal-mart/basspros.

T-Dubb
04-24-2007, 17:19
I think you are talkin about fishing the rubber worm when you say your pulling it out of thier mouth with the hookset? if thats the case, most likely it was a tiny bass or bluegill grabbin your worm. most times when bass hit a rubber worm they just kinda flex their gills an inhale the whole worm. most times it wont pull out of thier mouth. an for me when I fish a rubber worm, to know when the fish is on the bait is kinda hard to explain, but you can most times see your line jump an feel a small dink dink in the line. I try an always keep my fingers on the line, an usually use 8 pound test, stren original becuase it is really limp an has low memory from the reel.

I am not kiddin on the hookset though, watch some bass fishing on tv sometime. them guys bout throw themselfs backwards out the boat when they set a hook.

you should give one of these a try in your pond..I have always had very good luck with them in a red color an crawdad pattern

http://image.basspro.com/images/images2/82000/82114a.jpg

Usingmyrights
04-24-2007, 20:21
you should give one of these a try in your pond..I have always had very good luck with them in a red color an crawdad pattern

http://image.basspro.com/images/images2/82000/82114a.jpg

I've been wanting to try some other lures. Hoepfully catch some bigger fish, or atlteast eliminate some of the smaller ones. Also want to try to keep from "overfishing" the worm if that makes any since. I don't want to use the same bait too much, since I'm sure they'll start to wise up a little. Right now I'm rotating between 3 different worms. The two I've had the best luck with were either walmart or kmart warms, and I haven't been able to find any more since I bought these years ago. Found some that were the same design and the color looks decent, but its not flavored, or "slime coated".

T-Dubb
04-24-2007, 20:51
try www.basspro.com

they have just about everything for fishing.

another great lure to mix in there is a tube jig. you said somthin about fishin a river too? smallmouth love tube jigs if there are smallies in your river. I use mine texas rigged.

mossy500camo
04-29-2007, 14:54

I'm just the opposite. I bring my rod tip up and try to keep the line tight. But... that's just me. I have had luck so far.