Night fishing [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Night fishing

RWBlue
04-10-2007, 21:07
Talk to me about night fishing.

What works what doesn't?
What bites at night?

Do fish sleep? OR do the fish I normally see, catch in the daylight move around and eat at night?

Pepiot
04-10-2007, 21:24
You can't beat going catfishing at night it's a blast

mossy500camo
04-10-2007, 23:39
Originally posted by RWBlue

What works what doesn't?
What bites at night?

Catfish bite at night.

I like Crappie fishing at night. Just turn on that Coleman Lantern and fish until you drop.:thumbsup:

nipperwolf
04-12-2007, 18:29
Originally posted by RWBlue

heeellllllllooooooooooo

what are you fishing for?

;)

RWBlue
04-12-2007, 18:45
Originally posted by nipperwolf
heeellllllllooooooooooo

what are you fishing for?

;)

That is kind of a the point. I have access to creeks, a decent river (not a big river), and several lakes. And I think I will have more time at night than day this summer. Not to mention that the wind tends to die down at night so moving around in the canoe will be easier at night.

So what should I be fishing for?

I mean if cats and crappies are the only things moving at night then I will give up on Wally, the bass brothers (white, large and small).

THEPOPE
04-12-2007, 20:42
On many waters, night fishing isn't only a great option, but on reservoirs, like in the mid-south Dale Hollow for one, summertime night fishing is sorta the only way to large spottede bass and largemouth bass, small-mouth bass....too hot durring the day.

I have caught most species at night when I was much younger, and my sight was much better, can't do it any more, bad night vision problems....

Sound emitting lures, ie, hula poppers, chuggers, and the like will elicit explosive strikes at night, but subtle baits work, too.

Bass and other kinds of fish are looking up, into the sky, so to speak, and the see the contrasts and water surface broken up by lures.

Bass and most fish also can see far better than we can in dark waters...they have no trouble finding food at night, and they will move shallower durring these times to avoid predators, too.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Ime out ;)

RWBlue
04-12-2007, 21:20
How about trolling at night?

Pyzik
04-19-2007, 07:42
Grab your self some decent line, some sinkers, good hooks and some chicken liver(some folks use thread to help the liver stay on the hook). Head to your river, find a hole and start dragin' out some lunker cats!

UTKEngineer
05-01-2007, 14:14
Sorry to open a stale thread, but I don't get in this forum very often and wanted to comment.

I recently moved to Texas and haven't had the time to do any fishing around here, but I did fish quite a bit back in TN.

One thing I DO know, is night fishing is the best there is. You can go after almost anything you want. Fish sleep kinda like dogs, if nothing is happening, they'll doze off. But they're wide away at the slightest sound, smell, or vibration. So, it being night in no way decreases their activity or appetite.

As far as how to fish, how do you want to? One of my favorite ways to unwind was to get a 6 pack (ok, ok, SEVERAL six packs) and head down to the local river. A coal fired power plant was located in a bend in the river. The warmer water from the condensate boosted plant life, which boosted minnow life which boosted.... Hell. Long story short, it was a smorgasboard for fish. Either go the chicken liver route or use cut bait if legal, put 3 - 5 rods with cut bait out and into rod holders. Reels in freespool with the clicker engaged. Commence drinking beer. The bigger cats are more active at night. Large blues and flat heads will be prowling near drop offs and in oxbows looking for anything edible.

Buddy of mine loved to take weekend camping trips to this one lake in NE Tn which featured crystal clear and very cool water. He would troll reflective spoons from one side to the other for a few hours, normally hooking up trout and walleyes, then he'd sneak into a cove, drop a floating light on the surface, wait 20 - 30 mins and you've got a feeding frenzy. The light attracted bugs, attracted small fish, attracted some VERY hungry walleye.

When the crappie are running, you can always catch them on minnows.

As for bass, I've never really went for them at night, but I don't see why they wouldn't be just as eager as other fish.

T-Dubb
05-01-2007, 21:17
bass fishin is the best at night! throw some buzz baits along the edge of the water an shore....I try an stay about 3-5 feet off shore. they will hammer that thing all night long