Bad lands of Sanibel? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bad lands of Sanibel?

Nocturnal
04-08-2007, 08:55
Hi,

we're going for a short vacation to Sanibel next week. Seems like a pretty mellow place but I thought I'd ask if there are any areas to avoid. I don't have a non-resident permit so I'm not bringing my gun. Since we moved to the East coast we'll probably travel to FL more frequently so I'll be getting my permit but it's too late for this trip. Still, even with my gun I'd want to stay away from trouble spots :)

Oh, while I have your attention, any tips on a good fishing tour I can do there? Tarpon maybe? I won't be bringing any gear.

Thanks!

rich52us
04-08-2007, 09:06
Hi. I live in S.E. FL but I've vacationed on Sanibel a couple of times. Sanibel is about as safe as it gets. Sanibel is just off the coast of Ft. Myers, and there are some areas there to avoid but I can't get specific. As far as fishing, check on line. There are many party boats that will provide the gear. Enjoy your vacation.:thumbsup:

Nocturnal
04-08-2007, 09:46
thanks for the response. can't wait to warm up my bones a little. It's supposed to be spring by now darnit! :)

Dual_40's
04-14-2007, 15:38
this might be a little late, but i live there. And no, theres no bad places on the island. You can go just about anywhere and not worry. Now if u leave the island then maybe. Ft. Myers has some sketchy areas.

Dual_40's
04-14-2007, 15:44
I just noticed i said the exact same thing as the guy above. my bad. But just to let you know. Bowmans beach has some of the best surf fishing on the island. Go around dusk. I think theres a bait shop on the island where u can rent gear. but to get to bowmans beach take a right when u get off the causeway on periwinkle and go all the way till it ends. then make another right and go till u get to Hess. then make a left. now you are heading to Captiva. Keep going until you see the firestation. Make a left after the firestation and go to the end and youre at bowmans beach parking area. Best bet is to walk to the right when u get on the beack for a half mile or so to avoid swimmers. Good luck. Ps. after the sun goes down keep your feet out of the water as much as possible. We do alot of shark fishing there around that time. and lets just say those waters are active at that time.

Nocturnal
04-14-2007, 20:02
Just got here a few hours ago. Wonderful first impression. The warm breeze didn't hurt :) Thanks for the tip on keeping your feet out of the water :supergrin:

Catalina
04-27-2007, 19:35
Will be visiting Captiva. With CCW license (Ohio) is it legal to carry on the beaches? Any quirky state park rules? Ding Darling?

What about boats? May charter a fishing trip...

TIA

Nocturnal
04-27-2007, 20:42
I didn't see any restrictions but check packing.org and call Ding to make sure.

Sanibel felt very safe. Didn't see a single shady character the whole week. Locks on the windows of our apartment were marginal suggesting there isn't a great burglary problem. My wife suggested the causeway is the reason. Every car onto the island is video taped. Of course boat access is possible but that's a lot of trouble for petty theft.

I carried pepper spray and a folder wherever I went and never felt it wasn't enough.

Gmountain
04-28-2007, 06:18
Originally posted by Nocturnal
Hi,

we're going for a short vacation to Sanibel next week. Seems like a pretty mellow place but I thought I'd ask if there are any areas to avoid. I don't have a non-resident permit so I'm not bringing my gun.

Thanks!

You are still allowed to have a gun in your car, permit or not.

Dual_40's
04-28-2007, 09:33
Sanibel/Captiva do not have anything posted about no firearms. However the beaches on Ft. Myers do have no Firearms signs. Its legal to carry on a boat, but its also up to the captain of the charter. Im going on a charter tomorrow and plan on carring. Concealed is concealed.

Dual_40's
04-28-2007, 09:34
And as of October of 06 its legal to carry in Florida state parks.

Gmountain
04-28-2007, 09:37
Originally posted by Dual_40's
Sanibel/Captiva do not have anything posted about no firear

The signs on the beaches do not apply to CCW. If it is not specifically prohibited in the statute, it is legal.