Knob Creek gun range members? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Knob Creek gun range members?

Kentuckian
04-06-2007, 01:23
Just curious if there are any members here, and what you get for the $100 a year membership fee.

The outdoor range I'm currently a member of jacked up their membership fees from $35 to $100 a year, and since I'll have to pay it at either place....I'm curious if Knob Creek would be a better place to spend the money.

Samsondog04
04-06-2007, 01:32
Will they give you a free pass to the machine gun shoot with range membership?:banana:

45gunner
04-06-2007, 03:12
Originally posted by Kentuckian
Just curious if there are any members here, and what you get for the $100 a year membership fee.

The outdoor range I'm currently a member of jacked up their membership fees from $35 to $100 a year, and since I'll have to pay it at either place....I'm curious if Knob Creek would be a better place to spend the money.

You get unlimited shooting time on the main range and a $2.00 discount on the entrance fee to the machine gun shoot.

You can also join the KPDL pistol range($50) and shoot for $5.00 per match.

spork
04-06-2007, 13:56
I am a member and like shooting there. Everyone else has covered the actual benefits already. I would add that I enjoy being able shoot my NFA stuff without being hassled (impossible at some ranges) and doing rapid-fire and multiple target drills with my other firearms (again, not allowed at some other ranges). You can use most anything for a target, as long as you don't leave too much of a mess.

moreammoplz
04-07-2007, 05:19
I was a member, but didn't go out there much so I just pay the $10 per trip. I like going during the week when I do go it isn't as busy.

B+Shooter
04-07-2007, 18:03
I find it more than worth it. Kenny and everbody is great around there, and they aren't strict about targets/weapons. The only issue I ever have is the drive time from my house. There are approx. 3 ranges closer(off the top of my head) but I think it's worth it for the membership. It paid for itself the first two months.

Kentuckian
04-09-2007, 18:35
Guess I'll have to drive up and check the place out.

Thanks. :)

fryeg7
04-09-2007, 21:52
my biggest problem with shooting at knob creek is the percentage of gun noobs that shoot there. i've seen guns get rented to people who didn't even know where to put the magazine, literally. i've had a 'gangsta' point a rented, jammed 1911 straight down the firing line (and right at me) while very unsuccessfully trying to clear it. i 'watch my back' when shooting there. they allow people who simply do not have the knowledge or experience to operate firearms to 'play' there. that makes me nervous.

other than that, kenny and the employees are great and i've given knob creek quite a bit of my business over the years. but, i haven't shot there in quite some time. it's no fun to worry the whole time you're shooting if the guy a couple tables down with his rented firearm is going to shoot you by accident trying to chamber a round . . . .

frye

spork
04-09-2007, 21:59
I know what you are talking about and have witnessed some stupid things, but fortunately not dangerous things. Usually I just have to deal with people shooting my target instead of their own.

If you go inside and tell the staff about dangerous behavior, they will deal with it. I was there once when someone else complained about a shooter's behavior (I didn't see it myself) and the staff was all over the situation.

Houngan
04-10-2007, 05:45
What Greg said, it's a great range, but the customers are pretty iffy. That goes for everywhere, I really can't bring myself to shoot in public any more, folks just don't watch what they're doing. USPSA has spoiled me in that regard.

H.

Houngan
04-10-2007, 05:54
What Greg said, it's a great range, but the customers are pretty iffy. That goes for everywhere, I really can't bring myself to shoot in public any more, folks just don't watch what they're doing. USPSA has spoiled me in that regard.

H.

Houngan
04-10-2007, 05:55
Dangit, somebody delete one of those.

H.

Berretta9
04-10-2007, 07:03
It's not that unusual to be down range changing a target and hear a round go off from some idiot who thought it was o.k. I only shoot there if I want to shoot the rifles, and then I'm worried about my back.

45gunner
04-10-2007, 17:50
Originally posted by Berretta9
It's not that unusual to be down range changing a target and hear a round go off from some idiot who thought it was o.k. I only shoot there if I want to shoot the rifles, and then I'm worried about my back.

Knob Creek has the best outdoor rifle range around this area. 350 yrds.+.

True it is scary sometimes but then so is shooting in indoor ranges that don't have R.O.s

You learn, after a while, to not shoot when the noob is out there.

Open Range is the best indoor Rifle Range around. Clean, Safe and has automated target with a first Class staff. Best of all no wind when sighting rifle in.

fryeg7
04-11-2007, 04:51
can you shoot any caliber rifle at open range? (my 'largest' rifle is a .308)

frye

45gunner
04-11-2007, 05:29
It says on their web site any caliber under 50 bmg. I think you safe.

OpenRange (http://www.openrangesports.com/gunrange/)

Houngan
04-11-2007, 05:47
Originally posted by 45gunner
Knob Creek has the best outdoor rifle range around this area. 350 yrds.+.

Not entirely true, there is this club:

southernindianarifleandpistolclub.com

That goes out to 500 yards, and you're only shooting with club members. Not as "full service" as Knob Creek, but if you're just there for the shooting, it might be what you're looking for.

H.

Berretta9
04-11-2007, 06:47
I've been meaning to look into that place myself.

45gunner
04-11-2007, 15:50
Originally posted by Houngan
Not entirely true, there is this club:

southernindianarifleandpistolclub.com

That goes out to 500 yards, and you're only shooting with club members. Not as "full service" as Knob Creek, but if you're just there for the shooting, it might be what you're looking for.

H.
Thats not exactly around here. It almost 38 miles one way and a 51 minute drive.

Look great to me and its on the same highway a Silver Creek.
It looks to be a little far away. I would have to drive 12 more miles to get there vs Knob Creek

In the URL they show a picture of a range. It looks like maybe 10 people can shoot on it at a time. That seems pretty limiting.

Houngan
04-11-2007, 21:32
Sorry about that, I was talking in terms of distance from downtown Louisville, your mileage may vary.

H.

45gunner
04-11-2007, 22:15
How difficult is it to find a day where all bays are not being used?
Do you know the membership price?

Berretta9
04-12-2007, 08:25
I've driven by it a few times. It's usually empty and you'd have it all to yourself.

Green Hell
04-16-2007, 09:21
I'm not a member but I try to get out there 3-5 times/year in the summer. I work in Louisville so KCR is "kinda" on the way home. I love the fact that, during the day, it's not crowded at all and you can bring all your weapons and blast away.

I do know what some of you are saying above about noobs on the range. You do need to keep your eyes peeled and make sure the FL is SAFE before you go out to maintain your targets.