Land Prices [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Land Prices


CooperGlocker
04-09-2007, 16:44
I'm looking to break free from the People's Republik of New Jersey, after having a girlfriend who was born and raised in Kentucky, and being on vacation there for 2 weeks. I absolutley love the place. Love the laws, love the people, love the air and the fact that it doesn't smell, Love the water! I love everything about your state!

Right now, I'm a Network Specialist for a For-Profit University with campuses all across the state (none in Kentucky) and this same school is paying for my education within the school. Basically, for working here, I get free classes. I should have my Bachelors Degree in Computer Information Systems sometime within the next 3 years. My girlfriend and I are doing what we can to save money, and my girlfriend's parents want to move back too, so they will probably help us out financially.

I will be going on vacation again this year, and will probably spend another 2 weeks in between Owensboro and Henderson sometime in June, July, or August.

Between now and then, I'd like to get some ideas on land prices per acre. We'd love to buy anywhere between 50 and 500 acres, and I'd prefer to be as far away from major cities as possible, however, Owensboro is pretty much an average town compared to where I live, despite being Kentucky's 3rd largest City, I'd have no problems living on the outskirts of town, far enough away from urban sprawl, but close enough that I can drive for 15 to 30 minutes to convienient shopping and schools. I'd like to be semi-rural. I enjoyed visiting my girlfriend's grandparents who live pretty much between Owensboro and Henderson on Rt. 60. I enjoyed the fact that I could walk out their back door and fire off a rifle or shotgun and nobody really gives a crap, and there's no risk of hitting anybody because there's nobody in sight for miles. Edit: The photo in my avatar was taken there actually! God I miss being out there!

If anybody has any recommendations, land for sale, info on water table depths, links to online resources, or other information that could benefit me, everything would be greatly appreciated.

Go Wildcats!

Gary G23
04-09-2007, 18:35
http://www.realtor.com/FindHome/InterimSearch.asp?typ=1%2C+2%2C+4&mxprice=99999999&mlsttl=&mnbath=0&frm=bymap&pgnum=1&st=KY&mls=xmls&lnksrc=&mnbed=0&js=on&ct=Owensboro&zp=&mnprice=0&poe=realtor&areaid=22642

wprebeck
04-11-2007, 08:01
I bought some land about an hour south of Henderson, just outside of Madisonville. Good deal on it (80 acres for ~$53K), but it'll take some work to build there.

The guy I bought from, Greg, is a realtor with Land Realty, out of Brandenburg. He's always got something on the market, usually in the neighborhood of around $1K/acre or better. I'll get his #, and post back later, or you can try to Google the company.

jkruer01
04-17-2007, 08:37
Not sure how rural you want. Shelbyville is almost in the middle of Lexington and Louisville. You can get land in Shelby County for around $5,000-$8,000/acre. This is for plots of 10-20 acres. I don't know what the prices would be like for 50+ acres.

moreammoplz
04-18-2007, 05:23
You might be better off in Henderson, KY so you are closer to Evansville since they have a better IT job market. I use to be a head hunting for IT folks before Y2K and we did a lot of business in Evansville. Land is on the rise like anything else. I use to ride ATV's a couple weekends a month in that area and knew some folks that were buying land from $1,000 - $1,500 per acre for hunting, atv's, etc. Land gets cheaper the farther down the Pennyrile parkway you go. (Madisonville)

Owensboro is a nice area, but might be harder finding a job there.

ky_glock26
04-27-2007, 11:05
You can get good rural land within 30 minutes of urban areas for between $1500-$2000 an acre if you are looking for large tracks like that.

As for IT jobs...keep your eyes peeled for work from home support jobs. You might be able to find something out of Lexington or Louisville that will allow you to work from home most of the time. You'll still be close enough so that you can come into the office if needed.

