Web Site Builder [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Web Site Builder

vw.tech
04-09-2007, 19:54
Well teh time has finally come that I am going to attempt to build my own web site. I have my domain and hosting. I was playing with the builder that 1and1.com gives you and it seems kind of bland. I am looking for somthing more "flashy" (pun intended) I would like to have a good looking flash website mostly aimed at my offroad addiction.

I was wondering if you guys had any reccomendations. On my site I would like to have a few different pages. Such as, a decent home page, links, tech write ups with seperate pages for each write up....
i.e.
Tech>Drivetrain>Axles>Ring and Pinion Swap.

A picture gallery with seperate folders for each trail ride, and another page of variouse stuff, funny videos, links, etc, just other stuff not related to Jeeps.

You can see the current page at www.notmyj.com

Any ideas or reccomendation? I dont know HTML, nor do I have the time to write page after page of code. I am fammiliar with FileZilla. I use that as my FTP Client. Anyhting I am missing? I'm trying to do this on the cheap, but I will spend the money if its worth it... I guess I am going for best bang for the buck.

Thanks!!!

David_G17
04-10-2007, 08:54
Originally posted by vw.tech
... I am looking for somthing more "flashy" (pun intended) I would like to have a good looking flash website mostly aimed at my offroad addiction.

I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations...

yeah, don't. ;)

flash-based websites are always difficult to navigate, take forever to load, and will end up frustrating your audience.

best bang for your buck? google "html tutorial" - it's not as hard as you'd think. most 12 year olds can write html.

Chillin
04-10-2007, 21:36
If you have the money you can buy a program like dreamweaver which will write the html for you as your work. (IE you drag and drop a picture and it will write the html tag for you) but sense you are looking for a cheaper alternative there are a lot of sites that will help you with the basics of html. Here are some SS's of some sites I did a couple years ago ( I was still in high school)

Chillin
04-10-2007, 21:41
another

elderboy02
04-12-2007, 16:16
Buy a book on HTML and use notepad.

If you don't use notepad to do your webpages, you will get a bunch of crap code inserted and it will be a major pain in the arse to maintain your pages.