Pro's and con's of joining USMC?? (LONG) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pro's and con's of joining USMC?? (LONG)

Glockguy82
04-05-2007, 20:33
Hi guys. I hope this type of thread is posted in the right place, and is permissable. Ok, This is directed to guys who have served all the branches of the military, but I'm particularly interested in becoming a Marine reserve. (So I can start applying to Police Dept's now, not when I'm 30.) My father was a Marine, and that means alot to me, that's why I chose the Marines. Anyways, I'm obviously going to take your replies with a grain of salt, as ultimately this is a huge decision, that "I" have to make, but I want opinions from those who have been there and done that.

Anyways, I'm 25 years old, working a part time job at a local gun store. I'm also an MMA fighter. I don't want to go back to School. I want to become a Police Officer in the future, and joining the military gives you additional points on Civil Service Exams, as well as giving me experience that Departments respect, and look for in candidates. These are my main reasons for wanting to join, honestly. I'd love to be able to say I served my country, but I don't want to go to war. I would if I had to, obviously.

My dilemmas are, I'd have to leave my girlfriend of 4 years behind. We've been living together the whole time, so I'm extremely attached. I know this is something that alot of Military worry about. But, it would make for a happier and successful long run for us. I'm really close with my Mother too, who lives 6 miles from me.

I can go through a local Police Academy, and go that route to apply for jobs. With that, I won't have the experience I'd have in the Military to offer though. Plus, I'll be honest, I'm looking forward to all the tactical training, learning to shoot the Marine way, and challenging myself in ways, like never before! :banana: That's like being on a damn S.W.A.T TEAM!

Questions:
In my position, what would most of you do?

Have any of you been in a similar position?

I know the Marines are going to war left and right, but what about reserves?

Am I going to be an old fart compared to most guys in boot camp?

Sorry about the length, and thanks for your replies.

geminicricket
04-05-2007, 20:51
Go ahead and join the Marine Reserve. You may keep your plan. You may change your plan. You will never change your desire. Your desire is to join the Marines. Your girlfriend will either wait for you or prove herself unfit for you. Or maybe enlist with you.

My niece's husband came home one day and announced that he had joined the Marines. She waited. Time flew. He finished his term of service. They have 4 kids and are doing ok.

All that other stuff you presented as obstacles ... Marines overcome obstacles.

Grim Jackal
04-05-2007, 21:26
Well, age is not really a factor at 25 years old. You will be one of the older guys there, but probably not the oldest.

As for your girlfriend, we all make choices in life, if you trust her, and she supports you, it's a non-issue. If, for some reason you or her stray during the time spent apart, well then it wasn't meant to be.

As for your attachment to your Mom, I left home for bootcamp out of high school, I live in another state and I fly her out at Christmas, but living six miles from her, well, to each his own.

As far as Military Service for Police Departments, yes most do look at it favorably. But, it's not the deciding factor. Actually, most police departments right now are having problems with recruitment because most of the persons they hire are in the service, so by not going you may have a leg-up.

I will say this though, if you decide to join the service while this country is at war, you had best have your head in the game, because reserve right now doesn't mean 1 weekend a month and two weeks a year. Most of my friends in reserve are deployed at minimum 4 months up to 12 months at a time about a year apart or so.

I'm sure you'll figure out what is best for you, your girlfriend and your mom. This is my no non-sense feel good answer, take it or leave it. But in the end, do what makes you happy.

I'm glad I served, but join because you want to, for no other reason than that. IMHO, there are no "It will look good on a resume" reasons to join, either your heart is in it 100%, or find a local job, because the military is a way of life while your in, not a 9-5.

Semper FI

Glockguy82
04-05-2007, 22:55
Originally posted by Grim Jackal
Well, age is not really a factor at 25 years old. You will be one of the older guys there, but probably not the oldest.

As for your girlfriend, we all make choices in life, if you trust her, and she supports you, it's a non-issue. If, for some reason you or her stray during the time spent apart, well then it wasn't meant to be.

As for your attachment to your Mom, I left home for bootcamp out of high school, I live in another state and I fly her out at Christmas, but living six miles from her, well, to each his own.