Personally I would stay as far from Louisville as possible (I say that as a resident and UL fan). Rural Lexington area is probably the nicest part of the state, but also pretty pricey. Where you are looking, around Owensboro, is also a nice area and you can find land very cheap, but like the guy above says IT jobs are not plentiful down there.

borntoglock
04-30-2007, 02:44
FYI- I have 10 acres for sale in Bullitt Co. (gotta love the name!) for 20k. Very wooded and not far from the Ft. Knox training ground - is that thunder I hear or a happy tanker? PM me if interested.

ky_glock26
04-30-2007, 09:13
The family and I took a trip to the beautiful city of Bardstown over the weekend (well 40 minute drive anyway), home of "My Old Kentucky Home." Bardstown is a great little town. It's very pretty and they still have a lot of small shops. Really has that small time feel. Also its about a 40-50 minute drive from Louisville and you can find land cheap around Bardstown.

You might want to consider the Bardstown area. You could work in Louisville and still come to Louisville if you want any big city amenities and all the while enjoy the country life of the Bluegrass State...

Here is a link to the Bardstown website:

http://www.bardstowntourism.com/main.htm

TreehugginGlock
04-30-2007, 20:10
Originally posted by ky_glock26
The family and I took a trip to the beautiful city of Bardstown over the weekend (well 40 minute drive anyway), home of "My Old Kentucky Home." Bardstown is a great little town. It's very pretty and they still have a lot of small shops. Really has that small time feel. Also its about a 40-50 minute drive from Louisville and you can find land cheap around Bardstown.

You might want to consider the Bardstown area. You could work in Louisville and still come to Louisville if you want any big city amenities and all the while enjoy the country life of the Bluegrass State...

Here is a link to the Bardstown website:

http://www.bardstowntourism.com/main.htm Only problem with Bardstown is that it is very clicky. If you're not a local, I heard it can be a bit difficult to be accepted into the "community". It's a very tight community. If that doesn't bother you, then it is a beautiful area with small town charm with easy access to the big city when you want it.

Nata
05-01-2007, 21:28
Same here.
We decided to visit two weeks ago and we liked more the rural areas.
My boyfriend decided stop by "Buds" in Paris to let my big son shoot at the range but it was closed (SUN).
We have three kids and want to buy a (less expensive) property with some acreage, but first we want to find something to rent to be able to see if we can adapt to the life there.
How are the people in Paris area? What areas can you recomend, further away from big cities?
Thanks

ky_glock26
05-03-2007, 14:41
Originally posted by Nata
Same here.
We decided to visit two weeks ago and we liked more the rural areas.
My boyfriend decided stop by "Buds" in Paris to let my big son shoot at the range but it was closed (SUN).
We have three kids and want to buy a (less expensive) property with some acreage, but first we want to find something to rent to be able to see if we can adapt to the life there.
How are the people in Paris area? What areas can you recomend, further away from big cities?
Thanks

As long as you stay out of the hills the people are great in Ky. The people in the hills may be great as well, but much time spend in Daniel Boone national forest has taught me that the hillbillies are definitely crazy as hell (not unlike the ones depicted in "Deliverance").

Ky is full of uninhabited places. There are entire counties with only gravel roads. Hart County is a good place to look, it's right off I-65 and close enough to the places you need to go (like grocery, etc.) but full of cheap land. Keep in mind that most counties in Ky are dry, not too worry though there is always a bootlegger.

Nata
05-03-2007, 19:49
Thank you ky_glock26, for the info, we gonna check out Hart County area asap.
I hope is a big diference between not being accepted and open hostility, and violence against newcomers, talking about "Deliverance". :(
We have kids, the youngest one is 3 years old and the last thing I want for them is to be in some kind of danger.
Socializing, and neighbours, I could not care less about, if my home would be .5 miles away from theirs.
I supose when mentioning the hills, you are refering to SE part of KY, Pikeville area? We did not visit that area yet, last time we looked around Frankfort, Lexington rural areas and N towards OH border.

Also, what kind of animals, reptiles and bugs are we likely to encounter in KY?

ky_glock26
05-03-2007, 21:19
Originally posted by Nata
Thank you ky_glock26, for the info, we gonna check out Hart County area asap.
I hope is a big diference between not being accepted and open hostility, and violence against newcomers, talking about "Deliverance". :(
We have kids, the youngest one is 3 years old and the last thing I want for them is to be in some kind of danger.
Socializing, and neighbours, I could not care less about, if my home would be .5 miles away from theirs.
I supose when mentioning the hills, you are refering to SE part of KY, Pikeville area? We did not visit that area yet, last time we looked around Frankfort, Lexington rural areas and N towards OH border.

