IU / Bloomington Ranges [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : IU / Bloomington Ranges

Fenway
04-06-2007, 22:25
I was in Bloomington last week and was staying with a friend who lives by the IU Cross Country course. (behind the golf course near 10th and the bypass.) I was running the course one morning and came across a sign for a shooting range. It was placed on a gate blocking a dirt road. I ran down the road a bit to check it out and couldn't find much. The area looked abandoned. I would assume maybe the IUPD used (or uses) that area.

I wasn't aware of it when I was in school. Does anyone have info on the range?

Also I heard a rumor a range once existed in the bottom of the IMU. I have emailed Rec Sports about this and they deny all existence.

http://www.packing.org/range/indiana/range.php?range=213

Anyone ever shoot at either of these ranges? Is there anywhere to shoot around Bloomington these days besides private property?

dblagent
04-07-2007, 05:07
Yes, that range has been closed for a long time now. I'm not sure when it closed, and the IMU one existed as there used to still be a webpage for it at iu.edu, but it has came down now too. There are no ranges in the Bloomington area, there is one in Freedom which is about exactly 40 minutes from HH Gregg in Bloomington. It is $300 a year though, and there is one in Martinsville but you have to be a member. I joined the one in Martinsville this year and love it as I can shoot so much more now.

Fenway
04-07-2007, 11:04
Thanks for the info. So where does IUPD / BPD shoot?

Originally posted by dblagent
Yes, that range has been closed for a long time now. I'm not sure when it closed, and the IMU one existed as there used to still be a webpage for it at iu.edu, but it has came down now too. There are no ranges in the Bloomington area, there is one in Freedom which is about exactly 40 minutes from HH Gregg in Bloomington. It is $300 a year though, and there is one in Martinsville but you have to be a member. I joined the one in Martinsville this year and love it as I can shoot so much more now.

dblagent
04-07-2007, 13:52
I think they use a Police range in Bedford, that is what I have heard anyway. There is no range here for them at all, there was talk in the paper of a police range opening up but that was a year ago and nothing happened.

seamus
04-15-2007, 06:30
I thought there was an indoor range somewhere in the student union? I thought it was pistol caliber only?

RF7126
04-15-2007, 08:48
A friend of mine (IU student desperately in need of a range) checked on that but was told that it was closed to everyone several years ago.

USMCGLOCKER
04-21-2007, 14:19
Shooting in the Hoosier National Forest south of town is allowed.

here's a web page for evidence...

--->Click Here!<--- (http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/hoosier/recreation/rules_and_regulations.htm)

-Brett

dblagent
04-21-2007, 16:46
Shot there all the time before I joined a real range. I still go there as do my neighbors, nice area to shoot and great backstops with the big ravines in the area too boot. Never had anyone say boo, and there has been some major blasting! :supergrin:

TommyG19
04-22-2007, 21:00
Find "Have Guns Will Sell" on the way to the lake. They've got a range out back and will happily let you shoot. My buddy and I sighted in our slug-guns for deer season there. Just stop in, let them know you're going to shoot, and buy some ammo from them. I know that every once in a while they have some Class III things.

Just a comment regarding shooting in the Forest: If you do, clean up after yourself. Don't leave casings all over the place, etc. Also don't just shoot trees. Put up targets, and then take them back out with you when you leave.

dblagent
04-22-2007, 21:12
I found the mail box for "have guns will sell" but did not find what looked like a store with a quick look. I drove back but there were no cars at all. Is it the building in the back there? I was unaware there was a actual store front there, thanks for the info!

Fenway
04-23-2007, 08:52
Can you suggest any spots in particular? Its a big forest. Where is the best place to park and get into the woods to do some shooting. Thanks for the heads up on this!

Originally posted by dblagent
Shot there all the time before I joined a real range. I still go there as do my neighbors, nice area to shoot and great backstops with the big ravines in the area too boot. Never had anyone say boo, and there has been some major blasting! :supergrin:

USMCGLOCKER
04-23-2007, 16:01
LINK (http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&om=1&z=19&ll=38.997458,-86.373433&spn=0.001474,0.001988&t=h)

Zoom out for an overview. There is parking right there off the road.

It's about a mile from anyone else... and never had any complaints or confrontations of any kind.

dblagent
04-23-2007, 18:40
That is exactly where I go also, seems like quite a few just shoot a little ways off the road there judging from the brass and general slight mess. I go down a little ways into the valley or a little ways from the road.

Also, take a small tarp or something as it really speeds up picking up the brass when you are done! .22s suck and I can admit to never finding all of that once done. Other wise clean up when you're done and enjoy the spot!

USMCGLOCKER
04-23-2007, 21:18
ha! small world.

I have never been there when someone else is there, but clearly there are plenty of people using that spot. Shotgun shells are all over!! I guess that means that there is no issue of disturbing someone, since if that were the case it wouldn't be that popular of a spot. ;)

What do you shoot dblagent?

dblagent
04-23-2007, 21:53
I have a P22 with a TAC65 suppressor, a CZ P-01 and a 10/22 that I have spent way to much on lol. Threaded the barrel on the 10/22 so I can share also. Looking at getting a small CCW piece and a AR at some point also.

That and many, many others after I make many, many more dollars!