As far as Military Service for Police Departments, yes most do look at it favorably. But, it's not the deciding factor. Actually, most police departments right now are having problems with recruitment because most of the persons they hire are in the service, so by not going you may have a leg-up.

I will say this though, if you decide to join the service while this country is at war, you had best have your head in the game, because reserve right now doesn't mean 1 weekend a month and two weeks a year. Most of my friends in reserve are deployed at minimum 4 months up to 12 months at a time about a year apart or so.

I'm sure you'll figure out what is best for you, your girlfriend and your mom. This is my no non-sense feel good answer, take it or leave it. But in the end, do what makes you happy.

I'm glad I served, but join because you want to, for no other reason than that. IMHO, there are no "It will look good on a resume" reasons to join, either your heart is in it 100%, or find a local job, because the military is a way of life while your in, not a 9-5.

Semper FI Hey, thanks for the reply. I've been talking about this to my girlfriend for a few months, but just decided that I REALLY want to do this in the last couple weeks. We talked extensively tonight, and I'm comfortable with leaving her. Like you said, if its meant to be, than it'll work out. I'm betting that it will. As for being close to my Mom, its a long story. I see her once a week though, and I like it like that.

The thought to join the Marines has come into my head alot, since I was out of High School. I always talked myself out of it though. Girlfriends, my mom, etc. Now, at 25, I feel I need to get my **** together, and do what's right for ME, not everyone else.

As for the Police situation. There is a Career Expo on the 16th of this Month. Just about all the central Ohio, and vicinity Depts will be there. This will be something that I mention to them as well. There's no doubt that I could get an Officer job without the Corps, but there's alot of things I can take away from that experience. I THINK, but I may have the wrong idea. That's why I'm doing alot of research, in every way I can about this. Including asking opinions on GT. :)

I'm not considering this just for the Resume plus. I like hardcore experiences, that make a man out of you. (Example, My MMA fights.) I want the training, the experience, the pride, the comradery, the excitement, and all the other things that come along with being a Marine. As for war time, well, I don't WANT to go to war, but I know its a risk I'd be taking, or else I wouldn't be considering this. I would fight for my country, and have pride in doing so.

Grim Jackal
04-06-2007, 00:42
"I like hardcore experiences, that make a man out of you. (Example, My MMA fights.) I want the training, the experience, the pride, the comradery, the excitement, and all the other things that come along with being a Marine. As for war time, well, I don't WANT to go to war, but I know its a risk I'd be taking, or else I wouldn't be considering this. I would fight for my country, and have pride in doing so."

Those are all pretty damn good reason, and the right ones. You explained yourself better in this post and seem to have all of the right reasons in mind.

P.S. no one really, deep down, wants to go to war. I served my country, everything that happened during my service was not by my choice; I just answered the call and served with honor, and that's what it's all about. I've been shot at (and missed), but luckily never in a prolonged "War."

Good luck to you, either way, really.

RM
04-07-2007, 16:47
Originally posted by Grim Jackal
P.S. no one really, deep down, wants to go to war. I served my country, everything that happened during my service was not by my choice; I just answered the call and served with honor, and that's what it's all about. I've been shot at (and missed), but luckily never in a prolonged "War."

I kind of have to disagree with you, I think everyone wants to till they are there. About ever Marine I know, wants to go back over just because that is where the action is. Almost all of them have been there at least once, and they know it sucks when they are there, but we all want to go back.

Grim Jackal
04-07-2007, 19:25
"I kind of have to disagree with you, I think everyone wants to till they are there"

RM, that's what I was referring to, it's easy to say you want to be there, but actually wanting to be there once you are there are to different things. Most professional soldiers, etc, want to be battle tested, it comes with the territory, you train, train, train, so you want to do the deed. What I'm saying is, ask someone if they truly, want to go kill another human being, or see their friends and buddies hurt or killed, and most would honestly answer no.

