Question? Portable Fish Finders [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question? Portable Fish Finders

mossy500camo
04-06-2007, 12:29
I am looking for a good "Portable Fish Finder'. I have a 15ft Creek Craft, V Hull fiberglass boat, 9.8hp Mercury, transom mount Motor Guide trolling motor and I need a fish finder. Any suggestions? Thanks Mossy!

KodiakG-22C
04-06-2007, 14:55
Fish Finders are like most things in life. You get what you pay for.
You said "Portable" Is this something you want to take from boat to boat? Or is this something you want to mount on the boat you have and leave it there?

If you want something "Portable" the Fishing Buddy made by Bottom line will be what you’re looking for. It's something you can clamp onto the side of the boat and see what's going on under the water. It will show you bottom contour, depth and fish. It's only about $160 at BassPro. This is very basic. BUT it will do the job.

Now if you want something you can mount a head unit with a transducer mounted on the back of the boat you can spend ALOT more money. They come with everything including GPS. Now with a nice fishfinder or Sonar the resolution will be a lot greater than the fishing buddy. Fishing buddy will show the basics. Something like a Lowrance LMS-480 will not only show you fish and depth you can tell what type of bottom like if it's Hard sand or Soft mud. Also the resolution is so much better that if you go over a tree you can see the branches. You see things with a lot more detail. BUT as I said you get what you pay for. The Lowrance LMS480 is a good quality unit. I have 2 of them on my Ranger. This unit will run around $500. You can get fishfinders that show even more detail and are larger and in color. Top of the line Lowrance is around $2300.

The best thing is to figure out how much you want to spend and go from there. Check them out at BassPro.com. Read up on them and see what features you want and go from there.

GOOD LUCK!!

mossy500camo
04-08-2007, 16:23
KodiakG, I'm just looking for a portable, something to find fish. I will check into the Bottom Line fish finder. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

mossy500camo
04-30-2007, 10:02
I'm looking at a GARMIN 140 /w trolling motor mount transducer.:thumbsup: