Ganer Mtn claims another victim [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ganer Mtn claims another victim

dickdaney
04-07-2007, 16:54
I was out browsing gander mountain for Gun cleaners and other random stuff. I made my usual rounds though the gun counter to see what rip off prices they were charging when I noticed a guy completing a transation. He bought an XD service for $550. That's $120 more than the friendly neighborhood gun dealer charges. I started to feel sorry for the guy, but then I realized he should have done his homework and then he wouldn't have been ripped off. By the way the gander mountain in my area charges $20-$50 more for used guns then my local guy charges for new.

shotcallerz28
04-07-2007, 20:10
Iwas at gander mtn 4 weeks ago they broke it off in some guy he bought 2 guns. i live near gander mtn i will drive 50 milies out of the way rather then buy a gun from them.

webster223
04-07-2007, 20:36
I wish I could find an XD for $430. Around here, $550 is a good deal.

Webster223

coltrane679
04-08-2007, 00:00
In January of this year, I bought a NIB Browing Hi-Power Practical at Gander Mountain for $489--a great fricking deal.

There are good deals to be had there, if you know what you are doing.

Glocks&Ducs
04-08-2007, 08:45
Originally posted by webster223
I wish I could find an XD for $430. Out here in the PRK, $550 is a good deal.

Webster223

Don't worry. I live alot closer to the OP than you do, and they go for between $489 and $630 depending on model and gunshop. Maybe he's thinking of three or four year ago or used prices. OR maybe he has a buddy that sells him XDs for cost plus shipping.

spober
04-09-2007, 20:47
THERE ARE 5 OR 6 FUNSTORES IN MY GENERAL AREA.5-6 DIFFERENT PRICES>DA HUH!!:animlol:

heels23
04-10-2007, 22:15
I bought my G23 from them right before Christmas and only paid $499 for it so i thought i got a pretty good deal the local gun shop wanted $620 though I do live bout an hour from Greensboro.

edrobert
04-11-2007, 11:47
Gander Mountain's prices are steep but better than any of the local stores in Charlotte. I did call on of the salesmen out in the Greensboro store on a used HK P2000 they had priced at $739 when the box showed the price the original owner paid was only $719 :)

dickdaney
04-12-2007, 09:16
Originally posted by edrobert
Gander Mountain's prices are steep but better than any of the local stores in Charlotte. I did call on of the salesmen out in the Greensboro store on a used HK P2000 they had priced at $739 when the box showed the price the original owner paid was only $719 :)

Man, stuff like that burns me up. I was in the store the other day, and they wanted $484 for a used g23 when you can get a new 23 in k-vegas or raleigh for $479

edrobert
04-12-2007, 09:31
It's not just them....it's almost any store since they know many people aren't in the know about what a fair price is. I buy all new guns online or make trades for new ones becuase you get much better deals. The people who don't have online access or aren't internet savvy miss are the ones who miss out and become victims of whatever stores are local to them. Yeah I noticed most of the used guns in Gander Mountains case are for sale at the new price or more.

SBM
04-12-2007, 10:22
Originally posted by dickdaney
I was out browsing gander mountain for Gun cleaners and other random stuff. I made my usual rounds though the gun counter to see what rip off prices they were charging when I noticed a guy completing a transation. He bought an XD service for $550. That's $120 more than the friendly neighborhood gun dealer charges. I started to feel sorry for the guy, but then I realized he should have done his homework and then he wouldn't have been ripped off. By the way the gander mountain in my area charges $20-$50 more for used guns then my local guy charges for new.

Gander Mtn is like any other corporate entity. They charge what they can, BECAUSE they can. They are like Lowes and Home Depot...I go in there and cant BELIEVE some of the prices that they are claiming are wholesale on some things. No matter, the point is that every product has a price...the price is what someone is willing to pay for it.
You wont pay $550 for a XD, but he did. They lost nothing.
I agree their prices for used guns are higher than I would pay, but I shop several of the gun stores in that area, and know the owners, so its a different ballgame. I know the owner of Southern Firearms, but I wont buy from there. His son and I used to be real tight before I moved to CA, and his prices were, and still are, the highest in the area, even surpassing Gander on a few things, but he gets what he gets.
I prefer to shop at Archdale Ammo and Arms. I always get a good price there, and if I need parts or warranty on anything, they bend over backwards to help you.
The one place I will never buy from again, is Daddy Rabbits in Lexington. I wont even go to the gun shows in Salisbury and Lexington, since the owner runs both. Not only is he a jackass, but something about being a sloppy drunk while hes behind the counter bothers me...I dont go in to be preached to while hes pouring another, and I sure dont like the fact that hes unwilling to come down on anything unless you kiss his ass first. Im not the only one that feels that way, and if you ever go in there and hes in a mood...you will see the one or two folks in there leave in short order.

Point is, mom and pops places most always will have a better price. Free market being what it is, allows them to charge what they want, if they can sell it. Everythings got a price, it just might not be your price.
Kinda like when I was selling my Johnson M1941...put it on here, and no one really was interested. Put it on a Johnson board, and found out I was asking about $2000 TOO LITTLE, but it was my price and I was happy to see it go for $3700...was it worth it? It was to someone, even if I had only $200 in it. Did that make it wrong? Nope....the original seller had his price, I had mine, and then there was market value.

BTW...if that was a XD Tac .45, $550 isnt a bad price..its about average retail in this area. It all works out in the end.

Ganders got a new store south of here...didnt see the location, but saw the billboard last night coming home...hard to miss too...black with bright orange print..figure its set up somewhere close to Bass Pro in Concord.
Have to check it out this weekend.

edrobert
04-12-2007, 12:02
Their other store is in Mooresville........mirror image to the one in Greensboro.

reed2u
04-13-2007, 18:41
Just seems strange that mom/pop stores would have the better price. Especially with the Walmart theory. Seems that the bigger stores like gander would have better deals due to the volume of merchandise moved.

I used to buy from Turners out on the west coast They were the best price around due to product moved. Prices/deals seemed to be passed along to the consumers.

SBM
04-13-2007, 18:56
Originally posted by reed2u
Just seems strange that mom/pop stores would have the better price. Especially with the Walmart theory. Seems that the bigger stores like gander would have better deals due to the volume of merchandise moved.

I used to buy from Turners out on the west coast They were the best price around due to product moved. Prices/deals seemed to be passed along to the consumers.

Not really...as a small business owner myself, I understand it fully. I have little overhead, compared to some of the larger outfits around, and I have lost more business for being the low bid than being the highest...not always...just depends on what the persons asking for, and as of late, I dont even worry about losing a bid, work is too plentiful to worry about it.

Look at it this way..and I am not saying this to offend anyone on here, but it is, what it is.....
Gander, and Bass pro for example. They have large stores, fair to pretty damn good selection, and you can get it NOW. They will draw large crowds, thats a given, and its a law of averages: More people=more sales. If you have a large volume of people in the store, on a regular basis, SURE you can charge more for a product than say, your local outfit down the street, because SOMEONES going to buy it. Your smaller outfit wants volume, and cant get the kind of customer base that a large place has...the closest I have seen is a place in Albemarle called Gods Country. Its like a mini Gander, with mom and pops pricing. His volumes not there tho, but you think you have walked into a mini Gander store.
But the smaller stores will normally have the better prices on the firearms, but maybe nothing else. Altho, Archdale Ammo and Arms hasnt let me down there yet...maybe its what I have bought, or maybe I have been there at the right time, but I dont even need to look online for much...other than ammo. Everyones high on ammo.

arj
04-13-2007, 20:34
the only good priced item i've found at Gander was wolf 7.62x39 they had one time for $2.50 a box...so i got 50 boxes. They did have a decent Turkish mauser for $120 a couple weeks ago....and a crappy m1 garand for $1500. I dont know who does their "pricing research"