Commarderie, friends, buddies, country are the reasons for what they/we fight. They are strong emotions and bonds, and reasons for wanting to go back.

usmc0341
04-09-2007, 12:06
MY .02,
Having been in the marines and now working as a police officer I'm gonna lean towards enlisting. I work with quite a few guys who still wish they would have went in but for whatever reason didn't. I think it will definitely benefit you when you get out and are job hunting, but like what was pointed out above recruitment is very low right now and you don't need it. It makes the transition to the academy like a cake walk. Im not sure what kind of academy you'll be going to but ours was supposed to be boot campish.....nuttin like Parris Island, but we had a couple pass out the first day. Once you go through Parris Island everything else in life will nevr seem that bad. As far as reserves and not going to war, I work with a Staff Sgt. who is in the reserves who is on his second tour. He was home for roughly 8 months and sent right back so if you can pretty musch guaratee you'll see combat at least once.

Semper Fi! :usmc:

Grim Jackal
04-09-2007, 16:43
usmc0341

Good point about the bootcamp vs academy, didn't even think to compare those two. Yeah, once you go through bootcamp, nothing compares to it.

Ignition
04-10-2007, 11:15
you have mixed feelings while your out here. Some parts of you wants to be deployed and out here kicking it in the dirt/sand. Because its the freaking reason we exsist, we dont exsist for benefits for our rank and file and we sure as hell dont exsist to provide places like 29palms reason to have anyone living within 120 miles.

But at the same token, seeing your friends get hurt/killed out here can tear you up inside.

Honestly for me its just become a giant the grass is always greener on the other side mentality.

I still cant believe that im thinking of extending another 7 months out here.... yut

Chief301
04-13-2007, 08:50
Enlist, no question about it. It will change your whole outlook on life and give you a pride that you have not experienced. As far as the age.........I was a Drill Instructor and in every platoon we had guys older than were smoking the kids,it's a non-issue if you want it. The training will give you a leg up not because of what it is but because of who it makes you. Your girlfriend.......she either is or she ain't and will stay or leave not because you join but because of who she is. If she stays then she was the one for you and if she leaves then you haven't met the right person yet. Mom.......bless her heart, but she only brought you into this world so the Corps could have another Marine.

Now, go ahead and call the recruiter and quit yer namby pamby whining or your gonna bend and thrust :laughabove:

Semper Fi Mac

BicycleDay43
04-18-2007, 09:40
ummmmmmm...........cons? There are no cons to being a part of the Few And The Proud!

ctf1499
04-22-2007, 13:11
well buddy ill tell you what i have endured over the past year or so... I am a former active duty (0311) Marine.. did my 4 years and then "EAS'D"... From there i went to School "ULL" in Lafayette Louisiana.. Earned my BS in CJUS and English... I have no Hang ups as far as my background goes.. and i am having a really tough time getting on with alot of the departments i have applied to. Maybe its because i aimed for state and Federal.. but no of it has really helped me so far... i hate to sound negative but in this world i belive its all in "Who you know" not what you know... I will say i have nothing to say bad about the Marines.. Im very Proud of what i did with them, and i would in fact do it the exact same way if i were 17y/o again...It has given me the confidence and discipline that nothing else could have done for me.. I say join the Marines.. but beware you do have a good chance of joining my brothers in Iraq.. But do not sighn the dotted line if your not willing to take that chance.. With that i hoped i opened your eyes just a little bit... SEMPER FI

pjva04
04-25-2007, 14:00
I wouldn't give the lifelong title of Marine up for anything. I didn't do a lot of gung-ho stuff while I was in, but I did train for it. I also developed a strong understanding of "esprit de corps" and what it really means to trust another with your life and accept the responsibility for another persons life. I don't know how much it will help you get on a Police Dept. At almost 35 y.o. I am applying to my local Sheriff Dept. because it is something I have always wanted to do, so I can say you betta scratch that itch to be a Jarhead before you can't reach it anymore.

The Corps needs more mature guys like you in the ranks. You obviously have discipline and courage to engage in MMA, and with your maturity you could really end up changing a lot of those who will be your peers for the better. Hell, my last duty station had a Lance Corporal who was 10 years older than me when I was a Sergeant. He not only helped keep the younger guys in line, but influenced quite a few of our NCO's positively, as well.

Good luck and Semper Fidelis...BTW, I have heard that the Coast Guard and Air Force are better conduits for LE jobs (especially Federal), but I think that is only a small reason for why you want to join;)