Best CCW Course Utah County? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best CCW Course Utah County?

mudmanfloyd
04-09-2007, 19:54
I know Rangemasters, Gunnies, Cabela's and the Orem rec. center offer CCW courses.
I was wondering where you guys got your CCW's, prices and quality of course info.
Just bought a g19 and I am looking to get my CCW.

THANKS

Steve Koski
04-09-2007, 20:32
Take a course from Dell Schanze. He's a real role model for CCW holders.

Timpinutah
04-09-2007, 20:58
I took my class at RangeMasters. Mike Stilwell taught the class. Mike was extremely entertaining and informative. The guy really seemed to know his stuff. The four hours I spent in his class was the fastest four hours in my life. If I remember right, the price was very reasonable also.

Steve Koski
04-09-2007, 22:13
Mike (& Ron) Stilwell Rocks!

UtahBen
04-10-2007, 02:45
Originally posted by Steve Koski
Take a course from Dell Schanze. He's a real role model for CCW holders. :laughabove:

He is a good role model if you are referring to the case where he drew on people that threatened his life and the life of his daughter.

Anyone who has a CCW and wouldn't do the same is a fool.

RyDC
04-10-2007, 10:24
Orem Rec center is where I got mine.
I paid right around sixty bucks for everything, and the course was taught by a couple deputies who brought an appreciated LEO perspective to the whole CCW thing.

And they gave me a bunch (like, a dozen or so) one day passes to the Orem Rec range, which is kind of cool too. Essentially, they subsidize your practice costs.

RMTactical
04-10-2007, 11:43
Originally posted by Steve Koski
Take a course from Dell Schanze. He's a real role model for CCW holders.

Is he an NRA instructor?

phox_mulder
04-10-2007, 13:45
Originally posted by RMTactical
Is he an NRA instructor?

Does he even have his CCW anymore?

I'm thinking it got revoked after that incident.

Bringing a gun to a rock fight.

phox

Bigsteve
04-10-2007, 16:25
Originally posted by mudmanfloyd
I know Rangemasters, Gunnies, Cabela's and the Orem rec. center offer CCW courses.
I was wondering where you guys got your CCW's, prices and quality of course info.
Just bought a g19 and I am looking to get my CCW.

THANKS

Search KSL classifieds here http://www.ksl.com/?nid=231&cat=249

there are lots of instructors and classes there. I took one from Stratigic tactical group. It was only $20 including fingerprints. I went and had my photo taken at costo for $6 bucks. I think STG now charges $25 but still a good deal. They often times have classes in South Jordan on saturdays. Or better yet, get 4 friends together and he will come to your house for a group of 5 for a class. Thats a great deal!

Bigsteve

Mallan
04-10-2007, 16:50
Originally posted by phox_mulder
Does he even have his CCW anymore?

I'm thinking it got revoked after that incident.

Bringing a gun to a rock fight.

phox
Dell was cleared of all gun charges. He was nailed with a "Fraudulent statement" charge. He made some misstatements in his police report.

Being a huge jerk is stupid, but not against the law, though that is probably the real basis for the actual charge that got him.

I doubt he lost his CFP, but then we can't know as that isn't public record.

phox_mulder
04-10-2007, 19:12
Maybe I'm thinking of someone else that lost theirs due to stupidity.

Someone in city or state government that fired a warning shot, ended up getting cited for discharging a weapon in city limits, and lost the right to CC.

This was a while back, 5 years or more.

Could be wrong in my memories of that event as well.

phox

ustate
04-10-2007, 21:50
I don't remember their names but I took my class during a gun show held up at the fair grounds near Ogden about 10-11 years ago.

Cokeman
04-11-2007, 01:35
Mine was free at the U of U. Chris from Strategic Tactical Group taught the class. I paid $5 for finger prints and $8 for the pictures. The processing fee for BCI was $59. $72 total. Look on ksl.com in the classifieds under Firearm and Hunting Services.

mend
04-20-2007, 18:50
You can sign up for classes here (http://www.justiceeducationsecurity.com) $75 dollars for everything.

Cokeman
04-20-2007, 20:18
That sounds pretty expensive unless they offer shooting training with the class or they pay the state processing fees. If not, that is one of the most expensive I have seen.

Also, the link doesn't seem to work.

dgsaudio
04-21-2007, 00:57
Hey Cokeman, what was the deal with the classes up at the U? Are they a regular thing? Sounds like a great deal to me.

reerc
04-22-2007, 10:58
I got mine at Gunnies before I knew about RangeMasters. It was OK, but I'd shop around.

His printer ended up not working, and we had to go out and get our own ID photos taken wherever we could find - kind of a hassle - then get someone else to notarize the application to send it in.

Definitely not "one-stop-shopping", but maybe that's the way it is everywhere, and I was expecting it to be easier than it was.

GixxerSixxer
04-22-2007, 11:01
Larry Correia at FBMG is offering free classes to students, staff, and faculty at any utah school (elementary, JH, HS, college).

Call the store or send Larry an email for more info.

Cokeman
04-22-2007, 23:55
Originally posted by dgsaudio
Hey Cokeman, what was the deal with the classes up at the U? Are they a regular thing? Sounds like a great deal to me.

Chris from Strategic Tactical Group was the teacher. He said in the class that he decided to do it to say 'middle finger' to the president of the U for trying to ban weapons on campus.

dgsaudio
04-23-2007, 10:57
Nice! I'm going to the U next semester, and want to carry. I probably will go through STG cause i got a group together to do it, and i think i saw they do the class free for military (if that includes UTARNG) but either way, it will be happening.

mudmanfloyd
04-26-2007, 03:47
FBMG????? What is that? You have a phone number or email address?
Thanks.

Sambolijah
04-26-2007, 12:04
Originally posted by mudmanfloyd
FBMG????? What is that? You have a phone number or email address?
Thanks.

http://www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=37&t=265950

first post in the that thread.