The biggest legal threat you didn't know you were facing [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The biggest legal threat you didn't know you were facing

KnightOfTheOlde
04-06-2007, 07:33
The biggest legal threat you didn't know you were facing.

By Ken Hanson

Ohio gun owners are well aware of our antiquated, backwards laws relating to gun ownership and usage. One thing area gun owners of every stripe – hunters, clay shooters, handgun shooters, competitive shooters and self-defense advocates – uniformly agree upon is that our laws regulating unloaded transportation of firearms in a motor vehicle have been twisted well beyond the understanding of the average person.

Quite a few gun owners have heard the horror stories - anti-gun jurisdictions arresting people transporting unloaded firearms in a car simply because there was a bullet in the gun case, shotgun shells in the vest next to the gun case or a magazine with ammunition in it somewhere in the range bag.

Most Ohio gun owners don’t realize just how bad it is in Ohio, and won’t know until they get arrested and charged with a felony they had no idea they were committing.

for the full article please visit the BFA website via the provided link. Thanks guys. KOTOC.

http://buckeyefirearms.org/article3646.html

Blitzer
04-06-2007, 08:28
Why am I not surprised? Ohio law has been a major mess for a long time and I was under the unfortunate impression the last revision of the CCW law fixed that issue. Two laws conflict and no one see the problems.

Asshats all. :moonie: :rant: :burn: :steamed: :soap:

anyplainjoe
04-06-2007, 11:23
Thanks Ken. Having you speak at my CCW class was a real education.

JFS
04-06-2007, 15:16
Too much legalise in the law for clarity.
Does this mean that people who have a CC permit in Ohio do not have this same problem?

Thanks
JFS

Catalina
04-06-2007, 19:50
Yes... I think so. :sad:

firedog978
04-07-2007, 05:37
No matter how you cut it, it is confusing.
Having my CC license (Ohio), here's what I do.
On my trips to the range I usually take 3 or 4 handguns. I will normally Carry concealed 1 hg (holstered on my person). Any others are un-loaded, locked in their own seperate containers. All ammo is locked in another seperate container. Since I drive a pickup truck with no bed cover (cap or toneau), all this is on the back seat (extended cab). It's usually in one gun bag to easilly carry to and from truck.
I try to do all that is legal. I assume this is? Anytime I have a hg in this vehicle that I am not carrying (legally) concealed, it's transported in this manner.

JFS
04-07-2007, 18:39
KOTOC,
Can you verify for us that if we have an Ohio CCH we are exempt from the situation that you highlighted above?

Thanks,
JFS

KnightOfTheOlde
04-08-2007, 00:36
This is not legal advice, just opinion.

The going opinion is it's all a real gray area waiting for a test case. There's no solid answer. Basically a CHL holder would be fine/perhaps best off to have handguns loaded, and carried in one of the manners listed in 347, at least that's how I understood it.

long guns still need to be unloaded and carried separate from ammo. It's probably best to keep doing what we have in the past for now. lock long guns in the trunk and keep ammo up front and in the original factory boxes, no loaded magazines or clips.

We need to get this fixed and BFA is trying despite resistance from the legislature. As always it never hurts to contact your state senators, and tell them you wanted this fixed.