Buying a Yugo SKS [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Yugo SKS


Rick1t
04-06-2007, 10:28
I'm thinking of buying a Yugo SKS for plinking and fun range use.

Any input on the idea would be appreciated.

Would this be an item I could get from a army surplus store? Do they sell guns? Or should I look at real "gun Stores"?

Thanks

Rick

deadite
04-06-2007, 10:32
Mine is cool. I got mine at

www.aimsurplus.com

Not sure if they still have them, but they were pretty inexpensive; like $139.00. They're covered in cosmoline, but it's like going through an intiation. Everyone needs to de-cosmoline a mil-surp just to have the experience. If you think of your time as money, as I do, then a more expensive, "clean one" would be in order.

Where are you in relation to Grand Rapids?

deadite

edited: Wow, looks like they (Aimsurplus) don't have them anymore. If you're in a bind and can't find one, I might be able to make you a deal in a couple of months.

OhioLibertarian
04-06-2007, 10:35
Theres never been an army surplus store I have been to that sold firearms.

To get the best deal you may want to purchase off the internet through a local gun store (you must have an FFL do a transfer for you to buy off the internet)

Rick1t
04-06-2007, 11:40
Deadite, Thanks for the reply.....I travel for work and end up being within 100 miles or so from Lansing at least once a month. My kids live in GR. I am not familier with the term "cosmoline"(what you said ;) ) what does that mean. Was your gun a brand new one packed with grease or something?

Thanks

Rick

OhioLibertarian
04-06-2007, 11:51
Cosmoline is a heavy, sort of yellowish grease that is used to preserve metal and wood....
Guns that have been rearsenaled, are brand new, or just stored for a long time were usually dunked in it...

deadite
04-07-2007, 09:19
Originally posted by Rick1t
Deadite, Thanks for the reply.....I travel for work and end up being within 100 miles or so from Lansing at least once a month. My kids live in GR. I am not familier with the term "cosmoline"(what you said ;) ) what does that mean. Was your gun a brand new one packed with grease or something?

Thanks

Rick

What Ohiolibertarian said, on the cosmoline. :) There are whole webpages devoted to getting the stuff off the guns. Not fun, but a rite of passage.

deadite

KnightOfTheOlde
04-07-2007, 10:20
Originally posted by deadite
What Ohiolibertarian said, on the cosmoline. :) There are whole webpages devoted to getting the stuff off the guns. Not fun, but a rite of passage.

deadite

Deadite, love the user name, Not meaning to hijack but since the original question has been answered. I assume you're a fan of the Evil dead series, I am as well and have even know Bruce Campbell. Has being from Michigan as is Bruce lead to you being a fan off the actor/series?

centennial
04-08-2007, 11:42
Originally posted by OhioLibertarian
Theres never been an army surplus store I have been to that sold firearms.



Kids.
Too bad you're too young to have experienced places like Silverstiens or Epps, to name a few.
These were real military surplus stores that were packed with all the good stuff.
Racks and racks of 1903s, 1017s, M1 Garand and Carbines. Cases and cases of 1911s and 1911-a1s. Mountains of uniforms and web gear, fieldss full of jeeps and amphibeous landing craft. Even a Sherman here and there.
Radios, 'chutes, stretchers, shelters......heck, you name it, it was there.
Nothing beats the smell of cosmoline and damp canvas.

jolt8me
04-09-2007, 04:21
Dunhams sporting goods. Got 2 from them all packed in cosmo. They regularly run a sale $109, usually they are $140 i think.

deadite
04-09-2007, 06:02
Originally posted by KnightOfTheOlde
Deadite, love the user name, Not meaning to hijack but since the original question has been answered. I assume you're a fan of the Evil dead series, I am as well and have even know Bruce Campbell. Has being from Michigan as is Bruce lead to you being a fan off the actor/series?

Thanks, yeah, a big fan. I met him a couple of times at signings, as well. I'm actually from KY, live in DE, and am moving to MI in the very near future, so no, I guess it's just that I like the movies.

deadite

KnightOfTheOlde
04-09-2007, 16:32
Sweet! What part of KY man? My people are from Wheelwright and I also spent alot of time around burnside near cumberland falls.


Originally posted by deadite
Thanks, yeah, a big fan. I met him a couple of times at signings, as well. I'm actually from KY, live in DE, and am moving to MI in the very near future, so no, I guess it's just that I like the movies.

deadite

Blitzer
04-09-2007, 16:44
It is like chicken soup, "It couldn't hurt!"

I got one that was untouched after I used Gun Scrubber on the metal and alcohol on the wood and used lots of pieces of old sheets and tee shirt to rub everything down. I removed the stock and cleaned under it too. I then wet the stock with product known as BALLISTOL: (Link to site) (http://www.firehawktech.com/b%5Eindex01.asp)and the Wood (http://www.firehawktech.com/b%5Ewood.asp) came back to it's natural dull sheen as it was made. Be sure to take out the gas cut off and gas piston and spray Gun Scrubber down the gas tube and run a bore mop in and out of the gas tube to remove all the cosmoline. Then run a pipe cleaner through the barrels gas vent.

A Sweet old shooter it is!


:thumbsup: :supergrin: :banana: :hearts: ;) :)

deadite
04-10-2007, 06:10
Originally posted by KnightOfTheOlde
Sweet! What part of KY man? My people are from Wheelwright and I also spent alot of time around burnside near cumberland falls.

e-mailed ya.

deadite