Carry permit question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carry permit question

glocktecher
04-10-2007, 21:17
I am a little confused about the "new" process in GA.

How is the new renewal process different from the old?

Is the new process, or background check, the same thing as if someone was going in a store and buying without a permit to carry?

Are the new licenses still good for, what is it, 5 years?

Cost?

I have my permit, but for a time it did not matter. The dealer still had to call the line for approval the same as if I did not have a license. Is this the same thing as the "new" background check for renewals? Easier, tougher, or what is the difference.

Many thanks.

squirtgun
04-11-2007, 12:08
Originally posted by glocktecher
I am a little confused about the "new" process in GA.

How is the new renewal process different from the old?

Is the new process, or background check, the same thing as if someone was going in a store and buying without a permit to carry?

Are the new licenses still good for, what is it, 5 years?

Cost?

I have my permit, but for a time it did not matter. The dealer still had to call the line for approval the same as if I did not have a license. Is this the same thing as the "new" background check for renewals? Easier, tougher, or what is the difference.

Many thanks.

Try georgiapacking.org

Wiley
04-11-2007, 18:03
What squirtgun said. In essence it is not a renewal so much as a reapplication. The difference is that on a 'renewal' you can get a temporary license (90 days before to 30 days after) "if" the probate judge will issue one.

The whole reapp. thing is so that you can use your GFL in leu of a NICS check.

MalumProhibitum
04-30-2007, 18:15
Originally posted by Wiley
The difference is that on a 'renewal' you can get a temporary license (90 days before to 30 days after) "if" the probate judge will issue one.

The list of probate judges that will issue one is growing all the time.

http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/category/action-items/temporary-licenses/