Also, what kind of animals, reptiles and bugs are we likely to encounter in KY?

Correct the hills I speak of would be considered the eastern Ky and Appalachian areas (Deliverance stuff there and yes Pikeville is in that area).

Hart county is central Ky. The people are great there. I have a friend that bought 50 arces in the middle of no where in Hart county and I love to visit him. He lives in a small town (just post office and a couple of gas stations) called Cub Run. Great little place. The gas station has a restaurant inside with good breakfast. Didn't take long to get to know many of the locals, always the same people in there.

Hart county has a lot of Amish folks. Generally they are good people and mind their own business, just be sure to be careful on the roads as I have flown around a corner (speed limits are 55 on most of those country roads) or two only to encounter a black buggy.

Hart county is about 1.5 hours from Louisville, 1 hour from Nashville, 30 minutes from Bowling Green and 45 minutes from E-town and Nolin lake and Mammoth Cave are close by. Kids will love Guntown Mountain, I did as a kid and still do.

Nata
05-03-2007, 22:49
Sounds great!!
We gonna visit that area in our next trip :)

Green Hell
05-08-2007, 11:37
Originally posted by TreehugginGlock
Only problem with Bardstown is that it is very clicky. If you're not a local, I heard it can be a bit difficult to be accepted into the "community". It's a very tight community. If that doesn't bother you, then it is a beautiful area with small town charm with easy access to the big city when you want it.

That's not true. Bardstown is a very welcoming town with an international flare. There are people from all over the country living in my neighborhood and we're all great friends. I am a member of several civic clubs and organizations and everyone is welcome.

Bardstown is host to several transplant compaines who bring in folks from all over the world and integration into our little town is easy.

We just like for the people in Bullet and Hardin Counties to think we're clicky to keep the rifraf out. J/K:tongueout:

Flinter
05-09-2007, 20:19
I will give some advice here. One thing to consider in Kentucky and most any other rural type state, is your children. I grew up in BFE, Kentucky and it was great doing so, but on the flip side about the only entertainment on weekends was going out and drinking, and driving Dukes Of Hazard style. Something else to consider is job opertunities. Yes, there are jobs in the more backwater counties, but they are not as easily found. Access to the I-64 Lexington-Louisville corridor increases oportunity, but land prices rise accordingly.

I can also give first hand experience with Frankfort. TOO POLITICAL, avoid the capital.

fryeg7
05-09-2007, 20:57
this thread is going to make me get a divorce and move to the hills . . . . :banana:

frye

michael t
05-11-2007, 19:17
I'm in Washington county from my home Bardstown about 40 Louisville 43 and Lexington 45 Rolling hills and reasonable realstate
I left Lexington 6 years ago and neven looked back

ky_glock26
05-11-2007, 19:40
Originally posted by fryeg7
this thread is going to make me get a divorce and move to the hills . . . . :banana:

frye

lol

ky_glock26
05-11-2007, 19:45
Originally posted by Flinter
I will give some advice here. One thing to consider in Kentucky and most any other rural type state, is your children. I grew up in BFE, Kentucky and it was great doing so, but on the flip side about the only entertainment on weekends was going out and drinking, and driving Dukes Of Hazard style. Something else to consider is job opertunities. Yes, there are jobs in the more backwater counties, but they are not as easily found. Access to the I-64 Lexington-Louisville corridor increases oportunity, but land prices rise accordingly.

I can also give first hand experience with Frankfort. TOO POLITICAL, avoid the capital.

Correct...this cat knows from experience.

My favorite hobbies are drinking (first on list), riding dirt bikes (and I am 30 years old and still love dirt bikes (I have two), my dad is 46 and the best rider I have seen in person...), fishing, shooting and...cooking.

If you get your kids involved in outdoor activities they will love Ky!!!

CooperGlocker
05-13-2007, 00:22
I'm definitley glad I let this thread ferment for a while. Lots of very useful information here. It's all being weighed very carefully. It's way late where I am right now, and I promise a bigger and better response soon.